• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

LABS IP or LABS TGT: Nuclear combat, toe-to-toe with the Rooskies ...

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
That's awesome!!

Now, mebbe this should go in the stupid questions thread, but I once had a Captain H-60 bubba tell me that he worked on a project where they used (what sounded like) a similar maneuver to lob a nuclear weapon from a helicopter. Fact or fiction??

It might have been a nuclear depth charge. I believe the -60B has/had the plumbing for it at one point but I'm pretty sure nothing was ever strapped to the side of one. Maybe someone else has more complete knowledge.

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
It dosen't make any sense that LAMPs would have carried any special ordnance.... once the dipping pony got a good datum, then Mom could light up the bad guy with a nuke asroc..right??

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
It dosen't make any sense that LAMPs would have carried any special ordnance.... once the dipping pony got a good datum, then Mom could light up the bad guy with a nuke asroc..right??

You're thinking too small. It was 1982. I mean we all knew the Russians were going to overwhelm us at any second. We HAD to be ready!

Seriously, I don't remember the details, but I know I've seen something on it at some point. It was on the books I just don't think it was ever fully brought to fruition. Besides, when has LAMPS actually used anything that was mounted on a rail?

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
Yeah, that could be it. He the skipper of HS-3 just before I knew him, so it was probably an anti-sub munition. I just remember him describing a swift pull up designed to loft and lob said ordnance, then they were supposed to close all the windows and run like h3ll!

Sounded about as good an idea to me as nuclear hand grenades, but maybe the 60 is fast enough to make it out. . .

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I'm reminded of the time I audited my old MEU CO's NATOPS jacket and saw the "Nuclear Weapons Delivery Course" sign off in there and thought,"WTF?" He was a 46 to A4 back to 46 transition.

My first 46 NATOPS had 1 paragraph on "nuclear weapons delivery" in it. My first thought was "What kind of suicidal psychopath would use a CH-46 to deliver a nuclear weapon?" You might as well just use the 46 as a very slow manned cruise missile. Then I realized, deliver a nuclear weapon, as in transport a nuclear weapon, not employing it. "Oh..." Unfortunately that got taken out in a NATOPS change. I wish I'd kept the page.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
NUKEs & HELO's ... ??? I guess none of you HELO-drivers know what a DASH is ... ???

QH-50 DASH (Drone Anti-Submarine Helicopter) ... ?? A major part of the Navy's FRAM program of the '50's ... ??? :)

The original DASH concept was a light drone helicopter that could release a nuclear depth charge or torpedoes. The aircraft was considered expendable (obviously).

QH-50 DASH

dashwl3.jpg

HeloBubba

SH-2F AW
Contributor
NUKEs & HELO's ... ??? I guess none of you HELO-drivers know what a DASH is ... ???

QH-50 DASH (Drone Anti-Submarine Helicopter) ... ?? A major part of the Navy's FRAM program of the '50's ... ??? :)

The original DASH concept was a light drone helicopter that could release a nuclear depth charge or torpedoes. The aircraft was considered expendable (obviously).

QH-50 DASH

I want to say that the Mighty H-2 SeaSprite had its roots in the DASH program. But I am currently unable to dig up any proof.

Oh-58Ddriver

Scouts Out!
None
Contributor
WOW! First time I have seen the LABs diagram - that is insane. Can you imagine being the first four-eyed pocket protector-wearing engineer to come up with that one, then explain it to the pilots? "ok see what you need to do, is flip backward so you are nose up at 42.375 degrees at 174.576 knots, at that exact moment...."

Amazing...

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
This program is why the A-4 had stilts for landing gear, correct? (so the bomb could fit between the "legs" and not scrape on the ground)

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
The H-3s had a nuclear depth bomb, same one as the P-3s and S-3s.

I was Nuc Weps on the TR. That's how I got my flight time with the S-3 and A-6 squadrons. "You want to load when? 0300? Well if you could get me the right seat for the KA-6D 0800 launch I could probably set you up for an 1000 load....."

It also got me an good "in" with the H-3 squadron. So I got to play M-60 door gunner for oil platform takedowns during Desert Storm.

B

Blutonski816

This program is why the A-4 had stilts for landing gear, correct? (so the bomb could fit between the "legs" and not scrape on the ground)

Well, with that low-set wing, nuke or not, the space for a hefty bombload (plus tanks) and some bringback capability sorta would call for some long gear struts.

Pugs

Back from the range
None

My property manager at NUW was a retired shoe Capt who deployed with these things.

He said was very important to test them as early as possible in the cruise as most often they just headed over the horizon to never be seen again, which was just fine with him. Otherwise they often went dumb at inopportune times and crash way too close to the ship.