• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Man accused of pumping jet fuel into his car

et1nuke

pilot
Contributor
I knew someone in Hawaii who was "saving" fuel when his students sumped the tanks on the planes and would put it in his motorcycle. I told him he was an idiot.

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
I had an instructor who, as a C-130 guy out in Miramar, used to take all the sumped fuel (JP-8) and run it in his Jetta TDi. Worked like a charm. And he claims to have not bought fuel the whole time he was there.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I knew someone in Hawaii who was "saving" fuel when his students sumped the tanks on the planes and would put it in his motorcycle. I told him he was an idiot.

A lot of people use 100LL (illegally) for off-road vehicles. If it isn't fuel injected, and doesn't have a catalytic converter, it generally will work. The potential fine is definitely not worth it though. When I worked as a line-man in college at the local airport, we would occasionally get folks who would come over to the self-serve station, pump 100LL into little gas cans, and then leave. More than likely this is what they were doing.....

You can definitely run Jet-A or equivalent in diesel motors. I have also heard that the PT-6 can run off diesel in undeveloped areas (ie on a short term basis) where no JP or Jet fuel is available....anyone else know anything about this?

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
The funny thing is that it doesn't yield more power in a stock car or bike---it yields less. All that guy is doing is leaving nasty carbon deposits in his engine, and going slower. Now if he's gotta a turbo/supercharger and he's turning up the boost while on the high octane stuff, that's a completely different story.

Whenever I hear people brag about how they put race gas or avgas in their stock bikes to get more power I can't help but laugh.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Higher resistance to knocking/detonation, but again, unless you are cranking the boost this shouldn't be needed

HackerF15E

Retired Strike Pig Driver
None
I ran sumped 100LL in a 1973 Monte Carlo for about 2 years with no ill effects. Nice, clean exhaust, and nice clean valves when I pulled it apart. No noticeable change (either more or less) in power, but a SIGNIFICANT change in what my gas bill was as a college student!

JIMC5499

ex-Mech
When I worked at the local airport I used to run 100LL in my Nissan Sentra. I'd never run it straight, but when I knew I was going to drain the sump on the fuel truck, I put about 2/3 of a tank of crap gas and top it off with the 100LL. Never had a problem with the engine, car died of rust from the salt used on the roads in winter. One thing though, if you are going to do this make sure that the cooling system in the car is good. 100LL burns a bit hotter than regular gas. When I was at NAS Jax I knew several guys who ran JP-5 in diesel Rabbits. A guy at the Hobby shop showed them how to make a fuel control adjustment and they added 1 qt of 10W oil to every 5 gallons.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
When I worked at the local airport I used to run 100LL in my Nissan Sentra. I'd never run it straight, but when I knew I was going to drain the sump on the fuel truck, I put about 2/3 of a tank of crap gas and top it off with the 100LL. Never had a problem with the engine, car died of rust from the salt used on the roads in winter. One thing though, if you are going to do this make sure that the cooling system in the car is good. 100LL burns a bit hotter than regular gas. When I was at NAS Jax I knew several guys who ran JP-5 in diesel Rabbits. A guy at the Hobby shop showed them how to make a fuel control adjustment and they added 1 qt of 10W oil to every 5 gallons.

Another note of caution, if your car has a catalytic converter (like any emissions approved vehicle on US roads for the last 20 years) you will toast it in a manner of minutes running leaded gas through your exhaust. Not to mention that the lead and additives will clog your fuel injectors, and generally damage your fuel control system. I would only say Avgas can safely (and not even talking about legality here) be used on older carbureted motors.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Read John Glen's book a few years ago and he talked about pumping Avgas into his car when he was younger. It's along the lines of what MidnJac was saying though, he had an old carbureted car so it actually helped it some.