• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

It's a NMCI world

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I can’t wait until the contract is up.

Is there something beyond NMCI on the horizon? Surely (I hope to God) that some responsible person in the leadership has taken note of the mess that is NMCI and has started the ball rolling to fix things.

Brett

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Is there something beyond NMCI on the horizon? Surely (I hope to God) that some responsible person in the leadership has taken note of the mess that is NMCI and has started the ball rolling to fix things.

Brett

I don't know. But my guess is no in the near future. I think the system has some real potential, but just some poor forethought and a painful contract.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Why am I so happy not to have to deal with NMCI after reading this thread......;)

pilot_man

Ex-Rhino driver
pilot

Brett

The current contract won’t be up for a while. The system could be very useful, if the end users had more of a say in things. I know that the squadrons NMCI rep at the wing hears the complaints often.

2sr2worry

Naval Aviation=world's greatest team sport
For release: 24 Mar 2006

EDS Signs NMCI Contract Extension To 2010
Solidifies EDS' Relationship with the Department of the Navy
Navy Marine Corps Intranet is world's largest, most secure private network
PLANO, Texas and HERNDON, Va – EDS today announced that the U.S. Department of the Navy has agreed to exercise its option to extend the Navy Marine Corps Intranet (NMCI) contract through September 2010.

This three-year extension will add more than $3 billion to the program's overall total contract value. The Navy Marine Corps Intranet is the single largest government contract in the history of EDS.

efilemyr

SNA
Contributor
Lastly, it would take a supercomputer to crack the old password requirement of NMCI several weeks to break the password (upper case plus number plus special char). Now our PINs are just a couple of numbers, which would take even a NMCI machine a couple of minutes to break. Is this a practical concern? No, but something I find amusing, especially when we're supposed to surrender our CAC to the bad guys if captured.

The CAC card itself authenticates the PIN. If you screw it up three times in a row the card locks you out. The only thing that you can do to fix it is take it to a PSD to have it reset. I have seen it happen to someone who forgot and was trying to guess his own PIN. With only 3 guesses and 1,000,000 possible PINs (six digits), the chances are very small.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
The CAC card itself authenticates the PIN. If you screw it up three times in a row the card locks you out. The only thing that you can do to fix it is take it to a PSD to have it reset. I have seen it happen to someone who forgot and was trying to guess his own PIN. With only 3 guesses and 1,000,000 possible PINs (six digits), the chances are very small.

I'm not really going to get into it for reasons that Skid mentioned, but I think you missed the point of surrendering your CAC and what happens to you after you've surrendered said CAC.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Yeeeaaahhhhh, riiiggghhhttt......do you honestly think that some Chinese/Terrorist/Russian computer geek is not goign to be able to figure a way around or through the system? Seriously.......MOVE!

Nick_Burns.jpg

Oh by the way, YOU'RE WELCOME!

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
it takes my NMCI laptop 8-10 minutes to be useable after i log in. if i get impatient and try to launch IE or Outlook before the HD light goes out, add another 4-6 minutes for the NMCI laptop to be useable ... if it doesn't crash first. a re-boot of my NMCI laptop, from windows destop and back takes 18-20 minutes (i've timed it). NMCI says they can do nothing to help.

my NMCI laptop's battery is dead. i must have an outlet to use my laptop. NMCI says they can do nothing about it, they don't have any spare batteries.

NMCI does not let me change my power settings on my NMCI laptop. So anytime i go over 5 minutes without using my NMCI laptop, it goes to sleep. i then have to log back in, which takes 8-10 minutes ...

i hate NMCI.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
it takes my NMCI laptop 8-10 minutes to be useable after i log in. if i get impatient and try to launch IE or Outlook before the HD light goes out, add another 4-6 minutes for the NMCI laptop to be useable ... if it doesn't crash first. a re-boot of my NMCI laptop, from windows destop and back takes 18-20 minutes (i've timed it). NMCI says they can do nothing to help.

my NMCI laptop's battery is dead. i must have an outlet to use my laptop. NMCI says they can do nothing about it, they don't have any spare batteries.

NMCI does not let me change my power settings on my NMCI laptop. So anytime i go over 5 minutes without using my NMCI laptop, it goes to sleep. i then have to log back in, which takes 8-10 minutes ...

i hate NMCI.

That's just funny.

I mean, I'm sorry. I started a log in Excel for wait times when using the computer back when a 5 minute boot time was "fast" (it's better now...but not much) The problem is that it takes time just to open the document to log the wait time. It's like an M.C. Escher painting.

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
Pilot_man hit on most of it. Oh yeah, and our entire command (250+ people) has a total of 25 GB alloted to us on the LAN. Yeah, less than a third of my personal Dell's C: drive. Go over, and NMCI goes into crisis-lockdown state.

Ask for more, they say that's what the contract paid for. Ask for a bigger server, you hear that they're out of $$$ until next year.

And whoever asked if NMCI is tying your laptops to your desk-- they'll be going in that direction soon enough. One laptop tied to one drop, have to submit a request if you wanna move it, otherwise it won't work.

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
I'm no NMCI fan; in fact, I have a 3+ year running tale of woe with my personal account. But I did see a good example last week of what the whole intent of the NMCI effort is about. We went on a BFMC det to Key West (who says the Reserves don't live large?), and after arriving in our assigned Ready Room spaces our Ops guys were able to plug into a drop in the wall, and in 5 minutes had their computers up and running, sending email, accessing the Internet, and able to send to local printers. I think that's the "vision", and it was nice to see it actually work. God knows there's all kinds of things wrong with EDS's implementation, but there does seem to be a glimmer of hope.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm no NMCI fan; in fact, I have a 3+ year running tale of woe with my personal account. But I did see a good example last week of what the whole intent of the NMCI effort is about. We went on a BFMC det to Key West (who says the Reserves don't live large?), and after arriving in our assigned Ready Room spaces our Ops guys were able to plug into a drop in the wall, and in 5 minutes had their computers up and running, sending email, accessing the Internet, and able to send to local printers. I think that's the "vision", and it was nice to see it actually work. God knows there's all kinds of things wrong with EDS's implementation, but there does seem to be a glimmer of hope.
Yeah, it's funny, as an information tech major in college, I could see a lot of my college profs/TAs going absolutely ga-ga over a system like NMCI . . . in theory. Now, I get to see just how large the gap between theory and practice can be.