• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Last flight

Clux4

Banned
Thought it might be interesting to hear from retired military pilots on how they felt walking away from the aircraft after their last flight.
Looking back, what was it like knowing this was your last flight?

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I think this is a very good question. I've got a few years left so no answer from me.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thought it might be interesting to hear from retired military pilots on how they felt walking away from the aircraft after their last flight.
Looking back, what was it like knowing this was your last flight?

Wet...very wet.

FlyinRock

How about a slightly different perspective. The pilot who knows this is going to be his last flight vs the pilot who doesn't know this is going to be his final flight.
As regards retiring from the military and the job. Each person will have different feelings regardless of what their job was. I tried to "get out of the cockpit" several times and here I am still at it many years later.
S/F

MasterBates

As someone who had what almost was their last flight, without knowing it, It would have been kind of a letdown. Because my last pass on the that day was AFUAW.

Thankfully the NOMI goons have been beaten back for now.

HeloBubba

SH-2F AW
Contributor
I was fortunate enough to know ahead of time when both my last flight in the Navy (active duty) and my last flight in the Army (reserves) were going to happen.

My last flight in the Navy while a bit of a let down at the time, was kind of paling in comparison to getting out (which was about 45 days away). Besides, it was a four-day X-Country to Reno. Good times were had by all.

My last flight in the Army Reserve was more of a real bummer since I pretty much knew that it would also be my last flight ever in the military. I was 10 years older and knew that I was losing something that I'd never get back. Not a day goes by that I don't miss it.

rare21

pilot
Contributor
I didnt know it would be my last flight but i got a beer with my buds right afterwords. Now on the other hand my last sim I did with my dad who came to visit me...i'm happy about that one.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have most likely had my last flight as a Naval Aviator, unless the Embassy thing pans out. The powers that be were cool enough to schedule me a Sunset Flight. Took a plane out for a quick FCF, followed by an hour of cloud surfing/ship rigging/testing the RADALT...

Did a nice low flyby, my buddy taped it for me. Nice to have.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I've had several, considering I've "done it" for a while ... a brief and incomplete chronology:

TRACOM STUD final/final: the Lexington final BINGO ... wa-a-a-a-ay too nervous to have ANY thoughts ... just tighten up and look "good" in the NQI break.
Lots of CONGRATS and back-slapping on the ramp. Big party the next night, got drunk. :) Bigger things comin' ... WE WERE GOIN' TO WAR !!! :eek:

P.I. final/final: bombed the shit out of Crow Valley, flew the all-time P.I. über low level through the rice paddies, raced up & down the west coast "rigging" banca boats @ 5'/500 KIAS, came back into the break @ 500+ KIAS, went up the hill to the Club and got drunk. :)

FLEET final/final: led a 450 KIAS fan break @ the ship ... got grounded ... it was worth it. Medicinal alcohol administered liberally in an Amigo's stateroom to soothe our hurt feelings ... :)

CONUS FLEET final/final: flew under "a bridge" ... didn't get grounded. :eek: Didn't get drunk ... too early in the day. Saved that for the squadron party 3 days hence ... :)

TRACOM Instructor final/final
: 500 KIAS break; called "final-final" abeam NIR 'cause I knew the tower controller ... uneventful otherwise. Plus, I was getting out to chase the airlines and didn't give a damn about having another great Navy Day ... went to the Club, my money was no good, got drunk. :)

First airline final/final: taxi'ed back into the DFW ramp in the rain to park amongst the other dying planes as the airline had declared bankruptcy the day before ... sad day, bad day. :( We said "fuck it" & went to our favorite cowboy bar -- early in the day -- in Grapevine in uniform & got drunk .

NAVAIRRES final/final: lots of yankin' and bankin' and chasing clouds around the Texas plain ... no F-4's to shoot down, already had done that, called final/final (mostly for myself) @ NBE ... went to the Club, got drunk on F-4 pilot money. :)

Last airline final/final: taxi'ed back into HNL in the morining sun after having a split flap emergency ... :eek: ... showed up a little "late" at the gate for the party as a result ... about 50 people there ... big party later ... got drunk. :)

I think I see a trend here ...

maitaigc2.jpg

Clux4

Banned
Obvious trend.........
Happy days, great memories !!
The best part is that they all happened in a life time :D

MasterBates

Last flight in a Navy HELO:
Dark ass night RLQs 50 miles off the coast of FL. 0% illumination and OVC015. Fvcking Dark. NVGs were useless. Landed at 0200, went home, thought I was flying the next night. Never flew a 60 after that. Basically got served with divorce papers amongst other thing, and picked up for the E2C2 transition before the CO would let me fly again. After I got picked up they would not "waste" flight time on me after that.

Of course, I ground-turned FCFs like it was going out of style after that.

Flugelman

Contributor
... went to our favorite cowboy bar -- early in the day -- in Grapevine in uniform & got drunk .

Wilhoite's maybe? I can't think of many more bars in Grapevine back then.

My last flight was a glider tow up at Crum in a 150/150. Didn't know it at the time... :(

DangerousDan

I could tell you but I would have to kill you
As someone who had what almost was their last flight, without knowing it, It would have been kind of a letdown.

I didn't know mine was going to be my last flight until after the flight when the LCDR told me in the debrief. Otherwise I would have said fuck it and took the camera up with me and got some pictures.

It happened on cinco de mayo... which is why that holiday is now on my banned list.

zipmartin

Never been better
pilot
Contributor
Very sad. Flew an NAS Dallas A-4M to the boneyard. Very sad to be ending my flying career and being a part of the start of the end of NAS Dallas and the A-4. But the memories are priceless.