• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Iranian UAV orbits CVN-76 for 25 minutes

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
BigRed389 said:
I think Brett's point is they're called CSFs now.
In my best immitation of Brett, WTF is a CSF?

But seriously, I've never heard "CSF" thrown around... Just CSG and ESG, depending on the make up of the strike group....

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
VFA-203 Forever said:
...termology...

So much bad gouge...it must be all the "Termology" and knowledges we don't know.

T

TXHusker05

Is termology like strategery?

Well I reckon we get dat der termology straight.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Brett327 said:
Ahh, so much to learn, young one. BTW, WTF is a CVBG?

Brett
My sentiments exactly. BTW, Brett is being a bit sarcastic about asking what a CVBG is. He knows full well what it stands for and what is WAS. We don't call CVBG's by that name any more. Now they are called CSG's (Carrier Strike Groups). If a big deck amphib was in the place of the carrier, the group would be called an ESG (Expeditionary Strike Group).

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
TheBubba said:
One of the many now-useless tidbits of info I picked up in my "how to be a SWO" class way back when I tought I was gonna be one of Steve's people.
Not everyone can be a rock star.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
TXHusker05 said:
I know the classic spin work most of the Middle East puts on news Flash, I was talking purely tactical. What tactical accomplishment does a dent in a carrier give them? Sure it gives them something to parade around the streets and burn American flags to, but do they really need encouragement. It will be a great accomplishment for them, right up to the point where we retaliate with a coordinated air strike or cruise missiles. That will put an end to their alalalalalalalalala bakalakadaka muhammed jihad quick, fast and in a hurry.

What war is ever purely tactical, especially one we have fought in the past 50years? What did Clauswitz say "War is an extension of politics..." or something along those lines. We cleaned the clocks of the NVA and the VC in every major battle for 8 years and yet Saigon is now Ho Chi Minh city and the only place you see RVN flags is in the US. If you think "a coordinated air strike or cruise missiles" is going to take care of a country of 70 million people with a leadership that is fanatical in their beliefs then you have less knowledges than I thought........:confused:

T

TXHusker05

Flash said:
What war is ever purely tactical, especially one we have fought in the past 50years? What did Clauswitz say "War is an extension of politics..." or something along those lines. We cleaned the clocks of the NVA and the VC in every major battle for 8 years and yet Saigon is now Ho Chi Minh city and the only place you see RVN flags is in the US. If you think "a coordinated air strike or cruise missiles" is going to take care of a country of 70 million people with a leadership that is fanatical in their beliefs then you have less knowledges than I thought........:confused:

Yes war is a continuation of politics by other means, I've read the book. I am not talking about an all out war vs. Iran, because that would be a tough war indeed. Just a few warning shots to make sure no one screws with us. Heck, a CIWS shattering a UAV would do the trick too... just a little something to put a shadow of a doubt in their minds. A cruise missile strike on a facility that makes a component of a nuclear facility or weapons. Knock a few buildings down, insert a few SF teams and see what we can find out.

Yes, winning over the Iranian public will be hard. It is 89% Shi'a Muslim and that particular group of Muslims isn't exactly on our side with the war in Iraq. But Iran is only around 50-51% Persian with a very large mix of ethnicities including Kurds so it wouldn't quite be a lost cause to ruffle some feathers. The problem with a theocratic government though is that you can't go in and change it to something else or it will be a mess. However, I believe they would listen. The problem with Iraq is that the Iraqi population is 40% literate, they just don't understand what is happening and aren't smart enough to figure out the difference. 80% of Iranians are literate including 73% of women which is a record by far in the region where women are generally not permitted to be educated. If you explain it to them, they could understand. I'll admit the Iran situation is delicate but we need to be aggressive with it because Iran is one of those countries that may grow some balls one day and try something. A friendly little peace deal would work too, you don't screw with us... we won't screw with you.

*** I also wouldn't say we cleaned the clocks of the NVA and VC in Vietnam, we won pretty much every battle but it wasn't a blowout. 58,000 dead is not cleaning anyones clock, if it is... you might what to look at your definition of acceptable losses.

T

TXHusker05

Yea me too, although I wouldn't mind an amateur night at the White House. If any of you great aviators go on to become President, you should make a list on the White House website allowing each resident to suggest one Presidential decision. You can pick the best ones.

T

TXHusker05

If you didn't recognize the sarcasm in that, then you really need to go take a walk around the block and get your sense of humor back. Anyone who watches the news for two seconds would not trust the better part of half of the American public for any policy.

I guess I am just in such a sarcastic mood because I witnessed the dumbest thing ever today...

Two cars were driving on a one way street in the left lane and the 2nd from the left lane on a four lane street. They both approached an intersection with a street one way to the RIGHT. Both of these cars turned left onto a one way street going right with only one lane available. See crude paint drawing for reference. I nearly got hit by both idiots turning. But it was funny as hell and it was right in front of the police HQ so a dozen cops sat there watching and wondering WTF?

CRUDE DRAWING: http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y160/mdb_huskers/accident.jpg