• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Looking for gouge? Ask your Stupid Questions about Naval Aviation here (Part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
....We'll still deploy on the boat. Just probably not CVs. You still could, but it probably won't happen.
:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::skull_125

Can you say .... ????

downarrowsn5.gif

Achilles

That dog won't hunt, Monsignor!
pilot
I've got another stupid question. Does JOPA exist in the Marine Corps or is it a Navy only thing?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
So if the Marines are disappearing from the CV ....what does the Navy do to make up for the places they used to fill...
Use USN squadrons ... just like we did when the USMC didn't "fill" too much except for the MARDET aboard the big decks ... :)

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
Weren't Marine hornets on CVN's supposed to be a stop-gap cost-savings / pain-sharing gimmick in the first place?

whalepelt

Use USN squadrons ... just like we did when the USMC didn't "fill" too much except for the MARDET aboard the big decks ... :)

I follow that, but what USN squadrons? It's my understanding that USN and VMAF squadrons are more or less permanently assigned to one CVW. Is that the case?

If it is, and the Marines are no longer integrated, where do the squadrons come from to fill the slots they had in the wing? Does the Navy stand up squadrons, rotate squadrons from other CVWs as needed, or just deploy with fewer squadrons?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I follow that, but what USN squadrons? ....
Squadrons are mobile. I don't think they're going to be as "married" to a big deck as they were in the past. But I'm just guessin' ... don't know ... just connecting dots. They can go wherever, whenever ... but:

If "they" remove USMC big deck squadrons from the big decks ... you gotta make some more squadrons (right; like that's gonna happen :sleep_125) ... or get rid of decks.
:eek:

Again, I know nothing ... just spit ballin' ... :)

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Squadrons are mobile. I don't think they're going to be as "married" to a big deck as they were in the past. But I'm just guessin' ... don't know ... just connecting dots. They can go wherever, whenever ... but:

If "they" remove USMC big deck squadrons from the big decks ... you gotta make some more squadrons (right; like that's gonna happen :sleep_125) ... or get rid of decks.
:eek:

Again, I know nothing ... just spit ballin' ... :)

You're right. And whoever said that the VMFA CVW gig was a stop gap is right, too.

I'll bet they get rid of decks. I'm not saying that they should (about that or pretty much the rest of the sags), just that they probably will.

Semper Jump Jet

Ninja smoke...POOF.
pilot
It does, it's just called something else. It's the LPA... Once you make Captain, you're out!

I remember LPA from TBS days, but I never heard it again after I started KRock, maybe it's because of too much Navy contamination? :D It may also have to do with the fact that most guys pin on Captain before or soon after reporting to their squadron, which means the LPA wouldn't have enough L's to for an A. Regardless, for Harrier Squadrons it's JOPA all the way.

We don't call the Majors 'Hinges' though, the 'preferred nomenclature' for someone who's pinned on his oak leaf (and collected the requisite Lobotomy and/or Vasectomy) is simply 'Field Grades'.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I remember LPA from TBS days, but I never heard it again after I started KRock, maybe it's because of too much Navy contamination? :D It may also have to do with the fact that most guys pin on Captain before or soon after reporting to their squadron, which means the LPA wouldn't have enough L's to for an A. Regardless, for Harrier Squadrons it's JOPA all the way.

We don't call the Majors 'Hinges' though, the 'preferred nomenclature' for someone who's pinned on his oak leaf (and collected the requisite Lobotomy and/or Vasectomy) is simply 'Field Grades'.

From my observations, the LPA is an Air Force/Helo thing (coincidence?). The only people who (try to) pull rank in the JOPA are assholes, but for some reason Lts calling Capts "sir" and such seems par for the course in chopper-land.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Here's one- Maybe best for Xtndr50 but anybody can answer. It was his pics in the Pic of the day thread that made me think.

Do AF tankers fly with drogues and probes? His pics show both. Do they fly with both rigged at the same time? I've only ever seen Marine KC130s with drogues.

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
Here's one- Maybe best for Xtndr50 but anybody can answer. It was his pics in the Pic of the day thread that made me think.

Do AF tankers fly with drogues and probes? His pics show both. Do they fly with both rigged at the same time? I've only ever seen Marine KC130s with drogues.

KC-10 can fly with baskets on the wing pods and have the boom as well, plus the centerline hose. 135 has to rig up the "Iron Maiden" on the boom, rendering it boomless for the flight.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Xtndr50 can correct me if I am wrong, but......KC-10's were designed to have the capability to refuel with a boom and the hose, the hose is in the main fuselage near the boom. I can't remember if any have wing pods.

The KC-135 used to be able to do just one at a time. When they want to refuel Navy or allied planes a hose attachment is installed on the boom, the drogue is metal and is called the 'Iron Maiden'. With this attachment they cannot do the boom refuelling. They have since installed wing pods to many KC-135's that allow them to do both, I am not sure how many have this. There is the added advantage of being able to refuel two aircraft at once with the wing mounted pods (I have not seen three aircraft being refuelled at once, anyone?).

I believe the boom method was insisted on by SAC back in the 50's because it is much easier to do with large aircraft, like bombers. I believe the E-6 uses the boom method, though RAF Nimrods and E-3D's use the drogue method, so it can be done with big planes.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
What Flash said. There are KC-135s with wing pods. They're not very good, but they work. KC-10s have the basket come out of a hole up by the boom mount. I seriously doubt that the KC-135s could refuel 3 aircraft at once. It probably wouldn't be a great idea even if it were possible. There wouldn't be a lot of room. Plus, I've never seen a KC-135 with wing pods and an iron maiden configuration. Kind of defeats the purpose of having the pods. So, they would have to tank 2 navy/Marine jets and an air force jet at the same time, which seems like an odd match-up. You'd still have jets waiting in observation in all probability.

Status
Not open for further replies.