• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Interesting Jet Noise Complaint

tlord82

pilot
By the way does anyone have any good aviation movie/film recommendations? I'm getting tired of watching a hot chic whose lost that lovin' feelin' =)

FLIGHT OF THE INTRUDER

"We had a MiG after us. We did an engine shutdown to throw him off."
"In the middle of combat? Whew. Cool move."
"Cool as a jewel."

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Damn! It's 2007 already?!! Good call. It was 2005. My young brain just farted.

It's been around the world in cyberspace many times since 2005 and seems to have a life of its own cropping up again and again, but it's a good read.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
That guy has nothing to complain about - the people that live around bases w/ Harriers have it the worst.

Hi-power turns make any conversation nearby (read: a mile or two radius) impossible.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
It's not the noise that you should worry about. It's when the noise stops in mid-air that things get dicey. Besides, Prowlers are way freaking louder.

All kidding aside, I seriously fail to understand where these people are coming from with their noise complaints. I live and work basically directly under the pattern (depending on what runway is in use) at Cherry Point, and while it can be irritating trying to talk outside, that really is the upper limit of my frustration. Even my wife, who had ZERO exposure to anything military before meeting me, and who likes to go to sleep well before local quiet hours begin here has no issues. Maybe I'm just used to it after prolonged exposure to that type of noise, but I don't hear anyone I work with or live near complaining about it either.

In fact, the only noise issues I have are a result of living amongst the unwashed masses of Havelock, NC, and generally a stern, "Shut the fuck up," does the trick. But that's a different topic altogether.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Besides, Prowlers are way freaking louder.

Did a special projects det with VAQ-35 circa Sept 92 out of Randolph AFB. We launched five Prowlers at 0630. Came back to the CO of the base who informed us had just quadrupled his base noise complaints for the year in one launch.

10 J-52 P408A's is THE sound of freedom baby.......

OldNavy

When I was NX Maintenance Chief in VAW-120, we had to time our low power turns with returning aircraft taxiing down the old seaplane ramp so we didn't disturb the residents of Willoughby Spit. The base CDO's and I were on a first name basis because they called me so often.
Usually it was:
"Damnit Chief, you guys turning aircraft?"
"No sir, just recovering a launch"
"Right. OK Chief, talk to you in a couple of days!"

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
All kidding aside, I seriously fail to understand where these people are coming from with their noise complaints. I live and work basically directly under the pattern (depending on what runway is in use) at Cherry Point, and while it can be irritating trying to talk outside, that really is the upper limit of my frustration. Even my wife, who had ZERO exposure to anything military before meeting me, and who likes to go to sleep well before local quiet hours begin here has no issues. Maybe I'm just used to it after prolonged exposure to that type of noise, but I don't hear anyone I work with or live near complaining about it either.

After spending a week under the 90 for runway 14 at Oceana while they were doing pre-deployment bounces at 2am, I'm more than happy to admit it's the noise. Personally, I think it is annoying when it's a daily thing. Not because it's not necessary or because I'm against the military (obviously), but just because it's loud noise. HOWEVER, that doesn't mean I'm going to be one of the idiots who complain because I bought a house next to an airfield that's been there for 50 years. I guess put simply, I can empathize, but I have no sympathy.

My personal favorite noise complain was while I was up at Oceana this summer:

"There are orange and white as well as blue prop airplanes that are buzzing my house and it's disturbing my knitting."

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
I understand what you're saying, and I guess I can see how it would bother some people. But it really just doesn't bother me that much. Now, if my in-laws were in town and the lawn darts were keeping them awake at 0200, then we'll have issues. Because if mami and papi ain't happy, there's ZERO sleep available for the taking, trust me. Otherwise, they can fly all damn night and won't bother me.