• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Mess Dress Blues?

Would an Ensign get ribbed for having Mess Dress Blues?

• Total voters

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
Ok, I was just wondering if, as an ensign, I would get ribbed to hell and back for having the Mess Dress Blues? Reason I ask is because the Abbots guy is going to be at the unit tomorrow and I was considering buying a set. Every time I look at my SDBs w/ the mini-medals I think it looks damn goofy, and the MDB uniform just looks a hell of a lot nicer w/ the mini-medals. Any comments would be appreciated :)

MasterBates

While it does look good, most non-academy JOs don't have them. Ditto for dinner dress whites.

Why look like a Lifetime Cranial Dissection Recipient, without the pay?

snake020

Contributor
If you have the money to burn, I don't see a problem with it. I will probably get one, but then again I'm at a different point on the pay chart than a brand new Ensign.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Yeah, the only reason I have them is because we had to buy them at USNA. That said, I think it looks at helluva lot better than SDB-bozo, so I think it's worth it.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hinge is spelled with an e. :)

Potato, Potatoe....who cares? :eek:
Dan%20Quayle.jpg

robav8r

None
Contributor
Granted, I was an LDO when commissioned to Ensign, I bought a set of both Mess Dress Blues and Whites. They're comfortable, look better and yes, chicks dig them.
;)

fc2spyguy

pilot
Contributor
RetreadRand said:
fine: or your fellow commisionees????

Well, most of them are Marines that I'm commissioning with, and I have asked the one other, but I wanted to get a broader viewpoint as well.

Note: My bad on the hinge, should proof stuff before I post it I guess :)

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
I don't see an issue with it. I wore mine as an Ensign (And didn't get made fun of). And if I hadn't out grown my jacket, I'd have worn it a couple weeks ago. I think its a pretty sharp uniform.

Pags

N/A
pilot
I've gotten a lot of use out of mine...not at command functions, but at the millions of weddings I've been to since college.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
SACK UP AND BUY IT!! For crying out loud! This "hinge dress" stuff is BS. You have a choice of that, wearing chokers with mini medals (which just looks stupid) or the ever popular Service Dress Bozo with SDBs, mini medals and a bow tie. Which looks even dumber.

helo_wifey

or the ever popular Service Dress Bozo with SDBs, mini medals and a bow tie. Which looks even dumber.

Yeah, I'm going to have to agree this looks really stupid. The husband had to wear these to an airwing function and it's not my favorite. Needless to say we both agreed to get him some mess dress after that.

fc2spyguy

pilot
Contributor
I suppose then I could also say it's not all just "Mess Dress Whites dining outs!":D

Fmr1833

Shut the F#%k up, dummy!
None
Contributor
I have both the white and the blues and have used them at several weddings and Prowler Ball. Much better looking uniform IMO. Spend the money and look your best. You won't get shit for it and you won't regret it.