• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Magnetic or True North?

Which do you prefer for BRC at a ship?

• True North

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
There's a book out there, I think it's called the LHA/LHD NATOPS MANUAL (NAVAIR 00-80T-106), that defines the BRC as: "base recovery course (BRC). The ship’s magnetic heading during flight operations." (I cut and paste the definition so nothing could be lost in translation.)...
LHA/LHD (whatever THOSE are) and CV/CVA/CVS NATOPS: F.Y.I for all of you-all ... since there seems to be some 'discussion' on the topic --- BRC IS ALWAYS/HAS ALWAYS BEEN MAGNETIC !!!

W/ apologies to Martha Stewart: it's a good thing.

I only have one question: any questions ??? :)

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
LHA/LHD (whatever THOSE are) and CV/CVA/CVS NATOPS: F.Y.I for all of you-all ... since there seems to be some 'discussion' on the topic --- BRC IS ALWAYS/HAS ALWAYS BEEN MAGNETIC !!!

W/ apologies to Martha Stewart: it's a good thing.

I only have one question: any questions ??? :)

Exactly. This all sounds very familiar...almost like someone posted this stuff a few posts earlier.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Exactly. This all sounds very familiar...almost like someone posted this stuff a few posts earlier.
I dunno ... until K-Bay saved the day, this is all I remember reading: " I can't remember for the LHA Natops"

:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):icon_smil

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
..the only thing we're concerned with around the boat is magnetic (BRC) and relative (winds over the deck)...
We had this and similar 'arguments' 40 years ago ... and in a perfect world: while these aren't necessarily the same, what about 'final bearing'??

FINAL BEARING. Which is what counts for fixed wing drivers ...

If they're not the same (relative wind & final bearing): shouldn't they be ... ???

Good BOAT drivers can make it happen ... why can't all of 'em ???

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I dunno ... until K-Bay saved the day, this is all I remember reading: " I can't remember for the LHA Natops"

Touche. But BRC is BRC, regardless of the boat or pub...ie, it's magnetic.

We had this and similar 'arguments' 40 years ago ... and in a perfect world: while these aren't necessarily the same, what about 'final bearing'??

If they're not the same (relative wind & final bearing): shouldn't they be ... ???

The potential problem there is when you introduce anything w/ a "F" in the name, the small-boy Shoes will give it to you in true, again because of the ATP-1. You're right, though, FB is what matters, and not just to fixed-wing guys. Like I mentioned earlier, it's an issue for helos going into a non-LAMPS ships or the "smaller" gators.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Your Air Boss is wrong and probably just lazy. The gauge in the tower shows the ship's course in true since that's what SWOs speak. It probably wouldn't be too hard to make the gauge correct for magvar, but they don't - the boss has to do math before passing it.

With that said, the BRC is a perishable value anyhow. More than once I've broken out on a Case III approach staring at the side of the island because the boat turned mid-approach.

Always remember, the boat is trying to kill you. The Gator Navy just seems more dedicated to the cause.

/vstol lso

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor

Good BOAT drivers can (most of the time)...exception: When recovery is required with calm natural wind, the ship may have to make it's own wind. Artificial wind is by definition "axial wind" irregardless of FB, therefore is an approx. 13 degree stbd crosswind regardless of ship's heading. Even the "best" SWO can't overcome that.:icon_help

Edit: Speaking CV/CVA only
BzB

kejo

pilot
60B will give you both...as long as you have the correct MAGVAR entered in Nav Parameters :)...Oops!

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
60B will give you both...as long as you have the correct MAGVAR entered in Nav Parameters :)...Oops!

But when in True, you don't have any kind of course guidance nor DME, which makes it kind of worthless.

kejo

pilot
Indeed...however a moot point for me now, going back to the TH-57, and probably never touching a 60B again...

Pags

N/A
pilot
Always remember, the boat is trying to kill you. The Gator Navy just seems more dedicated to the cause.

/vstol lso

You need to get out more :)

Non L-Class ships are far worse than any Amphib I've ever worked with. That said, Shoes are still Shoes and even the best Gator bridge crew seems to have an uncanny knack for putting the ship in the middle of the only rain in a 50mi radius.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Indeed...however a moot point for me now, going back to the TH-57, and probably never touching a 60B again...

Never say never. I once thought the same as you. While not part of the "normal" food chain, I still seem to find myself in a -60B again, albeit Block 0's.

PhrogLoop

Adulting is hard
pilot
Shoes are still Shoes...
Tell me about it! This week, I had to put on my Safety Officer hat and personally visit a DDG skipper pierside. He was getting underway Monday for a few days of aviation services (our squadron going first Tuesday night) and he wanted one of our pilots to get underway and spend the night and then be on the bridge with him for our DLQs. My OPSO chuckled into the side of the phone and offered to send me over for an hour for a warm fuzzy brief. I got there and spent about 30 minutes explaining how we were not Bravos so we were not going to ask for RAST landings. Another 10 minutes to explain that we were not going to HIFR. Then another 20 minutes on the flight deck where he pointed at and asked me what each line and circle meant. Seriously, I cannot make this stuff up.