• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Last flight

phrogpilot73

I thought I flew my last flight...

But didn't know it. 3 hours and a copilot, and I was told "have fun". I knew it was going to be my last flight in the squadron, later I was certain it was my last flight in the Phrog. Then I decided to go into the reserves. Hopefully, my last flight in the Phrog will be around '17.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I actually knew it was going to be my final active duty flight when I flew it, it was also the final flight for the 'Fenix', VAQ-128. It was a great flight, low-level over the Cascades with a 'bombing run' at the end. The only downer, it was with two USAF guys. ;)

Pugs

Back from the range
None
I knew it going in. My civilian career demands and getting senior in the Reserves spelled the end of my flying at year 18. Did an out-and-in to NPA, lunch at the Cubi bar and coming back jumped on a VR route that runs up the Eastern Shore for about four points. Flew 158029, a Prowler that rolled off the line in 1970 and was the first production EA-6B.

Finished out my Reserve career with a War College course and managed to have spent 18 of my 20 years in the cockpit.

Being in a RESFORON was a big demand and I'm sure it hasn't gotten easier for an NFO and resulted in a lot of months with one or two days off. Airline guys seem to have it a bit easier but it's still hard. I don't miss much of the Navy but I miss flying all the time.

zipmartin

Never been better
pilot
Contributor
I don't miss much of the Navy but I miss flying all the time.

Ran into an old squadronmate a while back at the hotel bar on an overnight. I thought he put it well when he said, "You know, I miss the Navy I joined, but I don't miss the Navy I left." Pretty well sums it up.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
.... I thought he put it well when he said, "You know, I miss the Navy I joined, but I don't miss the Navy I left." Pretty well sums it up.
Kinda like the old saying: I love the fuckin' Navy, and the Navy loves fuckin' me ... " :)

Bolter

pilot
I've had several, considering I've "done it" for a while ... a brief and incomplete chronology:

TRACOM STUD final/final: the Lexington final BINGO ... wa-a-a-a-ay too nervous to have ANY thoughts ... just tighten up and look "good" in the NQI break.
Lots of CONGRATS and back-slapping on the ramp. Big party the next night, got drunk. :) Bigger things comin' ... WE WERE GOIN' TO WAR !!! :eek:

P.I. final/final: bombed the shit out of Crow Valley, flew the all-time P.I. über low level through the rice paddies, raced up & down the west coast "rigging" banca boats @ 5'/500 KIAS, came back into the break @ 500+ KIAS, went up the hill to the Club and got drunk. :)

FLEET final/final: led a 450 KIAS fan break @ the ship ... got grounded ... it was worth it. Medicinal alcohol administered liberally in an Amigo's stateroom to soothe our hurt feelings ... :)

CONUS FLEET final/final: flew under "a bridge" ... didn't get grounded. :eek: Didn't get drunk ... too early in the day. Saved that for the squadron party 3 days hence ... :)

TRACOM Instructor final/final
: 500 KIAS break; called "final-final" abeam NIR 'cause I knew the tower controller ... uneventful otherwise. Plus, I was getting out to chase the airlines and didn't give a damn about having another great Navy Day ... went to the Club, my money was no good, got drunk. :)

First airline final/final: taxi'ed back into the DFW ramp in the rain to park amongst the other dying planes as the airline had declared bankruptcy the day before ... sad day, bad day. :( We said "fuck it" & went to our favorite cowboy bar -- early in the day -- in Grapevine in uniform & got drunk .

NAVAIRRES final/final: lots of yankin' and bankin' and chasing clouds around the Texas plain ... no F-4's to shoot down, already had done that, called final/final (mostly for myself) @ NBE ... went to the Club, got drunk on F-4 pilot money. :)

Last airline final/final: taxi'ed back into HNL in the morining sun after having a split flap emergency ... :eek: ... showed up a little "late" at the gate for the party as a result ... about 50 people there ... big party later ... got drunk. :)

I think I see a trend here ...

maitaigc2.jpg

How many fucking hours do you have?!?!?!

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Ran into an old squadronmate a while back at the hotel bar on an overnight. I thought he put it well when he said, "You know, I miss the Navy I joined, but I don't miss the Navy I left." Pretty well sums it up.

That's not just a Navy thing. My old man says the same thing about the Air Force.

You old geezers and your Glory Days make me jealous.:)

Bolter

pilot
wow, thats just about 23,650 more than me. with the rate we are tearing up these war birds, I don't think many people will be reaching the big 5K mark in our military careers. times are a' changin'.

Huggy Bear

pilot
I got a little Verkleppt on my last flight. I had my family out on the tarmac when I got back. I was glad my kids got to see me get out of a plane at least once in their life.

phrogpilot73

wow, thats just about 23,650 more than me. with the rate we are tearing up these war birds, I don't think many people will be reaching the big 5K mark in our military careers. times are a' changin'.
You should transition to helos. It can be done there.

MasterBates

Maybe. I think the highest time HSL pilot I saw on AD was a CO who went JO/RAG IP/WTI/DH(OIC)/Staff Pain/CO/RAG CO

And he was maybe 4k. I know a couple OICs who were 3K+ at the end of the their DH tours, but they did the JO/IP Somewhere/SWTI/OIC route.

I may break 1100 hours military before the end of the calendar year. That will make 7 years flying for uncle, and I have never been out of the cockpit.

phrogpilot73

Most HMM CO's I've met were at 4K, or very close. I flew with a Col who was VERY close to 5K, but his flying time was drawing to a close. Most leave a squadron with close to 1500 hours after their first tour.