• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NEWS Is the pivot to China a bunch of bullshit?

Hair Warrior

Contributor
It prevents NASA, or any company that works with NASA, from cooperating with China in any space venture.

I know the MO for China is to steal tech, and we'd have to keep a close eye on them.

We saw a lot of success in relationship building with the Russians in space with Apollo-Soyuz, Skylab, and the ISS. I think we should open a similar avenue of cooperation between NASA and the CNSA. We can set conditions for their participation in said venture- like obeying UNCLOS- or they get kicked out. They have some pretty interesting capabilities and keeping our friends close but our enemies closer, especially when it comes to the (re)emerging potential conflict region of space, is going to be important.
I looked up the amendment. It doesn’t prevent space cooperation with China - you just need FBI and Congress to approve it first. Yes, I’m aware that in all practical purposes, getting Congress to do anything is an uphill battle, but if the need is compelling then it’s possible. Both chambers have unanimous consent as parliamentary tools.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
I looked up the amendment. It doesn’t prevent space cooperation with China - you just need FBI and Congress to approve it first. Yes, I’m aware that in all practical purposes, getting Congress to do anything is an uphill battle, but if the need is compelling then it’s possible. Both chambers have unanimous consent as parliamentary tools.

It's too restrictive and requires by line specific approval to even the simplest of tasks, like share academic papers for peer review, or attend conferences.

The consequences now include China not sharing their latest moon rock samples with us- even though we did get approval to use some comms satellites to help them.

I'm pretty firm in the belief that the amendment does more hurt then good.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
It's too restrictive and requires by line specific approval to even the simplest of tasks, like share academic papers for peer review, or attend conferences.

The consequences now include China not sharing their latest moon rock samples with us- even though we did get approval to use some comms satellites to help them.

I'm pretty firm in the belief that the amendment does more hurt then good.
Congress seems to have a good reason for adopting the amendment in the first place and renewing it each year.