• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Mess Dress Blues?

Would an Ensign get ribbed for having Mess Dress Blues?

• Total voters

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
SACK UP AND BUY IT!! For crying out loud! This "hinge dress" stuff is BS. You have a choice of that, wearing chokers with mini medals (which just looks stupid) or the ever popular Service Dress Bozo with SDBs, mini medals and a bow tie. Which looks even dumber.

+1. This happens all the time when squadron functions or whatever roll around. All the JOs get into the "I'm not spending money on a monkey suit I'll only wear once or twice" blah blah etc. Then they show up in Service Dress Bozo and go, "man, I look like a JROTC cadet".

No, it's not required. But it's better than the alternative.

phrogpilot73

If you can afford it, buy them. My personal opinion (as a Marine outsider looking in) is that there are few uniforms out there that look as GAY as Service Dress Bozo. Even some <GASP> Air Force uniforms look less Gay than that, and that's hard to do...

MasterBates

I find myself thinking in an enigma at this situation-

I particularly don't like the Mess-Dress. Really don't. Not sure why. I think I find them gaudy. Maybe its just my natural revulsion of all things hinge. I don't know. Not buying a set until I am lobotomized. So it's about 50-50 if I will ever own them. I have never had to do the SDB-Bozo though. Every event I have done has been in Choker-Minis/DDW. Even in winter (stationed in FL).

But when the Service Dress Khakis show up at the NEX, my ass will be there getting fitted for them.

I have been trying to get some Aviation Greens, but whenever I call the NEX, they are waiting on enough orders, and will call me when they get them.

Mr. Blonde

My ass is a motherfuckin' champion
pilot
Were you being tongue in cheek about the aviation greens or do people really wear them?

I googled them and have never seen them before.

MasterBates

I have seen people wearing them. Always wanted a set.

Just got off phone with NEX. They are now taking orders 3-5 month delivery time.

Jacket $368 :eek:
Trousers $66
Combo Cover $13

They were unsure what shirt goes with it. They said it is a black tie.

I have a call into Abbotts to see what they have.

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
That $368 is a deal. Can I help hit a lower price break? Here's the gouge on Abbott's.

And other posts have mentioned that you can use the USMC green gabardine trousers & garrison cap for the other components. That will save you another 35 or so.

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
We're talking about this (DDB) versus this (DDBJ). Basically a tuxedo jacket w/ tux shirt and gold cummerbund versus your regular SDB jacket.

Mr. Blonde

My ass is a motherfuckin' champion
pilot
The pic I saw looked like it would be the long sleeve khaki shirt, it looks just like the Marine's service dress uniform.

So, can you just wear the greens when the uniform of the day is SDB's? Or is it based on your command? When would wearing them be appropriate?

Pags

N/A
pilot

Just got off phone with NEX. They are now taking orders 3-5 month delivery time.

Jacket $368 :eek:
Trousers $66
Combo Cover $13

They were unsure what shirt goes with it. They said it is a black tie.

i think it's the long sleeve khaki shirt...like the wash cotton one. black tie. khaki belt and socks. I've been thinking about calling the NEX for a set, but just been plain lazy. Might forgo the jacket for a bit and just wear the leather to keep cost down.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
i think it's the long sleeve khaki shirt...like the wash cotton one. black tie. khaki belt and socks. I've been thinking about calling the NEX for a set, but just been plain lazy. Might forgo the jacket for a bit and just wear the leather to keep cost down.

That is exactly what you wear with it. I only saw one other person wearing the jacket (since it is a working uniform, no ribbons on the jacket), everyone else just wore a leather jacket with Marine pants.

I would not buy them though, unless you just get the Marine pants and a cap, they are one of the seven working uniforms that will be replaced by the cheesy gray/blue BDU's.

This just says seven uniforms: http://www.navy.mil/search/display.asp?story_id=22519

This specifies the uniforms: http://www.navy.mil/search/display.asp?story_id=17458

"If approved, the new uniforms will eventually take the place of utilities, wash khaki, coveralls, woodland green, aviation green, winter working blue and tropical uniforms."