• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

MEPS and Colorblindness test; new problem for me

KevinPowers

Then I must be a friggin genius 'cause I didn't study at all and I passed it after I failed it. I hate that color vision test with a passion.

Congrats. You're not color blind.

I, on the other hand, will never be able to read the following ("friggin genius", or otherwise):

a559.gif

llnick2001

it’s just malfeasance for malfeasance’s sake
pilot
Well dick comment or not it really is talking about him. I guess it's good he sees the humor in it...

coreymiller1

OCC 198 hopeful
Anyone ever heard of this?

Alright here's a little history. I went to MEPS awhile back and failed the colorvision test. I was sent to a civilian doctor and passed there about a month or two ago. I was under the impression that I was good to go until I went to Florida. My OSO just called me today and said that "medical" called and basically denied me, in his words. Has anyone ever heard of this happening?

Cavt

Living the dream
pilot
Don't just take their word for it, ask questions, what did they deny you for, why did it take so long, why did I pass the test then and not now, get it in writing, get the results in writing, raise the red flag. Knowing how MEPS works they may not even know you went to the civilian doctor. Call that doc yourself get a copy of your resilts and have them call meps/oso and see what the problem is. IE don't just roll over and take what they are saying as gospel. And did he say you were denied or they basically denied you? Because maybe it is just a waiver you need, but that he is above his quota for this year and doesn't really "need" you. FIGHT my man FIGHT

coreymiller1

OCC 198 hopeful
Me and Captain Cruz are fairly close so I feel that he is being entirely truthful. He sent me to the civilian doctor after MEPS and the doctor filled out the paperwork. Captain said he tried to send it in 3 times and they "denied" me for an air contract.

Cavt

Living the dream
pilot
but why did they deny you? Don't just take well they denied me, guess that is it, ask why, I mean if there is "you don't meet the base levels for such and such" and they can show you your results and what the minimums are well thats one thing, you can't argue with them in that respect, but if they are just saying, well because your denied, nope thats not good enough, get proof, think of it like you are trying to defend it in court, you need to be able to show one way or another that you don't meet the standards set out, until you have been shown actually numbers on a page, or something to that effect, don't back down. I know one guy who got anthro'd out of the flight program and fought and fought and is now back and started primary, because he didn't go "oh well, guess Im too big to fly."

millerjd

Stayin' alive
What test did you pass at the Civilian doctor? Was it FALANT or the D-15 color circles? AFAIK, they will only take the civilian version of the FALANT as proof. I'm not too sure who "they" is for Marine, in the Navy it is the OOM or OMM, I can't remember. Ask questions, make a stink, push push push.

coreymiller1

OCC 198 hopeful
For starters I'm a Marine Corps applicant. From what I was told, the Marines will only accept the falant and dots test on the civilian side, which is what they do at MEPS of course. I couldn't find a civilian doctor that used the falant so I took the dots. I got either 13/14 or 14/14 when I tested. Do you think that maybe if I got 13/14 at the civvy doctor that thats why they denied me??? I dunno Captain just called me this afternoon and dropped the bomb on me and I've been in a kind of shock since then.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
For starters I'm a Marine Corps applicant. From what I was told, the Marines will only accept the falant and dots test on the civilian side, which is what they do at MEPS of course. I couldn't find a civilian doctor that used the falant so I took the dots. I got either 13/14 or 14/14 when I tested. Do you think that maybe if I got 13/14 at the civvy doctor that thats why they denied me??? I dunno Captain just called me this afternoon and dropped the bomb on me and I've been in a kind of shock since then.

From what I remember, other posters are correct when they say NOMI will only accept the falant test. Search harder for an eye doc who gives the falant. How close are you to a Military base? Even if you can't travel their...think about how much you want this career....they may know how to contact the right doc in your area.

millerjd

Stayin' alive

If you got a 13/14 you can probably request to get retested at MEPS. I suggest finding a FALANT from a civvie. But you wont know what will work till you push for answers on why you were denied.

Cavrone

J-Hooah
pilot
Alright here's a little history. I went to MEPS awhile back and failed the colorvision test. I was sent to a civilian doctor and passed there about a month or two ago. I was under the impression that I was good to go until I went to Florida. My OSO just called me today and said that "medical" called and basically denied me, in his words. Has anyone ever heard of this happening?

If you are going through the OSO in Lubbock, try somewhere else if it is the same OSO they had a few years back. I didnt get anywhere trying to work with that office.

JZAB

Livin the MEU life
pilot
Hey CM1,
I currently work for an OSO as a PTAD Lt, We had an applicant fail the MEPS test, go to a civilian eye doc and pass the falant test or some version of the falant he passed, District cleared him for the flight physical, he went to Pensacola and was NPQed from flying because he failed the flip chart # test and other color vision tests they did not care that he passed the other color vision tests ect., they do not recognize any other tests. Remember they are looking out for your safety. Their is also a medical review board the goes over your MEPS Physical, BUMED, they can give a go at Meps and a NO GO At BUMED it happens. Officers need to meet a higher qualification than enlisted.

Basically, I’m backing up your OSO there are a lot of variables that are out of your control. Color vision is not one of the things you can’t change. If you really want to be a Marine which the guy in my example did he went OCC-R (reserve), don’t give up you can go ground. Sorry for the bad news.

millerjd

Stayin' alive
he went to Pensacola and was NPQed from flying because he failed the flip chart # test and other color vision tests they did not care that he passed the other color vision tests ect., they do not recognize any other tests. Remember they are looking out for your safety. Their is also a medical review board the goes over your MEPS Physical, BUMED, they can give a go at Meps and a NO GO At BUMED it happens. Officers need to meet a higher qualification than enlisted.

Okay, there has been a lot of 'doom and gloom' about this subject. I haven't gotten FINDOCS yets, but from the knowledge I do have at this point....

If you fail MEPS, but go to a civilian doctor and pass FALANT 100% (like myself) you probably are good to go. Is there a chance that you get the NAMI-Whammy?

Well, Duh.

But just like knowing or not knowing about any other condition you may have, you are taking a risk becoming a Naval Aviator. If you are not willing to even take the risk and try your hardest, you will never know what you could have accomplished.

I've explained this to myself and my family just in case things don't go so well at NAMI, hell, something else might come up that I don't know about.

coreymiller1

OCC 198 hopeful
new problems

Okay, here's the latest in the continuing saga that is my application process. So I failed color test at MEPS, then passed the Ishihara at a civilian doctor, then "medical denied the test". In my last tab we discussed what this meant and what I could do. I told my OSO that I didn't understand and he said that I could find a civilian doctor and pay out of my pocket to retest, and have him say that I'm not colorblind. I have multiple questions. One, can I call up MEPS and request to take it there? In the last posting many of you were saying you believed FALANT was the only acceptable test on your second try. I have called every eye doctor in the phone book and cannot find one that has it. Any suggestions? If I can't find a doctor to retest and then pass then apparently this is the end of the road for me. Hope you all can help, thanks