• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How much action in your career?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Now that I don't doubt. I don't think boredom is a fear given all the stuff you are all talking about in these threads, but I guess I was expecting a little more of the sexy stuff... dogfights, evading surface to air missiles, reconnaissance, fighting aliens - stuff like that. Reading, rereading, rereading, drilling and practicing ad nauseum is all well and good but it would be nice to actually challenge yourself with some action.

You challenge yourself by continuing to get new quals and flying better than you have previously. There is a point where you may reach the asymptotic limit of your abilities, but you still need to work at keeping yourself there. There's also the challenge of doing your ground job well. It's a full time job flying an event, doing your paperwork, taking care of your guys, AND being an active member of JOPA.

That said, you may find you're getting bored after a while. I did towards the end of my fleet tour. I'm there now, as well. The beauty is that you know you're going somewhere else to do something new in a few months, which is one of the many things I enjoy about Naval Aviation.

Huggy Bear

pilot
My airwing was fortunate to participate in the invasions of afghanistan and iraq. In fact, we were the first on the scene after 9/11. We were on our way home and just off the coast of Oman when that went down. The ship changed direction within the hour.

We dropped a lot, but nothing too exciting. Explosions from 20,000 feet don't look to cool. I think I mostly just moved a lot of rock around (bombing caves). Nobody on the ground ever put us in danger. They didn't have anything that could reach above 10000'.

In Iraq the targets were much more interesting. We almost never launched knowing what we would drop on. We'd tank and get in contact with a FAC who would put our ordnance on something. The weather was crap so it was usually GPS weapons and often I'd be dropping through the clouds. The Iraqis had a robust air defense network, but they were asleep at the wheel. They would put a lot of lead and sometimes sams in the air, but almost never guided. Hell, they even buried their air force. It was nothing like what they faced in desert storm.

A lot of my buds coming back recently say they have been doing a lot of strafing. Never got a chance to do that.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
Well, don't forget how this is packaged and sold by the armed forces. I assure you on the commercials they do not show pictures of fighters studying, reading, doing more studying and then preparing to train again, again and again.

Can't blame me for working with the only picture I've got.

True, but I have to wonder how you could have survived so long with seemingly so little common sense. :confused:

Prove me wrong, please!

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Now that I don't doubt. I don't think boredom is a fear given all the stuff you are all talking about in these threads, but I guess I was expecting a little more of the sexy stuff... dogfights, evading surface to air missiles, reconnaissance, fighting aliens - stuff like that. Reading, rereading, rereading, drilling and practicing ad nauseum is all well and good but it would be nice to actually challenge yourself with some action.

Head to the book thread and start reading about the folks who've neen there, done that instead of watching movies. "Wings of Fury" might be a good start for you.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The way you asked your initial question, is kind of like someone saying to a bunch of doctors, "I've been watching "General Hospital" for years and really want to go to med school, but now it seems like being a doctor's not like the show at all!"

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
The way you asked your initial question, is kind of like someone saying to a bunch of doctors, "I've been watching "General Hospital" for years and really want to go to med school, but now it seems like being a doctor's not like the show at all!"

Wait, so General Hospital isn't realistic? What about ER???:eek:

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Hey, ....So I've been reading these threads and it seems like military aviation with fighter jets is not like what I imagined. ..... Assess your career so far... how much time do you spend and doing what?
HEY!! So I've been reading these threads too and this has got to be one of the dumbest to appear in the last 2-3 years.

Suggestion: don't start typing on the keyboard or start a new thread every time a new thought enters your head.

Do some homework on your own, Junior. This isn't Naval Aviation day-care.

Assess your "career" so far.

Then come back & see us ....

lockedfb1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.