• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USN Lewd Callsigns = bad!

Ozarky

pilot
I had the honor of flying as BULGE93 the other day… 😂

Another notable one that thankfully didn’t make the news: PINUP69

Last edited:

Ozarky

pilot
Computer generated callsigns? Can't speak to the VQ community, but that's something I've never heard of in a naval aviation context.
About to finish my TACAMO JO tour and that’s where we’ve always been told they came from, and as the article mentions, they change every day for us. Sometimes it’s words that are recognizable, or sometimes it’s just a somewhat-pronounceable alphabet soup. But for all I know the truth could be it’s some Air Force dude sitting in an office making up callsigns to give us lol.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Never been in a squadron, in my entire career, where the ATC callsign wasn't the standard squadron callsign or ATO derived (and also constant, during a deployment). I guess maybe it makes sense for TACAMO, while operating in the national airspace system, in order to preserve some OPSEC though

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
About to finish my TACAMO JO tour and that’s where we’ve always been told they came from, and as the article mentions, they change every day for us. Sometimes it’s words that are recognizable, or sometimes it’s just a somewhat-pronounceable alphabet soup. But for all I know the truth could be it’s some Air Force dude sitting in an office making up callsigns to give us lol.
Probably someone's idea of OPSEC. Meanwhile, you're presumably broadcasting your info via ADS-B for the world to see... then again, maybe not.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
I thought it was supposed to match the field in the DD-1801, VV..... for Navy birds.

GroundPounder

Probably someone's idea of OPSEC. Meanwhile, you're presumably broadcasting your info via ADS-B for the world to see... then again, maybe not.
I see them all the time on the ADS-S Exchange, which I've always wondered about. I'm sure the bad guys have ways of figuring out where they are, but why make it so easy.

What is even more perplexing is being able to watch C2s loop around a spot in the ocean and then disappear, only to reappear later on the way back to shore. That seems like way to much information to be putting out there. Why don't they block it like tactical aircraft do?

1723816825139.png

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I thought it was supposed to match the field in the DD-1801, VV..... for Navy birds.

Only if you're using your Tail and MODEX. The VV (or VM) is useless if you're using a JANAP or other type of callsign. There's only 7 characters available in the data tag.

I know they don't use these types of callsigns as often anymore (although I've seen them still used in Chat), but a ship callsign of R8J is still completely valid...and amusing.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
I see them all the time on the ADS-S Exchange, which I've always wondered about. I'm sure the bad guys have ways of figuring out where they are, but why make it so easy.

What is even more perplexing is being able to watch C2s loop around a spot in the ocean and then disappear, only to reappear later on the way back to shore. That seems like way to much information to be putting out there. Why don't they block it like tactical aircraft do?

View attachment 41006
I’m not sure what the demarcation line is. I do that that most military training flights show up on ADS-B but not always. Here’s Milton this morning…

1723819065786.png

FLGUY

“Technique only”
pilot
Contributor
Never been in a squadron, in my entire career, where the ATC callsign wasn't the standard squadron callsign or ATO derived (and also constant, during a deployment). I guess maybe it makes sense for TACAMO, while operating in the national airspace system, in order to preserve some OPSEC though
Unless you’re one of the nerds at VP-30, who are for some reason forced to literally say “Navy Lima Lima 123” instead of a normal squadron callsign like “Hawk 2-4”, because VP always has to VP.

Hotdogs

I don’t care if I hurt your feelings
pilot
I’ve always wanted to check in as “Ligma XX”before, subtle enough to not raise any eyebrows, but profound enough with the initiated to get a good laugh.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
In Russia, your callsign is either the street you grew up on or your high school mascot plus the number of chicken nuggets you can eat in 30 minutes.