• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

MAV vs UAV

Skeet

Banned
@Raptor10: sorry I forgot the answer to #3. Real time targeting info if you don't have JSTARS up on the net.

Skeet

Banned
Brett, I know you your stuff... but I know mine. I've done a tour over there working with UAVs and I like them. JSTARS was always off link or couldn't provide the exact targeting info we needed. It's almost useless in an urban environment. Like a car model, or who in a group? UAV can do it, and has, Just my opinion.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Brett, I know you your stuff... but I know mine. I've done a tour over there working with UAVs and I like them. JSTARS was always off link or couldn't provide the exact targeting info we needed. It's almost useless in an urban environment. Like a car model, or who in a group? UAV can do it, and has, Just my opinion.

I don't think we disagree. UAVs provide invaluable TST information that is well worth the inconvenience they subject some of us to...and JSTARS is rarely a factor. ;)

Brett

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
.... I know you your stuff... but I know mine. I've done a tour over there working with UAVs and I like them. JSTARS was always off link or couldn't provide the exact targeting info we needed. It's almost useless in an urban environment. Like a car model, or who in a group? UAV can do it, and has, Just my opinion.
Maybe I'm just old. Call me crazy, too. I suppose this is all UNCLASS and pretty much entry-level info (?) , but I just learned more about JSTARS capabilities than I knew before ... or needed to know ....

I.e., I wonder if the same holds true for Mohammed???

Maybe a little JSTAR/UAV....
.... is in order .... ??? :)

Skeet

Banned
I think you're missing a verb in there somewhere. ;) Don't hate what you don't understand. Even Martians names Jimmy need love. :D

Brett

Brett, You've got me all wrong. I was going to say I loved the avatar. I may not agree with his opinions, the guy is dsmart.

STLEngineer

pilot
I saw an article today that Lockheed is trying to pitch a pilotless F-35.

In my opinion, that would just be a poor man's UCAV. You've already designed the plane to revolve around a pilot (including his g limits), with added weights and less optimized aerodynamics. Take out the pilot, you'd most likely get the same performance. What would they place in the cockpit, take out the glass and put some gas there? Would a stealthy UCAV even need to be designed for 7.5-9g's (speculating on the actual value)?

I would think a UCAV designed from the ground up would have a lot better performance.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/08/15/AR2006081501288.html

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I saw an article today that Lockheed is trying to pitch a pilotless F-35.

In my opinion, that would just be a poor man's UCAV. You've already designed the plane to revolve around a pilot (including his g limits), with added weights and less optimized aerodynamics. Take out the pilot, you'd most likely get the same performance. What would they place in the cockpit, take out the glass and put some gas there? Would a stealthy UCAV even need to be designed for 7.5-9g's (speculating on the actual value)?

I would think a UCAV designed from the ground up would have a lot better performance.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/08/15/AR2006081501288.html

Seems as though the benefits of having a high G platform would only really be realized in a WVR BFM scenario - something that a UCAV would be highly unlikely to engage in.

Brett