• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

love me or hate me

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
Whats the world coming to...cats sleeping with dogs...oh lord please take me now....

I learned crud in kadena. For the AF, it was an official squadron sport with brackets and all. The even had a specially made pool table (missing the side pockets) in the o club. I will admit we navy guys had fun playing full contact crud, but the thought of how the AF approached the game still gives me the willies....

We played full contact crud, had a specially made pool table (plastic cups in the side pockets) and beer, but didn't chair force it up like that...

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
This is a very cock weak question........which by the way sums up your answer.

Zilch

This...is...Caketown!
I'm ashamed to admit it now, and I've mentioned it here before, but I did contact the AF when I was researching careers earlier on. Wanted to fly A-10's, arguably the best thing the AF has going for it.

Granted, I'm not commissioned yet, but holy hell the guys I talked to were...eh, less professional. They had this "briefing" thing they had me and some other people attend. I was there 15 minutes early, having traveled 40-50 miles to get there. They arrived 15 minutes late, still sipping on sodas. The briefing turned out to be a short video about their OTS.

After the video, I asked them about flying careers. This was the Air Force, so I figured they'd have some options for me. They rolled their eyes, as if to say, "Another one. Great." I got very few answers and many snide looks. All in all, a waste of an afternoon. Thankfully, the sloppiness of the whole afternoon saved me even more time in wasted applications and such.

There's more I could say, but you get the point.

The Marines OSO, now...Night and day, I tell you. Totally professional, helpful, up front and honest.

one receipt: .02

WishICouldFly

UO Future Pork Chop
After the video, I asked them about flying careers. This was the Air Force, so I figured they'd have some options for me. They rolled their eyes, as if to say, "Another one. Great." I got very few answers and many snide looks. All in all, a waste of an afternoon.

That reminds of when some Army Aviation officer told me that I had a better chance of flying in the Army than in the Air Force...hmm...

Zilch

This...is...Caketown!
That reminds of when some Army Aviation officer told me that I had a better chance of flying in the Army than in the Air Force...hmm...

I do think that's correct. If my source (an Army recruiter :) ) is correct, the Army has more airframes than the AF does. I assume that helps one's chances. Further, I think AF Academy guys get first crack at flying jobs, so OTS people get the few that are left.

I think the Navy does something similar? The Marines flight contract was explained to me in that way. I hear USNA grads tend to take up most of the Navy's aviation slots, reducing the availability for OCS and other programs. The Marines don't get such a big draw from the USNA, hence, flight contracts for OCS. This is from another candidate, I think, so maybe some who actually knows can correct this if I'm wrong.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I think the Navy does something similar? The Marines flight contract was explained to me in that way. I hear USNA grads tend to take up most of the Navy's aviation slots, reducing the availability for OCS and other programs. The Marines don't get such a big draw from the USNA, hence, flight contracts for OCS. This is from another candidate, I think, so maybe some who actually knows can correct this if I'm wrong.

Off topic, but here it goes...

For the Navy, the above is very wrong. ROTC and USNA get an equal amount of slots. OCS was never meant to be a primary recruiting source, so while they do get "what's left," it's used as a stop gap measure, so depending on the numbers for that year, they might actually add slots to OCS to get more bodies through. The short of it is that USNA has no selection advantage over ROTC.

Zilch

This...is...Caketown!
Thanks for clearing that up...I hate it when my brain contains false or incomplete information.

BackOrdered

Contributor
What I find interesting from what I've read here on AW is that the Navy is less selective in its pilots but give out more responsibilities and is inherently more challenging (carrier landing nuff said). While the AF is more selective, but according to what I've read here, less challenging and gives its pilot less responsibilities. Interesting indeed.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
What I find interesting from what I've read here on AW is that the Navy is less selective in its pilots but give out more responsibilities and is inherently more challenging (carrier landing nuff said). While the AF is more selective, but according to what I've read here, less challenging and gives its pilot less responsibilities. Interesting indeed.

I think "less selective" might be the wrong phrase, but I understand what you meant. How about "less restrictive on certain requirements."

BackOrdered

Contributor
I think "less selective" might be the wrong phrase, but I understand what you meant. How about "less restrictive on certain requirements."

Restrictive! That's the word I was looking for!

Even though I have no desire to fly, it just seems a little bad to me that the AF's flight slots get eaten up by the Academy/ROTC guys to the point that OCS types have little to no shot. I've never been a big fan of application processes with failure written in stone before one gets a chance to fail on his/her own. The Navy OCS flight opportunities are small, but very possible. That's what I was getting at.