• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Interservice Transfer - Marines to Navy

Cobra Commander

Awesome Bill from Dawsonville
pilot
Take out the USAA loan, get on PTAD as soon as your OSO lets you, and buy a cheap car. Don't be dumb, dude. You'll make plenty of cash to pay off your debt once Uncle Sam starts paying your salary. Going to the Navy recruiter isn't going to get you paid any faster and it's going to piss everyone off in your OSO office.

Silhouette

I just was talking to my friend I worked with at the NRD, if you declined to get commissioned and IF the boards go down in the spring for the USN and IF you were picked up, you MIGHT be able to go to OCS about the same time you would be leaving for TBS, but given what I just found out you probably wouldn't.
NavyOffRec or any other wise soul who may be able to offer insight -- This is a bit of a threadjack, but fits so nicely into the title of the thread.
I am currently an active duty enlisted Marine and just received a pro rec from the July board. I do have an approved conditional release, and I will not/cannot go to OCS until January at the earliest because I won't have my degree until December. My question: Will my leave transfer when I swear into the Navy right before departing for OCS, or will I have to burn it/sell it before then? My OR is not familiar with the process for ISTs, and I'm a bit at a loss as far as any pubs that would offer insight. Thank you in advance for any assistance!

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Or just cut to the chase and move in with a fat girl that owns a car.

About as useful as my suggestion which is to go check in at Mike Company and do all the mindless tasks for Lt pay for 10 months. your orders have a No Later Than date and you have a class up date. There isn't a No Earlier Than date, right?

exNavyOffRec

NavyOffRec or any other wise soul who may be able to offer insight -- This is a bit of a threadjack, but fits so nicely into the title of the thread.
I am currently an active duty enlisted Marine and just received a pro rec from the July board. I do have an approved conditional release, and I will not/cannot go to OCS until January at the earliest because I won't have my degree until December. My question: Will my leave transfer when I swear into the Navy right before departing for OCS, or will I have to burn it/sell it before then? My OR is not familiar with the process for ISTs, and I'm a bit at a loss as far as any pubs that would offer insight. Thank you in advance for any assistance!

The problem I see is that I believe you would be going from AD USMC to IRR USN then to AD USN when you arrive at OCS, unless they have something worked out where you will go from AD USMC to AD USN. If it is AD USMC to IRR USN then to AD USN you will have to sell your leave back/use it.

Silhouette

The problem I see is that I believe you would be going from AD USMC to IRR USN then to AD USN when you arrive at OCS, unless they have something worked out where you will go from AD USMC to AD USN. If it is AD USMC to IRR USN then to AD USN you will have to sell your leave back/use it.
That's what I thought might be the case. I do kind of wish AD to AD was possible, but I think I would need to leave enough time for all the admin stuff to go through on the Navy side (and the Marine Corps side as far as the release) before I report to OCS. Do you think two weeks is too little/too much time for that?

exNavyOffRec

That's what I thought might be the case. I do kind of wish AD to AD was possible, but I think I would need to leave enough time for all the admin stuff to go through on the Navy side (and the Marine Corps side as far as the release) before I report to OCS. Do you think two weeks is too little/too much time for that?

That would be best answered by the people that do the admin.

Silhouette

That would be best answered by the people that do the admin.
Got it. I am already worried about my admin shop messing this up (the release), so I will be doing plenty of research between now and January in order to walk them through it/recognize if it is messed up. As always, I appreciate your insight. Thank you very much.

exNavyOffRec

Got it. I am already worried about my admin shop messing this up (the release), so I will be doing plenty of research between now and January in order to walk them through it/recognize if it is messed up. As always, I appreciate your insight. Thank you very much.

I just realized how easy the answer is, the title of the thread threw me since what you are doing isn't an IST, you will be discharged and issued a DD214, just like the person we took from AD USAF to USN OCS, an easy way to think of this is that this would be no different if you were just leaving the USMC after your 4 years.

Silhouette

Start with the milpersman.
That makes so much sense, I couldn't figure it out on my own, lol. I kept thinking there was going to be a specific pub that would cover this, but you are right. Everything is in the milpersman. Sounds like a job for this Saturday. Thank you!

Silhouette

I just realized how easy the answer is, the title of the thread threw me since what you are doing isn't an IST, you will be discharged and issued a DD214, just like the person we took from AD USAF to USN OCS, an easy way to think of this is that this would be no different if you were just leaving the USMC after your 4 years.
That does make sense... I guess I didn't realize that I would actually be receiving a 214. I guess I'll get it after the fact because the Marine Corps won't issue one until I inform them that I have 'accepted an appointment,' at which time they will make my discharge effective the day prior to that appointment. At least it says something to that effect on my conditional release approval.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have found more relevant stuff in the MILPERSMAN over the years than just about any other pub. The enterprising officer keeps a copy on their computer's desktop (along with the Navy Correspondence Manual). ;)

Silhouette

I have found more relevant stuff in the MILPERSMAN over the years than just about any other pub. The enterprising officer keeps a copy on their computer's desktop (along with the Navy Correspondence Manual). ;)
This I will not forget, as I hope to one day become said enterprising officer. :D

exNavyOffRec

That does make sense... I guess I didn't realize that I would actually be receiving a 214. I guess I'll get it after the fact because the Marine Corps won't issue one until I inform them that I have 'accepted an appointment,' at which time they will make my discharge effective the day prior to that appointment. At least it says something to that effect on my conditional release approval.
We had this issue before, they have to coordinate as you have to be discharged by the usmc prior to you being in USN, and by that I mean before you sign any enlistment paperwork