• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Iran parade flyover does not go as planned

Pap

Naval Aviator
pilot
some of you think Iran is our good buddy just because open hostilities haven't been declared.

No.

I hope that each and every one of them dies as a result of their own stupidity. The weaker they are, the more effectively we'll be able to deal with them if that balloon goes up.

There is nothing wrong with having a wish list. I just don’t agree with mocking the death of aviators involved in a mishap. It could have been you or anyone else you know who wears a flight suit. I also would rather not give the impression that professional Naval Officers like to gloat over the accidental death of members of the armed services of another nation.

Just because another nations might make a public display of our blunders, does not mean that we must do the same. We have the most professional and competent military in the history of the planet. We don’t need to act like retards on the internet (might be too late for some of us).

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There is nothing wrong with having a wish list. I just don?t agree with mocking the death of aviators involved in a mishap. It could have been you or anyone else you know who wears a flight suit. I also would rather not give the impression that professional Naval Officers like to gloat over the accidental death of members of the armed services of another nation.

Just because another nations might make a public display of our blunders, does not mean that we must do the same. We have the most professional and competent military in the history of the planet. We don?t need to act like retards on the internet (might be too late for some of us).
I don't think anyone wants to gloat over the death of anyone else on a personal level. But as others have said, the individuals who wear that uniform have chosen to support a government which has a well-documented history of oppressing its own people, supporting terrorists, and sending troops into combat against our own in Iraq. I doubt the Qods Force commandos we captured there awhile back were on a religious pilgrimage.

In my mind, the Iranian military is no different than the North Korean military in a moral sense. They have both chosen to support a morally bankrupt regime. I don't rejoice over anyone getting killed, but I won't deny feeling some satisfaction if/when Fate chooses to take either down a peg or two. The Iranians who took up arms, rocks, and signs after the elections are my friends. The military, not so much until proven otherwise.

At the Whidbey O-Club, there's a framed picture of INS Sahand in flames after getting shacked by Whidbey A-6s during Operation Praying Mantis. I don't consider its presence unprofessional.

Edit: That said, I withdrew my last sentence upon reconsideration of what I was trying to say.

Edit the edit: Reports are now saying it was an inflight fire which took out the IL-76.

ACowboyinTexas

Armed and Dangerous
pilot
Contributor
Ha! Pap called ya'll 'tards. Ya'll gonna put up with that? I wish I had an opinion, but I think I'll just hang back and watch... Too many smart young folks have already schooled me on this forum.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
So how is this different from the respect sailors accord their partners in other services when there's a mishap at sea (i.e. our burial of the crew of K-129 with honors and the playing of the Soviet anthem)? Is it an assumption that pilots and aircrew are volunteers where sailors aren't?

Pap

Naval Aviator
pilot
At the Whidbey O-Club, there's a framed picture of INS Sahand in flames after getting shacked by Whidbey A-6s during Operation Praying Mantis. I don't consider its presence unprofessional.

Its presence is not unprofessional. That ship was attacked during a military operation ordered by the CinC in retaliation to hostile acts conducted by the Iranian Navy. I have nothing against talking/bragging about losses of the enemy attributed to combat operations. Hell, I would love to paint some F-14 outlines on the side of my jet and then never again have to buy a drink at the O-Club.

I just don’t think that Naval Aviators should to be ridiculing the loss of life in an aircraft mishap. This is the internet not the Ready Room, people do form misconceptions.

With that said, I'm not going to be getting in some asinine political conversation on the internet. I don’t like the political leadership of Iran either.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So how is this different from the respect sailors accord their partners in other services when there's a mishap at sea (i.e. our burial of the crew of K-129 with honors and the playing of the Soviet anthem)? Is it an assumption that pilots and aircrew are volunteers where sailors aren't?
I think a difference needs to be drawn between the institution and the individuals in it. Not everyone that served in the Wehrmacht was a monster, either. But it as an institution did some monstrous things in support of an oppressive government, and its demise is something to be thankful for.

I wasn't trying to gloat over the fates of the aircrew by posting this; if that's what came across, I put my foot in it and apologize. That said, if the balloon ever went up, that's a piece of gear which could have helped end the lives of many people wearing silver or gold wings. Can't say I'm not glad to see it gone.

FlyingOnFumes

Nobel WAR Prize Aspirant
I think a difference needs to be drawn between the institution and the individuals in it. Not everyone that served in the Wehrmacht was a monster, either. But it as an institution did some monstrous things in support of an oppressive government, and its demise is something to be thankful for.

I wasn't trying to gloat over the fates of the aircrew by posting this; if that's what came across, I put my foot in it and apologize. That said, if the balloon ever went up, that's a piece of gear which could have helped end the lives of many people wearing silver or gold wings. Can't say I'm not glad to see it gone.

BINGO! Couldn't have said it better myself...

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
Maybe Catmando can chime in on this.....
(Or OUSooner...our resident Persian in API)
My understanding of the IRIAF F-14 transfer comes from family members who were involved in ferrying them to Esfahan. The Iranians who were trained up by the VF-101 cadre were not radicals that detested all things Western. In fact, they loved big titted blonds and whiskey and were pretty decent pilots. After the overthrow of the Shah's regime, they were summarily threatened,( some were killed), to either declare loyalty to Khomeini and the Revolution or die.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
Not everyone over there flies in support of their government. Just like we take an oath to protect our country..you can love your country but not love those who govern it. Not all German Luftwaffe were Nazis..in fact, many detested Hitler...Adolf Galland himself despised Hitler if I am not mistaken.

The economy is shit and that is a great way to support your family and being an aviator and officer brings great prestige and security to your family...not saying many aren't radicals and what not, but you have to agree they may just have a love of aviation like we did and want to protect the country they love as well.

Also, the "aircrew" , at least the enlisted side, don't have a choice...all Iranians have to serve at least two years of service at the age of 17(or 18..not sure), some of those guys could care less but it is against the law to not serve.

Just some things to think about. Their government is shit but RIP to the aircrew and fellow aviators. (I have a PPL so I call myself an aviator :) )

EDIT: Before I get keelhauled. If shit hits the fan...I have no problem sending them to cash in on their 72 virgins, but any unfortunate mishap...funny or not, I still feel bad for the aircrew who perished.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
No.

There is nothing wrong with having a wish list. I just don’t agree with mocking the death of aviators involved in a mishap. It could have been you or anyone else you know who wears a flight suit. I also would rather not give the impression that professional Naval Officers like to gloat over the accidental death of members of the armed services of another nation.

Just because another nations might make a public display of our blunders, does not mean that we must do the same. We have the most professional and competent military in the history of the planet. We don’t need to act like retards on the internet (might be too late for some of us).

No, it couldn't have been me (or you), as we're not Iranian - an important distinction. At any rate, what verbiage did I use to indicate mockery or gloating? I'm simply glad they're dead and that their toys are smashed.

Brett

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
:icon_mi_6 7 Iranian AF jocks dead and two birds down ... that's 7 Iranian AF jocks and two birds we won't have to deal with at a later date.

I'd say that's a pretty good day for the good guys ... that would be us, in case you're wondering ...

exhelodrvr

pilot
:icon_mi_6 7 Iranian AF jocks dead and two birds down ... that's 7 Iranian AF jocks and two birds we won't have to deal with at a later date.

I'd say that's a pretty good day for the good guys ... that would be us, in case you're wondering ...

Yes, and if the rest of them went up in an explosion tonight I would be very happy.

On a related note, from their perspective, this is not a good time for them to lose an AWACs.

m26

Contributor
The last time an Iranian pilot crashed, and this same conversation happened, I thought it was decided that you'd want the Darwin award winners still in the ranks for any future conflicts?

Although in this instance it's hard not to see the loss of their only AWACS as a good thing.