• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Imminent danger pay area shrinking?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It looks like DoD is looking at cutting the number of locations where folks will be eligible for imminent danger pay. Frankly I think it is a bit overdue, I never could reconcile how folks in the CAOC in Qatar were getting the same danger pay as the folks in Iraq and Afghanistan not to mention the former Yugoslavia over a decade after the shooting there stopped.

Even though it makes perfect sense to me some folks aren't happy at the prospect, according to some we should cut modernization of the Navy and Air Force instead. Apparently you can risk life and limb by hanging out in the bars and malls of Bahrain and Malaysia. I guess these folks hadn't herad of hostile fire pay which pays the same amount when actually attacked in areas not covered by imminent danger pay. I do think as the wars wind down some folks will have a hard time adjusting to new pay realities, I saw some folks downrange that had gotten very used to all the extra pay that came with being deployed.

Renegade One

None
It looks like DoD is looking at cutting the number of locations where folks will be eligible for imminent danger pay. Frankly I think it is a bit overdue, I never could reconcile how folks in the CAOC in Qatar were getting the same danger pay as the folks in Iraq and Afghanistan not to mention the former Yugoslavia over a decade after the shooting there stopped.
Agree. It was a "quietly successful good deal" until it couldn't bear the scrutiny. Are Federal/State "tax-free bennies" tied to IDP? They go away too?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Of course, nobody likes to give up $$$, but we ought to have a realistic determination on what constitutes "imminent danger." As was mentioned in the article, if you're allowed to do an accompanied tour there, then it probably shouldn't qualify for imminent danger pay.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Good. It's about damn time. The only imminent danger Zoomies face by sitting by the pool at the 'Deid is sunburn.

2013 will be my first year of no tax free or ID/HF pay since hitting the fleet in '06. Bummer.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
The funny thing is the flying I did this last deployment over the GOO NAG/CAG/SAG was way more dangerous than anything I did in support of OIF/OND. Got paid the same HDP for both. Got shot at during neither....

Surf

pilot
It is too bad they had to cut the money they saved from the budget. If they did this before the sequester perhaps the money could have been reallocated for a pay bump where it made more sense. Nice to see bureaucracy work like it should though!

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
Fuck...
I agree with Flash, R1, AND Brett327 that this is a good idea.
I'm getting kicked off IWAGR...
Pickle
Noted and brought to the attention of the powers that be, it might be a bit rough logging into that IWAGR account since this transgression. I suggested a permaban, but was shot down by your peers! Still it will be a rough ride my countrymen! :)

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Noted and brought to the attention of the powers that be, it might be a bit rough logging into that IWAGR account since this transgression. I suggested a permaban, but was shot down by your peers! Still it will be a rough ride my countrymen! :)
... And just who are your peers, shipmate?

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
It's about time. Yeah, losing pay sucks but it's not very much to begin with and it's kind of stupid to say that you're in "imminent danger."