• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Life chasing subs just got more interesting!

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Very cool idea. I have a Brother Rat who is currently working for the guys at Dahlgren doing some of the computer modeling for this program. From what I've seen of his work, it's pretty cool.

BigRed389

None
Not sure if the press release mentions it.....but there was some talk of putting a laser seeker on aim-9x and an illuminator on the mast, as to make the weapon more discriminating. So the sub would have to be at PD to employ it. The Germans don't have this limitation on U212. They are supposed to be fiber optic wire guided. This also has an anti small boat application, when a MK48 would be overkill.

This seems like a just in case tool for shallow water ops. If you're out far enough, just go deep and hide.

While I get that this system is us vs them, if they have ASW aircraft with a good periscope detection radar, they have a shot at beating you to the punch...and really in a trade, a sub is more valuable than one a/c even in an even trade.

And a missile leaving the water pinpoints your position exactly, whereas a torpedo still leaves quite a bit of uncertainty as to exact position.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
And a missile leaving the water pinpoints your position exactly, whereas a torpedo still leaves quite a bit of uncertainty as to exact position.

Last time I checked it's almost impossible to shoot down an aircraft with a torpedo...

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Last time I checked it's almost impossible to shoot down an aircraft with a torpedo...

I remember sitting in the blockhouse at AUTEC when the helo reported that the exercise torpedo "broached!" (Did he really just say that???)

Yeah, my time would have been better used holding down the bar on the beach.

Try VERTREPing one.

And I have a neat video clip of some of my friends (no, seriously, it wasn't me) letting an empty torpedo box, hanging underneath on a pendant, really get away from them. Sometimes you don't even need the actual torpedo to hurt yourself :confused:

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
I remember sitting in the blockhouse at AUTEC when the helo reported that the exercise torpedo "broached!" (Did he really just say that???)

The Mk-50 EXTORP has/had a nasty habit of broaching when dropped from a hover.... Nothing like shooting yourself down with a torp!

BigRed389

None

Yeah, that wasn't my point.

Mumbles says it has an anti small boat application. My point being that it's not much of an extra benefit to be launching missiles from a submarine, marking its position, to kill a small boat. There are better tools for that job.

Not to mention why waste an expensive AIM-9X to blast a "small boat."
Or if you're talking about a real FAC, the Mk48 may be overkill, but an AIM-9X isn't necessarily going to kill it either.

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
I think the main impetus for this weapon is what would this do for a boat performing an ISR mission in a high threat environment, or an SSGN conducting TLAM strikes. What does this do for "persistance on station" knowing that you probably have a golden bb to take out threat MPA or small vessels that may have seen/ or would see a flaming datum tomahawk flying out of the water.

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
this is still probably the best way to take out small boats if you're a submariner....(these guys must be having a blast BTW!)[video]http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=f23_1179795504[/video]

I had heard rumors of the Euros experimenting w/ a sail mounted chain gun on their AIP boats....we'll see if it come to fruition.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Any chance the Navy would bring back non-nuclear subs? My knowledge of subs is limited to Das Boot, Operation Petticoat and Down Periscope....

http://thediplomat.com/2016/04/why-the-us-needs-conventional-submarines/

According to the article, AIP subs can stay down for up to 3 weeks... If you needed to increase fleet size but an all nuclear fleet is not affordable, is this a player as you could purchase 6-7 of these for the price of one nuke.

While previously conventional submarines had to snorkel roughly at least every two days of time under water to recharge their batteries, air-independent propulsion (AIP) has changed the game. German Type 212 submarines can stay under water without snorkeling for up to three weeks, traveling 1,500 miles (2,400 kilometers) or more. Without emitting heat and with no need for constant cooling due to the lack of a nuclear reactor, these German submarines and comparable designs are more than a match for nuclear-powered submarines in terms of stealthiness.

Here is the wikipedia page on they Type 212 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_212_submarine

IRfly

None
A civilian historian writing articles on sub tactics and procurement is the equivalent of a virgin writing a sex advice column.

You have anything to say about the column?

The gentleman makes some damn good points, most notably about the export market and the cost comparison of hull types. Besides, asking a military procurement expert about sub tactics and procurement is the rough equivalent of asking a fox his opinion on poultry farming. More to the point, if General Dynamics has hammers on offer, you can bet that every think-tank effort will be geared towards describing the world as a board full of nails.