• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

love me or hate me

Horseshoe

It seems that everyone on this forum is extremely devoted to Navy and/or Marines aviation. But, if you all are so devoted, then can you explain why you love the Navy or Marines much more than Air Force aviation?

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
By the way, your first two posts (threads) were absolutely stellar...can we have a third soon? Please? :D

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
Because the USAF is a bunch of Ascot-wearing, flight-suit ironing, 12,000 foot runway needing homos.

Real men land on boats.

Metrosexuals fly P3s. We tolerate them, and put them in charge of making the chicky foo-foo drinks at functions.

Well, there ya go. He summed it up with one beautiful post.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It seems that everyone on this forum is extremely devoted to Navy and/or Marines aviation. But, if you all are so devoted, then can you explain why you love the Navy or Marines much more than Air Force aviation?
The Air Force only has pilots. The Navy and Marine Corps...well, we have Naval Aviators

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Metrosexuals fly P3s. We tolerate them, and put them in charge of making the chicky foo-foo drinks at functions.

They also were in charge of the "The Fly", the best O Club Bar in the Med (Sigonella)....would you rather be the SDO or Bartender on your duty day????

Max respect from me for all the Sig P-3 guys and JO bartenders that made our many "touch and goes" there memorable and refreshing

Stearmann4

I'm here for the Jeeehawd!
None
Not to mention I have yet to discover an Air Force pilot that didn't refer to a reg in detail to explain exactly why he couldn't accomplish the mission, rather than looking for the one that allowed him to accomplish the mission. Even Army aviators realize the Air Force is at best, a corporate flying club.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

First, this topic has been covered before. If you do a search you will find several threads on the topic.

To seriously answer your question.........The Navy and Marines give their Naval Aviators and Naval Flight Officers much more responsibility much earlier in their careers than the USAF. This translates into much more important decision-making at a much lower level as well as fewer restricitons on what we can do, when we can do it and how we fly it than the USAF.

The best example from personal experience that I can think of that shows the difference is that when I was in EP-3's I was a Mission Commander on my last deployment to the Middle East. I was responsible getting our missions done and I had the freedom to decide on how best to accomplish them, all the while in charge of 23 other aircrew, officer and enlisted. And this was the for the only EP-3 in theater. I had just over 4 years in the Navy, just 2 years in the squadron, and I was barely an O-3. This was not unusual, it was the norm in my squadron.

In contrast, the USAF the mission commanders on large aircraft are usually O-4's or O-5's, occasionally very senior O-3's with 8-10 years in, and they are don't have control over how to best accomplish the mission. They are usually told very specifically how to do their mission by the squadron commander, sometimes for just one plane deployed to a theater.

I have repeatedly heard a saying that best describes the difference n Navy and Air Force flying "The Air Force has rules for what you can do, the Navy has rules on what you can't do."