• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Mexican Su-27 Flankers

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
They just acquired former Israeli E-2C Hawkeyes, now they're negotiating for Flankers:

Mexico’s Navy plans to buy Russian SU-27 fighter aircraft
MEXICO CITY, April 27 (Prime-Tass)
The Mexican Navy intends to buy Russian SU-27 fighter aircraft, Undersecretary of the Mexican Navy Admiral Armando Sanchez Moreno told the Mexican newspaper El Universal.

The Mexican Navy also considered bids submitted by Russia and Sweden and decided to choose Russia's SU-27 fighters, Moreno said, according to the paper.

The Mexican Navy plans to set up an air defense unit using SU-27 aircraft, Moreno said. Ivan Goncharenko, deputy general director of Russia’s government-owned military export company Rosoboronexport, confirmed Thursday talks with Mexico about the SU-27 purchase. He did not elaborate.

SU-27 fighters are produced by Russia's
Sukhoi aircraft maker.

Hmm, for next DACT exercise...invite them here or head south of the border? Or meet at Key West?

Maybe this well bring A4s out of retirement as a super wiley bogey liaison and tequila expert.

Here's another article (in Spanish) if you are so inclined:

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Hmmm. Can the Russians even afford to produce any SU-27s? Last I heard, the Indians still had some Mig-29s(?) on backorder, due to financial insolvency in Russia.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Su-27 vs MiG-29

AllAmerican75 said:
Hmmm. Can the Russians even afford to produce any SU-27s? Last I heard, the Indians still had some Mig-29s(?) on backorder, due to financial insolvency in Russia.

Su-27 is flavor of the month and Indians fly the Su-30 variant with vectored thrust. Chinese are building them under license. It's the one to worry about although shorter legged MiG-29 can be a nasty customer in good hands in a WVR fight (equipped with HMS and AA-11).

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
heyjoe said:
Su-27 is flavor of the month and Indians fly the Su-30 variant with vectored thrust. Chinese are building them under license. It's the one to worry about although shorter legged MiG-29 can be a nasty customer in good hands in a WVR fight (equipped with HMS and AA-11).

Thanks. I was curious about that. So will the Chinese soon start providing Migs, SU-27s, et al, to whoever can pay for them? Because I would think that has some pretty serious implications.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
AllAmerican75 said:
Thanks. I was curious about that. So will the Chinese soon start providing Migs, SU-27s, et al, to whoever can pay for them? Because I would think that has some pretty serious implications.

I think they are licensed only for their own consumption and they are trying to upgrade their capability in that regard. They have exported plenty of earlier fighters and have a few designs of their own fielded or in development.

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
AllAmerican75 said:

Even if the Su-30MKK (the Chinese variant) is only lisenced for internal production (not sure bout that), and if they hold to that agreement (hardly a given), the Chinese are developing some pretty nasty stuff of their own...

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/china/j-10.htm
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/china/pl-12.htm

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
heyjoe said:
They just acquired former Israeli E-2C Hawkeyes, now they're negotiating for Flankers:

Mexico’s Navy plans to buy Russian SU-27 fighter aircraft
MEXICO CITY, April 27 (Prime-Tass)
The Mexican Navy intends to buy Russian SU-27 fighter aircraft, Undersecretary of the Mexican Navy Admiral Armando Sanchez Moreno told the Mexican newspaper El Universal.
:

Interesting mods on these, though--really, really low landing gear, with independent hydraulic lifts on each mainmount.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
TuxFlier said:
Shouldn't they be spending their Pesos on other things???
Yeah, I hear the burros in TJ and Mexicali are nearing the end of their expected fatigue lives. Time to invest in a new generation.

Brett

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
TuxFlier said:
Shouldn't they be spending their Pesos on other things???
Well I guess now that they are legalizing cocaina, and heroin, the "World is Theirs"

zab1001 said:
"Mexican Flanker" is now on the list with the Rusty Trombone and Dirty Sanchez.
He's on my six! I CANT SHAKE HIM!

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
The Mexican E-2 pilots used the C-2 sim in San Diego not to long ago as part of their training. The man in charge of training them was an old VRC-40 Skipper as well as a former E-2 pilot. When asked about their performance as pilots, he smiled and lowered his head....shaking. I think it's an aircraft that simply takes some time to learn. Now with Flankers? Maybe easier to fly but to deploy as a weapon, that will certainly be a tough one.

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
The E-2s are Group 0's. Supposedly new(er) back ends, but they're gonna be some tired airframes regardless.