• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USN Lewd Callsigns = bad!

FLGUY

“Technique only”
pilot
Contributor
Only an FRS thing, every other squadron uses “nickname XX”. Why does the FRS do it? I have no idea.
I liked all of our VP Squadron callsigns in Jax, actually. And it’s not even an overall FRS thing, it’s JUST a VP-30 FRS thing. I’m surprised someone at 30 hasn’t tried to change that.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Yeah, I think there was a comment above about a technicality about following the letter of the law. In my time. never had any issues using something like "WarHorse 21", both VFR or IFR, and on flights from SD to Cherry Point.

Has something changed in last ten years?

No, but SD is an even more unique case. Even though "San Diego" is covered by both Center and Approach, everyone seems to live using JANAPs without complaint. It didn't always used to be that way, as the Navy helos used to file with their tail codes, and sometimes you'd hear a jet with their code. But now, whether it be through additional MOUs and/or institutional inertia, everyone seems to just use their JANAP and ATC doesn't complain.

JAX has slowly become that way now too, which is why you'll hear even the VP birds use their callsign rather than their LIMA code (except for -30).

jointhelocalizer

pilot
I know the AIM says something to the effect of the military having multiple callsign conventions. So, I think controllers just roll with what you have. While some units across the military use the same proword, I can't see that being an issue outside of matching proword and numerals. I remember there being an R&I in Primary about having to use a VV callsign outside of 180NM, but nobody outside of the sim instructors really enforced that. The Red Knights used RN### for there's and I never got questioned about it, even on my CCX. The craziest thing I got was "Romeo November ###" and us replying as "Red Knight ###" cleared it up. In my current squadron, we have a standing local proword and we just pick the numerals outside of reserved ones for people like the CDRE or CO.

zipmartin

Never been better
pilot
Contributor
Back when I was still employed by Uncle Sam, I heard of an E-2 crew who were ferrying an aircraft that had the radar disc removed. They filed as "Topless ##" and somewhere along the way a female air controller took offense at the callsign and filled out a formal complaint against the Navy and the aircrew. This was shortly after Tailhook had blown up the news headlines.

GroundPounder

Back when I was still employed by Uncle Sam, I heard of an E-2 crew who were ferrying an aircraft that had the radar disc removed. They filed as "Topless ##" and somewhere along the way a female air controller took offense at the callsign and filled out a formal complaint against the Navy and the aircrew. This was shortly after Tailhook had blown up the news headlines.
If you look hard enough, everything can make you mad. Must be a miserable way to go through life.

I ended up on the carpet once after being the last car is President Clinton's motorcade once. The USSS had an agent with me, and he put a placard in the windshield that said. " Tail Car " . My car then gets parked at the destination, waiting for next movement when someone took offense and complained. Working for a Sheriff is fun sometimes, I had to go down and explain why there was a " lewd " sign on his car.

Good times.

Last edited:

plosky1

None
Our callsigns use the AFKAI-1 VCSL, which is a voice call sign list generated by the airforce for all of their sorties due to our dual-mission requirement, which is indeed generated by some random dude in an airforce office far away from us. There are 5000+ callsigns per month so it's not super surprising that some weird ones get mixed in. KINK69 was also one we had about a year ago that was great.

hlg6016

A/C Wings Here
I don't know about call signs but the old Navy/Marine C119 was the R4Q under the old a/c designation system. I was told by some of the old, old timers that was always good for some laughs at somebody's expense.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
No, but SD is an even more unique case. Even though "San Diego" is covered by both Center and Approach, everyone seems to live using JANAPs without complaint. It didn't always used to be that way, as the Navy helos used to file with their tail codes, and sometimes you'd hear a jet with their code. But now, whether it be through additional MOUs and/or institutional inertia, everyone seems to just use their JANAP and ATC doesn't complain.

JAX has slowly become that way now too, which is why you'll hear even the VP birds use their callsign rather than their LIMA code (except for -30).

Been a long time since I’ve done any kind of CQ/FCLPs, but that is one specific scenario where the tacair community uses their MODEX for an ATC call sign. I’m sure this happened quite a lot down there, since North Island is a pretty standard CQ beach det site.

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
Been a long time since I’ve done any kind of CQ/FCLPs, but that is one specific scenario where the tacair community uses their MODEX for an ATC call sign. I’m sure this happened quite a lot down there, since North Island is a pretty standard CQ beach det site.
I'm curious for my own personal knowledge why using MODEX is useful for those particular evolutions. I'm not questioning the wisdom, just don't understand.

OK, I'll hang up and listen. 😆

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I'm curious for my own personal knowledge why using MODEX is useful for those particular evolutions. I'm not questioning the wisdom, just don't understand.

OK, I'll hang up and listen. 😆

I actually have no idea, with respect to shore ATC. Obviously at the boat, it’s all side numbers and only the numbers unlike this which might be “AJ 201” for example, but it isn’t like they are handing off strips to the FAA. Maybe it has to do with ADIZ or something? I have no idea. A fair number of years too late to matter, now you have me wondering :)

My other guess is that it is in some original instruction for Naval Air Station ATC supporting shore to ship ops, written way back when, that has never been updated or questioned, and we just still do it. There aren’t really a lot of CQ ops that involve civilian ATC, other than maybe a gaining ARTCC or combined approach, since we always det for CQ from an NAS, and briefed diverts are normally other mil fields (field arresting gear often being a requirement or at least highly desirable). Can’t tell you what the diverts for more northern west coast CQ might be, but in the SOCAL op-area it is NZY and NKX, and east coast, it is KNKT, KNBC or KNIP if not KNTU. So not much that isn’t Navy-Navy

Worst part of this whole exchange is that now i feel like i might like to do it one last time, at night, before i retire. What kind of Stockholm syndrome is that??!

Last edited:

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
I actually have no idea, with respect to shore ATC. Obviously at the boat, it’s all side numbers and only the numbers unlike this which might be “AJ 201” for example, but it isn’t like they are handing off strips to the FAA. Maybe it has to do with ADIZ or something? I have no idea. A fair number of years too late to matter, now you have me wondering :)
You should have had to deal with LHD ATC. During night instrument training under VMC, their vectors left me with no confidence (I'm talking were lined up around 2-3 miles out, and get a heading change of like 40 degrees...maybe it was a noob trainee, I dunno). The Harrier det WTI on a MEU det operating close off the PI coast told me he had zero confidence they wouldn't vector him into terrain in IMC. <rant over>

Can LSOs read MODEXs on a pass?

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
You should have had to deal with LHD ATC. During night instrument training under VMC, their vectors left me with no confidence (I'm talking were lined up around 2-3 miles out, and get a heading change of like 40 degrees...maybe it was a noob trainee, I dunno). The Harrier det WTI on a MEU det operating close off the PI coast told me he had zero confidence they wouldn't vector him into terrain in IMC. <rant over>

Can LSOs read MODEXs on a pass?

Ball call, if made (any CQ pass, and any Case 3 recovery or any recovery using “low vis”calls, whether CQ or not), starts with side number/MODEX. During CQ, you also tack on your last name at the end of the call. If no ball call, ie during standard non-CQ Case 1 or Case 2, Paddles will note your MODEX either way (its apparent on the ISIS board, as well as just looking at the airplane as it crosses the ramp)