• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

MEPS and Colorblindness test; new problem for me

coreymiller1

OCC 198 hopeful
I'm sorry if some people get angry with this thread. I've searched for it and found some info, but I am in need of help. I just got back from MEPS where I failed the color vision test. I was really tired and the guy flipped through the little book so fast I barely got a chance to speak. I don't know if he knew that him failing me just ruined my career. Well from what my OSO said, I have to pass a civilian optometrist color vision test that they will put into my MEPS paperwork that says I'm not colorblind. I was told I have to do this before I am even allowed to do a flight physical in Florida. I know most optometrist use the ishihara plates, but I'm worried because I had problems with them at MEPS. From what I've read on the site, many others have had similar problems. I have called every optometrist in the book and none of them have the falant test. One thread said to look up FAA eye exam people but I couldn't find anything on it. I would appreciate any help or advice. Right now it seems like my aviation dreams just got shot down.

KevinPowers

Find an optometrist that offers the Farnsworth-Munsell 100 Hue Test. This test is basically a bunch of colored pegs that cover the spectrum of colors. If you can order them correctly you will pass.

I took/passed this test and MEPS accepted it.

Good luck!

Ps: Be pushy. MEPS isn't out to nail you, but they sure as hell aren't trying to help you either.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm sorry if some people get angry with this thread. I've searched for it and found some info, but I am in need of help. I just got back from MEPS where I failed the color vision test. I was really tired and the guy flipped through the little book so fast I barely got a chance to speak. I don't know if he knew that him failing me just ruined my career. Well from what my OSO said, I have to pass a civilian optometrist color vision test that they will put into my MEPS paperwork that says I'm not colorblind. I was told I have to do this before I am even allowed to do a flight physical in Florida. I know most optometrist use the ishihara plates, but I'm worried because I had problems with them at MEPS. From what I've read on the site, many others have had similar problems. I have called every optometrist in the book and none of them have the falant test. One thread said to look up FAA eye exam people but I couldn't find anything on it. I would appreciate any help or advice. Right now it seems like my aviation dreams just got shot down.

If you're having trouble with the Ishihara plates, perhaps your color vision isn't what you thought (hoped) it was. Find yourself a civilian optometrist and get thoroughly evaluated and discuss the results and what your options are from there, regardless of the testing methods used.

Brett

coreymiller1

OCC 198 hopeful
What I'm getting from my OSO is that I have to pass either the plates or the falant test at an optometrist to get the green light for a flight physical. Is this correct? I recently got my eyes checked before MEPS to see what my vision was, and I passed his color vision test. It was a colored dot surrounded by four other colored dots. You just had to say which dot looked most like the middle one. Is this acceptable?

KevinPowers

If you cannot pass the Ishihara test on the first go-round, you will never pass it. Believe me, I made a damn fool of myself trying. Your best bet is to pass another color perception test that MEPS will accept. In my case it was the Farnsworth-Munsell 100 Hue Test.

coreymiller1

OCC 198 hopeful
If you cannot pass the Ishihara test on the first go-round, you will never pass it. Believe me, I made a damn fool of myself trying. Your best bet is to pass another color perception test that MEPS will accept. In my case it was the Farnsworth-Munsell 100 Hue Test.

So, taking this test and passing it will allow me to then go on and take my flight physical?

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
RetreadRand said:
Dude,
you need to ask someone from here

And don't ake me their fVcking contact info...find it yourself. (hint: it is on their website)

SERIOUSLY

Shhhh, don't tell him I used to work for them.

Some tips. Drink heavily before the test...but, water only. No smoking. Or being around smokers for 24 hours prior. Wear sunglasses when outside. These things you should adhere to before flying anyway. And they will improve both your color vision and your night vision as well.

WRT which test to ask for/take, follow the link above and ask questions.

coreymiller1

OCC 198 hopeful
Is there an easier way to find a doctor that offers these tests than just looking through the yellow pages and calling them?

coreymiller1

OCC 198 hopeful
So if I can't find an optometrist with the falant, and I go and fail the plates, is that the end for me? Or is that just when the serious begging and pleading starts?

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
I remember them flipping the chart extremely fast when I went to MEPS also. The processors can be pretty impatient there.

@Retread,
Are you always angry, or only when you post on Airwarriors?? ;)

KevinPowers

Simply not true.
Believe me. I studied. It still didn't work. :D

My assumption is he's actually color blind between variable portions of the spectrum (which doesn't necessarily connote an inability to pass Farnsworth-Munsell, which is the continuous spectrum).

But I will qualify my statement: If you legitimately fail Ishihara, you will never pass it. You may get some of the spectrum combos (like violet on blue), but the spectrum combo you failed once will not suddenly appear to you at some later date.