• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marine Aviator Philosophy: Marine first, aviator second?

nocal80

Harriers
pilot
Thanks Gatordev. Wasn't sure if the Marines had stuck with the 'Harrier' name.

An additional question on protocol, if I may?

I take it that referring to a Marine on the ground as a 'soldier' is almost criminal! So, are they referred to as simply Marines, or grunts, infantry or some other name?

Cheers

Steve

infantry Marines are referred to as grunts, and refer to themselves as grunts. You're not going to offend a Marine by calling him a grunt.

greysword

Boldly lick where no one has licked before
I always used Devil Dog, they seemed to like that :D

ddogtear.jpg

H60Gunner

Contributor
That being said, ditch the cover if you are bobbing around in the drink waiting for the helo to come. That retroreflective tape is the easiest thing to see at night.

Very sound advice if you find yourself in the water at night. Also, kicking you legs and flailing your arms stirs up the bioluminescence, p!ssing them off and marking your location with a bright green glow......

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
I always used Devil Dog, they seemed to like that :D

ddogtear.jpg

;) Typically we also call each other "devil" ... or "dawg" .... we also use the Army's
"hooah" when we are making fun of something, or pointing out something that is particularely lame or overtly "routine".

there are other code words for the commencement of bike stealing operations... but I'm going to avoid the obvious opsec violation associated with posting that information here. :D

-J

airgreg

low bypass axial-flow turbofan with AB driver
pilot
Puh-leeze. If that were true, everyone (in both services) would wear them, especially since that reflective tape is just like 40-grit sandpaper. :rolleyes: Not a ding on you, just the morons in your command who justify their SOP with such a weak rationale.
Brett
Maybe that's why it is "unenforced". Far more examples of the Navy standard sticker flair (15 pieces is the minimum) than the high-speed camo covers.
That was just a rationale I was given, I think by a PR, so not the official company line.

a4sForever said:
Ahhhhh .... *sigh* .... be still my beating heart .... reminds me of the good 'ol days of pressing STUDs' faces, heads, and lips against the interior canopy glass all the while when doing the un-doable in the TA-4 ...

Perhaps they should have worn lip covers ... ??? Or at the very least -- chapstick ???
You're not suggesting that there are times when your sleeves aren't fully rolled down, the gloves are stowed carefully in your helmet bag, and your mask is dangling loosely to one side? :icon_smil The regs make it really difficult to finish a cigarette.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
.... You're not suggesting that there are times when your sleeves aren't fully rolled down, the gloves are stowed carefully in your helmet bag, and your mask is dangling loosely to one side? :icon_smil ...

I try never to ...."suggest" .... :)