• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Left Hand Advatage

HokiePilot

pilot
Contributor
The advantage some lefties have are much more in depth than that. The right side of the brain controls spatial awareness so if you're left handed and right brain dominate this can give you an advantage in 3-D tasks such as flying.

I don't buy it. do you have any sources to back up that assertion?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
The advantage some lefties have are much more in depth than that. The right side of the brain controls spatial awareness so if you're left handed and right brain dominate this can give you an advantage in 3-D tasks such as flying.

O.K., Ace ... riddle me this:

I'm right handed ... i.e., I am right eye dominant, I "write" right handed,
eat right handed, I shoot right handed, wipe my ass right handed .... but I play most "throwing" sports left handed ... and pool, tennis, racquetball, etc. and basically all the rest -- right handed.

So where's my "advantage" ??? :confused::)

:sleep_125:sleep_125:sleep_125:sleep_125:sleep_125:sleep_125:sleep_125:sleep_125:sleep_125:sleep_125:sleep_125

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Single Seat;503637 post #15 on this thread said:
I bought a queen size memory foam pad, cut it in two lengthwise (to double it up), and it was awesome. That is when my stateroom wasn't 2,000 degrees.

Very nice .... and it's obvious that you're multi-tasking, too.

Now .... what are you going to post on the "mattress" thread???

Something for a left-handed sleeper ... ??? :D

exhelodrvr

pilot
O.K., Ace ... riddle me this:

I'm right handed ... i.e., I am right eye dominant, I "write" right handed, eat right handed, I shoot right handed, wipe my ass right handed .... but I play most "throwing" sports left handed ... and pool, tennis, racquetball, etc. and basically all the rest -- right handed.

So where's my "advantage" ??? :confused::)

:sleep_125:sleep_125:sleep_125:sleep_125:sleep_125:sleep_125:sleep_125:sleep_125:sleep_125:sleep_125:sleep_125

I think that you would have a significant advantage in that it sounds like you have a higher level of ambidextrousness than most people.

But how good are you with your feet? That's the real question!!

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I would have started with the presumption that in most aircraft, being right handed would be an advantage. Generally stick inputs are more complicated than throttle inputs, so I would think that having the more complex control in one's dominant hand would be a plus.

I don't think the "it doesn't matter to good pilots line" is entirely true. It may not matter much, and may not take a lot of time to adjust, but it does make a difference. A right handed MLB batter could probably still outhit me as a lefty, but that doesn't mean it's not at least a little bit more difficult to change.

smittyrunr

pilot
Contributor
Flying with either hand isn't an issue... and my handwriting is so bad normally (right handed), it really doesn't matter if I try to scribble with my left.

TrueAce

Banned
I don't buy it. do you have any sources to back up that assertion?

Not right off hand but I'll take a look when I have time. Finals week right now. Here's a quick one I found though. Left handers tend to use both sides of the brain more easily. As you know the old saying two is better than one so the combined effect of utilizing them together efficiently may help reaction times ever so slightly.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6212972.stm

On another note I read something about certain left handed people having an advantage in public speaking due to being able to process higher amounts of information from integrating both sides of the brain more efficiently. It kind of makes sense too when you realize that Bill Clinton and Barrack Obama, two tremendous speakers are both left handed.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I'm surprised that nobody has really discussed civilian pilots......most of them end up spending a good part of their careers flying left handed (throttles being in the middle). It was never a huge issue for me in that sort of flying, though I could see how flying with the wrong hand in something like PA's or forms might be kind of challenging.

FlyinRock

D Rob
How much time does any sane person spend doing things on the "weak" or opposite side of their normal routine? Not much.
Ask someone to sign their name with the opposite hand and it turns into a barely legible scrawl. With practice they get better.
In my early days in martial arts I was told to work to avoid having a weak side. That goes from writing your name or whatever, to flying, to shooting, to ???????
I fly airplanes and helicopters and often switch from one to the other, and from right to left seat. In the very beginning it was a challenge but didn't take long to get it sorted out. You just do whatever it takes to do what needs to be done.
Want to have some fun? Get into something like a Cessna 172 and put your left foot on the right pedal, and your right foot on the left pedal on the other side of the pedestal and try to do coordinated maneuvers.
Talk about a monkey with a greased pig? Yahooooo
Once you figure out the changes and do some deliberate flying, you can accomodate and get back to minimum performance. So what you ask?
Well it saved my young ass when I got into a helicopter after major maintenance and the tail rotor cables were reversed! Was exciting for a few moments while my mind got it sorted out and I got it back on the ground for corrective maintenance.
Hey it only takes once in your flying career for this kind of thing to make a major difference!
Some concious practice and efforts will help you to avoid having a weak side if you find yourself with an injury or ....?
Been there and done it too many times for my old airframe to not hurt now. wahhhwaaaahhhh

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
Well it saved my young ass when I got into a helicopter after major maintenance and the tail rotor cables were reversed! Was exciting for a few moments while my mind got it sorted out and I got it back on the ground for corrective maintenance.

Shouldn't this kind of thing get caught on a control check on the ground? Especially for a PMCF where flight controls are involved.

Or do you rotorheads do things REALLY different? :D:D

exhelodrvr

pilot
Shouldn't this kind of thing get caught on a control check on the ground? Especially for a PMCF where flight controls are involved.

Or do you rotorheads do things REALLY different? :D:D

Depends on the helo, specifically whether or not there is the capability to have power to the control systems without having the rotor engaged. Skids vs wheels would also make a difference on when it could be detected.

I would think, though, that in any case it would "feel funny" as you are pulling power to lift into a hover.

FlyinRock

Ahhhh and there is the rub! What happens if you are in a tight spot while pulling pitch and things are not happening as you expect? Not all of us fly in a multi crew environment or on a big ramp. Better to expect Mr. Murphy to raise his head and start taking controls while you least expect it. He and I have been mortal enemies for over 50 years .....