• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Medal of Honor criteria and award inflation

Lawman

None
When I was in San Antonio last week, there were Airmen in whatever the USAF calls A-school that had more awards than me. For guys who have "gone there, done similar stuff" I tend to see far more awards on AF types. Some are probably AF "Merit Badges" but I have seen some heavy medals for EOT and such awards.

To be fair to the AF some guys do deserve it. And being that the Army is doing the majority of the exposure in combat its no surprise they are putting up the most numbers. We had a JTAC go through WOCS with me. The guy spent about 90% of his AF career with the 3rd Rangers. Come graduation day his stack went from his pocket to his F'ing shoulder and he couldnt wear all his skill badges because he just flat ran out of room.

I think a lot of the problem Ive found in my short exposure to Army culture is this attitude of one-up-manship with regards to uniforms. Its basically a dick measuring contest at parties where if you dont have the same or greater number of Rows and at least a unit commendation your expected to not talk to anyone. The right side patch maffia has made it even worse. I know a guy that spent his entire time in the Army with 5th group, and has been plenty of places but has no combat patch. Meanwhile you've got NG Fobbits who get attached to the 101st or 82nd get themselves an airborn or air assault badge and act like they are Captain F'ing America. Its retarded it really is, and its helping to breed the attitude of handing out awards like candy.

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
Wow, amazing how the Air Force has polluted that pool with their excessive nominations and awards. Look at that....square in....last place.

Yeah, but how many grunts has the Air Force had kicking down doors in OEF/ OIF?

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
Just FYI concerning End of Tour (EOT) awards in my "joint" squadron...I have sat on a few awards boards.

USN O-3 gets a NAM
USN O-4 gets a NC

USAF O-3 gets a NC
USAF O-4 gets an MSM

The level of award the USAF expects to see on their OPRs (=FITREP) is one higher than what we are used to i.e if a USAF O-3 gets a NA it is treated like a USN O-3 getting an LOA.

I attended a USAF O-4 retirement the other day and they were serving Bronze Stars as appetizers.

snake020

Contributor
AF gives MSMs out a lot more liberally than the Navy. I frequently saw Senior NCOs in the AF with MSMs, one with 4 OLCs. I still have yet to see any Chiefs at any base I've been based at with one. Hell, I saw an E-6 at Elmendorf AFB get an MSM for filling an E-7's job.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Just FYI concerning End of Tour (EOT) awards in my "joint" squadron...I have sat on a few awards boards.

USN O-3 gets a NAM
USN O-4 gets a NC

USAF O-3 gets a NC
USAF O-4 gets an MSM

The level of award the USAF expects to see on their OPRs (=FITREP) is one higher than what we are used to i.e if a USAF O-3 gets a NA it is treated like a USN O-3 getting an LOA.

I attended a USAF O-4 retirement the other day and they were serving Bronze Stars as appetizers.

What's a NC - the only thing I can think of is Navy Cross and obviously that's not what you're talking about... I know, I'm being retarded. :confused:

HackerF15E

Retired Strike Pig Driver
None
AF gives MSMs out a lot more liberally than the Navy. I frequently saw Senior NCOs in the AF with MSMs, one with 4 OLCs. I still have yet to see any Chiefs at any base I've been based at with one. Hell, I saw an E-6 at Elmendorf AFB get an MSM for filling an E-7's job.

That's true...even worse is the "PCS medal" stupidity in the USAF. Essentially any E-7 or above and O-4 or above gets awarded an MSM each time they PCS for a "job well done" on that previous assignment.

Completely asinine if you ask me.

On the SURF (which is the sheet that lists all your personnel stats) in the decorations section it actually says:

MSM Reason: PCS

HackerF15E

Retired Strike Pig Driver
None
What's a NC - the only thing I can think of is Navy Cross and obviously that's not what you're talking about... I know, I'm being retarded. :confused:

The USAF hands out AF Commendation Medals to O-3s at end of tour. Not sure what an NC is.

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
What's a NC -

Sorry....my AO came out.

NC is the two letter abreviation used for the Navy and Marine Corps Commendation Medal. You will see a NAM as NA. Two letter abbreviations are used on the OPNAV 1650 which is the Personel Award Recommendation form. Page 2 here (http://www.usa-federal-forms.com/usa-fedforms-dod-opnav/dod-opnav-1650-3-nonfillable-b.pdf) list the rest.

The USAF hands out AF Commendation Medals to O-3s at end of tour. Not sure what an NC is.

Same level but ...Navy Squadron = Navy EOT award for USAF

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
^^^ I'm with Flash. I mean, Jason Dunham got a MoH for jumping on a grenade. How is standing there, shooting at a truck-sized grenade when everyone else has run away not just as worthy?

Also, both of these brave Devil Dogs died, so the "Only Dead Heroes MoH Campaign" would continue, so it can't be that.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
...what happened with Jessica Lynch.

Which part? Her unfortunate capture or the U.S. military using her for PR during the "daring" rescue?

You guys see this story:

Pvt. Monica Brown And The Silver Star
Lara Logan Interviews A Young Woman Who Was Awarded A Silver Star For Exceptional Valor

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/11/26/60minutes/main4635035.shtml

Some feel that she received the award solely because she is a woman and that male medics perform the same heroic actions on a weekly basis and receive nothing more than a "pat on the back."

One of the comments on the story:

My son served with Spc Brown as a medic. He likes her as a person and respects her professional competence. He also feels as many of the soldiers there do, that she was awarded the Silver Star largely because of her ***. He knows of the entire incident and what awards others have received, and that is what he looks at. He knows of a paratrooper medic who spent months on a cold mountain outpost, during which in an attack he ran thru heavy mortar and machine gun fire to administer aid, was blown out of a watchtower by an rpg while rushing to aid his soldiers, had an eardrum blown out by that rpg (for which he refused to write himself up for a purple heart), and had his recommendation for a bronze star rejected as this medic was "just doing his job". Or look up the name of Hugo V Mendoza, another medic hero (kia) unknown to most of the world. It is not sour grapes from the troops, it is just that the troops know who is deserving and for what, and they don''t like to see anyone slighted for whatever reason. As a 11B retiree, I agree, the BC and Sgt Major did well to (over)recognize Spc Brown for her actions but left out other more deserving male soldiers, thus the resentment. As my son said, “It’s ***. What she did, every field medic has done over and over. It’s just ***.”