• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Landing Helos

SemperApollo

Those guys on the "fishing" boat probably crapped themselves when they realized a SH-60 had been stalking them.

At that high of a descent rate and forward speed, are you diving in like an airplane would, or do you have the nose up?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Those guys on the "fishing" boat probably crapped themselves when they realized a SH-60 had been stalking them.

At that high of a descent rate and forward speed, are you diving in like an airplane would, or do you have the nose up?

Ohh, the fearsome Seahawk!
11.jpg

:D
Brett

hscs

pilot
Like hell you would put in a 2500 fpm rate of descent in my helo on a takedown. That is an invitation to disaster.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
And yet, it's done. 2000 FPM? What's your limit? Mind you we're not talking an HVBSS delivery vehicle here. Perhaps something has been lost in the vagueness (which has been intentional).

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
And yet, it's done. 2000 FPM? What's your limit? Mind you we're not talking an HVBSS delivery vehicle here. Perhaps something has been lost in the vagueness (which has been intentional).

Maybe Dev is just a better pilot, or maybe there's a negative correlation between piloting skills and whining about IAs. ;)

Brett

SemperApollo

Laugh all you want, but I looked on youtube for a helo takedown demo and ended up with Airwolf clips. From the mental picture of how you described it though, it sounds f'n awesome.

hscs

pilot
My limit -- depends on how high I am, but then again -- over 500' and I get nosebleeds.

I am still with Stearmann --like to know what drives the need to fly that way.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
Most of the ship take downs I've been involved with started with the helos transiting over water at 100-120 knts and about 20-40 feet.
Pop up at the last second and deploy the ropes. I know the C2 bird will generally start out high, but the troopships have usually come in very low.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ok,
These ops are still going on often if not daily. We cannot however publish our playbook on an open forum, that puts people at risk unneccesarily.

Please watch what you discus as far as profiles and procedures, Mohammed is probably listening.

SemperApollo

Sorry didn't mean to go too far into tactics. I think this next one is okay to ask: When a ship is pitching in heavy seas, how do you time your landing so you don't slam onto the deck?

Sly1978

Living the Dream
pilot
Question, possibly a stupid one and I don't want to hijack the thread, but how do you even get 2500 FPM? That's about what we pull in an auto. Does the extra weight of the Bravo make that much of a difference?