• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Landing Helos

MasterBates

Ours go to 6K

Remember, and Auto is not neccisarily the fastest way to lose altitude with power on. It is the slowest way to fall when you don't have power (engine failure) or can't use the power without consequences (tail drive failure, or Vortex Ring State).

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
Sorry didn't mean to go too far into tactics. I think this next one is okay to ask: When a ship is pitching in heavy seas, how do you time your landing so you don't slam onto the deck?

If its pictching in heavy seas I'm under the impression that the RAST is used to help. Granted I've only landed 16 times or so on a ship, so I could be talking out of my a$$.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
If its pictching in heavy seas I'm under the impression that the RAST is used to help. Granted I've only landed 16 times or so on a ship, so I could be talking out of my a$$.

If you have RAST, that is.

Gators don't roll as much as small-boys, I'll concede, but two things to keep in mind. Use the horizon--don't try to follow the movement of the ship. You'll always lag it, and get smacked when you get out of phase. Also, don't jack around at 2-3' off the deck. Once you decide to land, land.

MasterBates

Problem with small boys, is that you are in so tight to the superstructure, that you often have no horizon.

HARS bar is OK, when it works, but it lags a tad as well.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Sorry didn't mean to go too far into tactics. I think this next one is okay to ask: When a ship is pitching in heavy seas, how do you time your landing so you don't slam onto the deck?

We're not supposed to slam into the deck? Honestly, that's the answer to your question. For a FFG, the roll limit is 15 degrees. I've only been flying once when that was exceeded (nasty SAR situation) and even then, it wasn't consistent. The HAC (I was a 2P at the time) determined it was safer to make a free deck landing rather than screw around w/ dudes on the deck and a cable that might not work. He had the skill to pull it off. We hit the deck firmly (but not exceeding any limit) and wouldn't you know, he was dead center in the trap. I'm pretty sure I've told the story here before, but just saying it again to help answer your question.

Does the extra weight of the Bravo make that much of a difference?

Aerodynamics, my friend. Heavier=falling slower, not faster.

SemperApollo

And I'm guessing if the ship was rolling that much, the wind wasn't being much more cooperative. That is amazing.

As for the cable, are they trying to winch you in, or is it just to give the pilot something to "feel" (like a physical ILS) in the last stages of landing?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I figured you'd counter w/ a parted cable. Indeed. As an LSO, I've had a similar thing happen w/ a cable wrapped up on the RSD in some "lovely" wintertime Pacific seas. Wheeee....pretty sparks!

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
As PJ O'Rourke once said of RAST, a helicopter is "reeled in like an enormous air bass."