• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marine Aviator Philosophy: Marine first, aviator second?

Steve Davies

Aviation Writer & Photographer
Gentlemen (and Ladies)

I am writing a small feature on the Hornet for UK/Japanese magazine, and one of the aspects of the article is to discuss the philosophy of the Marine Corps with respect to its tactical aircrew.

I am posting here in the hope that any Marine aviators (past or present) will put me straight if I have the following wrong:

It's my understanding that Marine aviators *must* serve a 1-year ground tour as a Marine soldier before becoming an aviator. Is this correct?

I also understand that Marine aviators consider themselves Marines (soldiers) first, aviators second. Is this also correct?

Finally, I am completely wrong in thinking that the Marine Corps' Hornets (and AV-8B IIs) are primarily responsible for working *for* Marine commanders on the ground?

If all of the above is true, then does it make the job of FAC(A) or CAS easier, or increase the understanding of what's going on on the ground to the point where your execution of FAC(A) and CAS is more effective?

Any help, including raising the BS flag as necessary, you can give would be really helpful.

Cheers

Steve Davies

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
No Marine thinks of himself as a soldier, ever.

Marine Officers think of themselves as Marine Officers first and aviators second.

Not all Marine aviators do a tour as a FAC with the Infantry, many do but not all. This type of tour is sought after by many and avoided by many others. Prior to flight school all Marine Officers regardless of MOS (Military Occupational Specialty) do a 6 month infantry skills intensive course designed to give all Officers a sense of leading a rifle platoon.

Marine air exists to support the Marine on the ground, what we lack in artillery we make up for in air support. With that said Marine air will support tasking given by the Joint Forces Air Component Commander (JFACC). Sorties will be appoirted as appopriate but traditionally all the in house CAS needs will be sourced first then the extrenal tasking.

Having done a tour as a FAC I believe it has made me a much more effective CAS and FAC(A) pilot. The experience on the ground will produce a much more rounded aviator regardless of platform.

Steve Davies

gatordev said:
Quick correction: "Hornet" is a F/A-18. A AV-8B is a "Harrier."

Thanks Gatordev. Wasn't sure if the Marines had stuck with the 'Harrier' name.

An additional question on protocol, if I may?

I take it that referring to a Marine on the ground as a 'soldier' is almost criminal! So, are they referred to as simply Marines, or grunts, infantry or some other name?

Cheers

Steve

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Thanks Gatordev. Wasn't sure if the Marines had stuck with the 'Harrier' name.

An additional question on protocol, if I may?

I take it that referring to a Marine on the ground as a 'soldier' is almost criminal! So, are they referred to as simply Marines, or grunts, infantry or some other name?

Cheers

Steve

Marines are referred to as Marines.

Steve Davies

And another:

Is it true that the camouflage helmet covers worn by Marine aircrew are used primarily to remind them of their roots and bretheren on the ground?

Given that aircrew seem to throw thei helmets away as soon as they land on enemy ground following ejection, I had discounted the possibility that the covers are for camouflage.

phrogpilot73

And another:

Is it true that the camouflage helmet covers worn by Marine aircrew are used primarily to remind them of their roots and bretheren on the ground?

Given that aircrew seem to throw thei helmets away as soon as they land on enemy ground following ejection, I had discounted the possibility that the covers are for camouflage.

You are correct in your assumption. Every Marine who is not an infantryman is well aware that his job is to support the young Marine with a rifle in his hand. There really is no use for a helmet cover (i.e. the Navy doesn't use them at all) other than to remind us who we really are working for...

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
You are correct in your assumption. Every Marine who is not an infantryman is well aware that his job is to support the young Marine with a rifle in his hand. There really is no use for a helmet cover (i.e. the Navy doesn't use them at all) other than to remind us who we really are working for...

Unless you're TACAIR...

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Unless your TACAIR...

What exactly do you mean by this?

Helmet covers actually do serve a couple of purposes besides the "kinship with the grunts". I will let the jet guys talk about what they use them for (staying in my lane)

In the Cobra they cut down on glare on the front seaters helmet on NVGs from either moon or starlight (yes it matters especially on a dark ass blue water ops night). Also it doesnt make your head stand out as a sniper target when on deck at FARPs or FOBs that may have snipers around.

phrogpilot73

What exactly do you mean by this?

Helmet covers actually do serve a couple of purposes besides the "kinship with the grunts". I will let the jet guys talk about what they use them for (staying in my lane)

In the Cobra they cut down on glare on the front seaters helmet on NVGs from either moon or starlight (yes it matters especially on a dark ass blue water ops night). Also it doesnt make your head stand out as a sniper target when on deck at FARPs or FOBs that may have snipers around.
Sorry, I should correct my previous statement. They really serve very little purpose for assault support guys... About the only purpose would be the sniper threat...