• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Iran parade flyover does not go as planned

Oilcover

Costumed aggressor
pilot
The Iranian bird crashed on the 14th anniversary of Yukla 27, an Air Force AWACS out of Elmendorf. That's a strange coincidence.

I've got sympathy for the aircrew lost in the incident. After things calmed down, I'd even have sympathy for those who lost their lives fighting directly against me. But, if I'm doing ACM in the mighty mighty War COD, we're boned.

Edit: And that sympathy would in no way keep me from pulling the trigger. Acknowledging that it is unfortunate does not get in the way of the necessity of the action.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I trained a 'bunch' of Iranian pilots for Iran Air for their 72's and the Iranian-WHALEback in the 'good ol' days' of the Shah ... (2 of which I later flew after they were 'repatriated' :)) ...

While they were 'good guys' in general ... getting their families OUT of Iran and up to Europe was their first priority, decidedly NOT flying ... and, of course ... there were no Iranian words for:

'Take a bath ...'

'Take a shower ...'

'Use deodorant ... '

'You stink ... '

'So do your procedures ...'

They DID, however, unnerstan':

'YOU ... YOU ... AND YOU ... GET THE FUCK OUT OF THE SIMULATOR ... I NEED TO TALK TO YOU ... FOLLOW ME'!!!

I/we kicked 'em out of the sim UNTIL they got 'hygiene-religion' ... non-Islamic-style ... :)

We bounced 'em @ OKC in the daytime and gave 'em instrument approaches @ ACT/Waco Regional at night ... and they were AMAZED that I could keep the 'bird on centerline/on glideslope on my demo ... they thought actually flyin' the profile was a myth. :)

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Also, the "aircrew" , at least the enlisted side, don't have a choice...all Iranians have to serve at least two years of service at the age of 17(or 18..not sure), some of those guys could care less but it is against the law to not serve.

I am pretty certain all Iranian aircrew are officers. Some of the P-3 guys who trained them said every single one was an O, no E's, FE's and sensor operators included.

KCOTT

remember to pillage before you burn
pilot
Alright, pretend its many years ago pre-US entrance into WWII and it was a bunch of German Nazis flying around and they collided, to those who offer their sympathy would you still feel the same? I'm sure they may be great dudes and all, but they made a choice to who they would be identified with when they put on that uniform. So they were aviators, big deal, I put our country first before the profession. So to echo A4's post here, sounds like a productive day where we didn't have to do anything.

Mos

None
Whatever else these Iranians were, they were aviators. I can respect that, even if their own human error got them killed. Nonetheless, I agree that this is one less adversarial radar to worry about.

Shpion1

Contributor
Shitty day for maintenance

unconfirmed rpts indicate that the plane had engine fire, in extremis and it came in short and hard, dome detached and took out the tail, and a fireball ensued. F-5 also had engine issues and also performed the lawn dart maneuver. At the same time, Mig 29 had an engine fire. Sooooo, either their maintainers are really slacking or somebody threw a whole bunch of pebbles in the air. Either way, good adjustment to their OOB.

The AWAC was pretty important to them. several reasons. It's been told that they have some gaps in their EW coverage. WHile they've used other stopgap measures, this AWACS with newly installed radar by their Soviet, I mean Russian friends was a good gapfiller. So pretty major loss. MiG 29 will also be OOC for a while. Russians don't give out replacement engines for stock. You've pretty much have to send it back for repairs.

As a by the way, Russian MiG enterprise was sold for the grand total of 1 Ruble and 5 kopeks. really saddled with debt

???? ?? ?????? ????????? ??????? http://www.courier.co.il/?id=34303

It was sold to UAC, United Aircraft Corporation, an entity started by Putin in 06 that has been accumulating/consolidating the Russian Aviation manufacturers since inception. Plenty to read into this, but maybe another time.

Clux4

Banned
I would not leave the military today even if the American president was corrupt and a liar (despite what Joe Wilson may think). I would not because this is my profession and this how I earn a living. I also would not leave because I am serving the people and not soo much the bad leader. The bad leader is just using his position to misuse the military. Maybe this is just the case with the Iranian military. It would be pretty hard to leave a good paying job in a bad economy in the hopes that some magical job will appear. Probably easier to switch jobs in America than other parts of the war.

And No, I do not think it is cool to gloat the dead guys. I have done a few mil-to-mil exercises and what I have come to realize is that the other guy often than not, is in the military for the same reasons as myself and care very little about the politics between the two countries. They all want to drink, chase tail and have a good time!

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
The vas majority of Iranians are extremely pro-American for their region. They fed us major intelligence at the start of Enduring Freedom, largely due to the fact that they had been trying to thwart Taliban influence in their region for years. Bush sort of killed that with the "Axis of Evil" announcement, but it still stands that the enemy of my enemy is my friend.

There is inherent flaw in speculation, however I would wager all of that socalled pro-American sentiment would evaporate quite quickly if Iran liberalized somewhat.

Yes you have student rebellions / protest, and some backlash against a very conservative government. And yes I am sure you have people who would love to be best friends with America.

That being said you are still talking about a region which has a strong history of being hostile to the west. And I don't mean to say exclusively the United States. While I think it perfectly possible that the West and the 'near East' could live in harmony, I doubt it would happen any time soon even with a overthrow of the Iranian government.

Pakistan is a good example of an ally that's not so friendly.

I would bet all of those 'pro-Americans' are really just pro-Liberalism in the slightest bit. I would bet that those 20-somethings in the universities want to be able to think an write without fear of repercussion. Some might be legitimately adoring of the USA but most I would wager are not.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I'll bet the Israelis aren't crying over this spilled milk.

Well since their kangaroo leader has declared that he does not recognize Israel as a sovereign nation and Israel and all Jews needs to be wiped off the face of the earth..... I shed no tears.

He's the new Hitler. Believe it.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well since their kangaroo leader has declared that he does not recognize Israel as a sovereign nation and Israel and all Jews needs to be wiped off the face of the earth..... I shed no tears.

He's the new Hitler. Believe it.

So does every other Middle East leader who has been saying that since 1948 also get to wear the "New Hitler" name tag? Equating Ahmadinejad with Hitler diminishes the true evil that Hitler represents. Ahmadinejad is a powerless buffoon and laughing stock. This is akin to the boy who cried wolf - the Jew who cried Hitler - has a nice ring to it, eh? :D

BTW, happy Yom Kippur. I await your appology. :D

Brett

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
So does every other Middle East leader who has been saying that since 1948 also get to wear the "New Hitler" name tag? Equating Ahmadinejad with Hitler diminishes the true evil that Hitler represents. Ahmadinejad is a powerless buffoon and laughing stock. This is akin to the boy who cried wolf - the Jew who cried Hitler - has a nice ring to it, eh? :D

BTW, happy Yom Kippur. I await your appology. :D

Brett

Time will tell with Iran. And hopefully I'm being dramatic and you're correct.

It's ok. I'm going to hell anyway (if only we believed in it).... I let slip to my grandmother on the phone (who is orthodox and very observant) that I had a flight today when I spoke to her over the weekend....my parents facepalmed about the time I realized what I'd done.

So ya, I drove to work, flew a 60, and had subway for lunch and now posting on AW. Good Jew, I am not.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
Time will tell with Iran. And hopefully I'm being dramatic and you're correct.

It's ok. I'm going to hell anyway (if only we believed in it).... I let slip to my grandmother on the phone (who is orthodox and very observant) that I had a flight today when I spoke to her over the weekend....my parents facepalmed about the time I realized what I'd done.

So ya, I drove to work, flew a 60, and had subway for lunch and now posting on AW. Good Jew, I am not.

And Im sure it had pork on it...