• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Looking for gouge? Ask your Stupid Questions about Naval Aviation here (Part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
Here's one.

What is life like aboard MSC ships for helicopter detachments? I assume HSC does this right?

I sailed with MSC, but the ship did not have a helo detachment as I was on an Oiler.

I know those on the Lewis and Clark class must have it good, those ships have internet wired to each room.
Let's just say that it should be considered a crime against humanity that they draw sea pay for such "arduous duty".:D

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
When I was out there, IM worked, AW chat worked, page downloads were pretty quick, and my school and yahoo email accounts worked fine.

Exactly. My experience w/ FFG-net was just like yours except add the words "did not" in front of every "work" in your sentence.

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
Exactly. My experience w/ FFG-net was just like yours except add the words "did not" in front of every "work" in your sentence.
You mean you were actually granted internet privileges?!?!?!?!

H20man

Drill baby drill!
I have been spoiled when it comes to shipboard life.

Every ship I have been on I have had my own stateroom with head and shower, decent floor space, good sized desk and wardrobe, on two ships I had my own TV and DVD player both hooked into the ships system, and on the MSC ship we had satellite TV.

In addition the two Matson ships I sailed on were both wet ships. My fridge either had the good stuff when we stopped in Guam, or Tsingtao, which was given to us when we gave the Chinese our slops.

Another question:

Do the carriers still launch aircraft during UNREPs? The times we got to play with them, only the helos were up taking care of dhows or VERTREPing with the other supply ship.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
You mean you were actually granted internet privileges?!?!?!?!

You bet. We live large, west coast style.

on two ships I had my own TV and DVD player both hooked into the ships system, and on the MSC ship we had satellite TV.

Entertainment is a whole other ball of wax. The trick is to get in w/ the STO (or whatever the CG/DDG DIVO title is) and find out where the cables are. For both my deployments, I brought a TV of some sort (never less than 19"...I have my standards) and we were plugged into the coax along w/ our in-room DVD and Aux sound setup. I mean, we're not animals. We have to have some level of civilization.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Here's one.

What is life like aboard MSC ships for helicopter detachments? I assume HSC does this right?

I sailed with MSC, but the ship did not have a helo detachment as I was on an Oiler.

I know those on the Lewis and Clark class must have it good, those ships have internet wired to each room.

Better than a gator. I haven't long cruised on a Gator or a USNS, but have done some short dets on both, and I'd hands down choose the USNS for QOL. The stateroom I had on the USNS was a little smaller than the one I had on the LHD, but I didn't have to share it with 3 other guys and the head was right there.

Now, as far as aviation facilities...the Gator is much better. Their TACAN/CCA tends to work most of the time, NVD compatability, TACRON is a nice asset as is the huge deck and the fact that there's no need to do the gas/wash/stuff dance.

The other good that comes with USNS is that means you're probably doing to vertrep. Which is awesome...to quite awesome.

phrogpilot73

So not to sound like a dumbass, but what exactly do shooters do? I know they "launch" the planes, but since they don't actually push the button I was curious what their duties/responsibilites in the whole flight deck dance are...

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
So not to sound like a dumbass, but what exactly do shooters do? I know they "launch" the planes, but since they don't actually push the button I was curious what their duties/responsibilites in the whole flight deck dance are...

It depends on what kind of boat you are on. All shooters do "topside" shooting with the "pose" you might have seen. When shooting topside, I tell the deckedge operator to hit the fire button when I touch the deck then put my arm up and point forward. Note on the attached video there is a Sailor in the deckedge (deckedge operator) directly across from the shooter. That's the guy who has the controls for the catapult and who the shooter directs to fire the cat. Note that deckedge operator has their own hand signals confirming where the cat is.

On the Nimitz class boats, we have a "bubble" or integrated catapult control station, where the shooter actually preses the "fire" button. Kitty Hawk and Big E have only topside available.

Attachments

• fishbubble.jpg
    fishbubble.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 56

phrogpilot73

I kind of knew that much. I was wondering more along the lines of what you're checking/double checking before shooting, what you're communicating to the pilot, why it's a pilot that does it, etc...

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I kind of knew that much. I was wondering more along the lines of what you're checking/double checking before shooting, what you're communicating to the pilot, why it's a pilot that does it, etc...

It's equal opportunity...can be a NFO as well

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The shooter has no verbal communication with the pilot at all. Shooter is on the flight deck circuit, and pilot is communicating with the tower. The only time I communicate with the pilot is when I return his/her salute indicating they are ready to go flying. At night, the pilot will turn on the a/c anti-smack and position lights indicating they are ready to fly. If they don't want to go flying, the pilots look at me and shake their head "no." At night, they won't turn on the a/c lights or they will turn them off. If the pilot wants to suspend, they call it out on the tower circuit, and the tower can suspend the launch with a button.

Before I press, or direct the pressing of the fire button, I double check a whole bunch of things (in a nutshell):
1. aicraft properly attached to the catapult and the correct holdback bar is on there.
2. I have authorization via a green beacon light to start launching.
3. the catapult is properly "stepped up" and is mechanically ready to launch
4. the front end is clear to shoot
5. the pilot is ready to go flying
6. I still have the appropriate winds to launch
7. final thumbs up from everyone.

Once those items are complete, the jet goes flying.

It's a pilot, NFO, or even an LDO sometimes that is a shooter. Why is because an aviator shooter has a certain kinship with the pilot and we understand the "safe for flight" concept in a different way. There are some basic aero issues that have to be understood to shoot a/c, so an aviator type already understands those concepts.

It is always an officer because of the rank/accountability of "pressing" the fire button.

phrogpilot73

Good info, next question - and this is much more subjective. Do you think there is more of an uphill learning curve for a guy who isn't a tailhooker? Obviously, not intended to get into a jets vs. helos pissing match (especially since I'm a fellow bubba), more along the lines of reading through that I thought "I know what a ready deck is, what winds are, thumbs up, etc..." but the launch bars/catapult setup is something that is outside of my normal knowledges...

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Good info, next question - and this is much more subjective. Do you think there is more of an uphill learning curve for a guy who isn't a tailhooker? Obviously, not intended to get into a jets vs. helos pissing match (especially since I'm a fellow bubba), more along the lines of reading through that I thought "I know what a ready deck is, what winds are, thumbs up, etc..." but the launch bars/catapult setup is something that is outside of my normal knowledges...

I think the learning curve is the same for all new shooters regardless of previous platforms. The hookup and launch equipment is all taught at a school in Lakehurst, NJ. Lots of OJT and PQS signoffs to go along. It was well outside my normal knowledges too, but it's definitely learnable. There is some artistry involved with timing the shots (especially when shooting all 4 catapults) and some coordination stuff, but that comes with an increased SA bubble and time on the job. What protects the shooter from failure most of the time is the topside crew and built in system redundancies (interlocks and whatnot). It's a job where the end result has to be 100% right every time, or you (and the aircrew) are screwed.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Here's a new stupid question. Hornet deployments in the Marine Corps. How often are VMFA's embarked on carriers and for how long? Is it routine? I don't think I've ever done an exercise with Marine F18s where they were coming off of a boat.

Do Marine pilots ever do time as shooters or paddles?

Status
Not open for further replies.