• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marine Aviator Philosophy: Marine first, aviator second?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thief comes to mind as well.

Brett

Still miss Pinky Brett?

kittybike.jpeg

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Marine officer first; Naval officer first ... whatever does it for you, to use the vernacular.

But when they join up on my wing or set foot in my cockpit ... they had better be an Aviator first .... :eek:

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
(i.e. the Navy doesn't use them at all)

Oh contraire, mon frere.... (What purpose did they serve? Other than to remind us that we were "in the sh!t", probably not much; I would have ditched the helmet quickly if I found myself walking.)

hscs

pilot
Navy helo guys do wear the helmet covers -- don't want light reflecting off of the helmet to let haji see you. Not really sure why Navy pointy nosed guys use them -- they stay pretty far up.

MasterBates

That being said, ditch the cover if you are bobbing around in the drink waiting for the helo to come. That retroreflective tape is the easiest thing to see at night.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
...Helmet covers actually do serve a couple of purposes besides the "kinship with the grunts". I will let the jet guys talk about what they use them for (staying in my lane)...

Right. "Kinship" be damned .... as the VMFA-112 Cowboys wore them because they thought they looked ... "cool" ... :)

airgreg

low bypass axial-flow turbofan with AB driver
pilot
My squadron actually has an unenforced but written SOP that all aircrew should wear helmet covers. When I asked why, I was told that it is to help avoid scratching the canopy glass with your helmet during zero, neg-G, or lateral maneuvers. Additionally, apparently some of the WSO's raise their seats as high as possible to get better vis over the instrument panel or of their 6.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
help avoid scratching the canopy glass with your helmet during zero, neg-G, or lateral maneuvers.

Puh-leeze. If that were true, everyone (in both services) would wear them, especially since that reflective tape is just like 40-grit sandpaper. :rolleyes: Not a ding on you, just the morons in your command who justify their SOP with such a weak rationale.

Brett

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
.....it is to help avoid scratching the canopy glass with your helmet during zero, neg-G, or lateral maneuvers...

Ahhhhh .... *sigh* .... be still my beating heart .... reminds me of the good 'ol days of pressing STUDs' faces, heads, and lips against the interior canopy glass all the while when doing the un-doable in the TA-4 ...:eek:

Perhaps they should have worn lip covers ... ??? Or at the very least -- chapstick ???
:)

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
UInavy said:
So are you saying its a good idea (since the tape is like month-5 non-skid), or its a bad idea because of the 'weak rationale'?

I'm saying the "Don't scratch the canopy" excuse is lame, even if there are other good reasons to wear the cover.

Brett

Intruder Driver

All Weather Attack
pilot
Ahhhhh .... *sigh* .... be still my beating heart .... reminds me of the good 'ol days of pressing STUDs' faces, heads, and lips against the interior canopy glass all the while when doing the un-doable in the TA-4 ...:eek:

Perhaps they should have worn lip covers ... ??? Or at the very least -- chapstick ???
:)

Wasn't it part of the passage into manhood to bang a stud's (or shitbird B/N's) helmet off the canopy hard enough to either crack the canopy or the helmet?