• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Mexican Su-27 Flankers

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
VetteMuscle427 said:
I have read that book many times... and I find it hard to believe that the Mexicans would spend ALL that money on SU-27s to knock a small unarmed drug runner out of the sky....

They have F-5s... those would be more than enough to do the job. So would any of their H-60s armed with crew served weapons...

Not that I think they would even have the cajones to actually engage a drug runner...

Why the hell would the Venezulans buy F-16's in the early 80's, or Brazil have an aircraft carrier, or......well, the list goes on. A lot of it has to do with prestige and a bit of machismo. Look around the world and you will find that in many places. One of the better examples lately is Hugo Chavez.

Plus, I would bet that they are not going to get new Flankers. Russia, Belarus and Ukraine all have plenty of surplus Flankers that they could "refurbish" and sell them. Another thing to keep in mind is that in many countries military procument decisions are not always made on the advice of people who are the most knowledgable. One of the best examples is India. Its Air Force had been screaming for 20 years that they needed a modern jet trainer but the government just signed the contract in the past two years, and they still don't have the planes, BAE Hawks. Their fighter jet crash rate is an example of why they need a jet trainer.

Finally, some of the better aircraft to go after drug runners is something along the lines of a turbo-prop trainer like the T-6A Texan II, the Greeks bought the armed version, or the Brazilian Embraer EMB-312 Super-Tucano
http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/images/AIR_AT-27_Super_Tucano_lg.jpg (The Brazilian AF uses it as a drug interdiction aircraft). Slow enough to intercept a bug smasher but fast enough to run down everything else but a jet.

Super Hornet 88

Hmmm... Mexico seems to have a bunch of money on their hands. And having the Flankers be part of the Navy? It doesn't make any sense, heck they don't even have an aircraft carrier to begin with!

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Super Hornet 88 said:
Hmmm... Mexico seems to have a bunch of money on their hands. And having the Flankers be part of the Navy? It doesn't make any sense, heck they don't even have an aircraft carrier to begin with!
Why do they need a carrier to operate their Flankers?

Brett

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm quickly beginning to think we need an age/experience filter for each thread. Ah to dream...

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
zab1001 said:
I'm quickly beginning to think we need an age/experience filter for each thread. Ah to dream...
Yea, it's called a subscription.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
zab1001 said:
I'm honestly not sure what you mean...
If John made people subscribe to this forum (except winged aviators and me of course :D ), then that might dissuade some folks from going through the trouble of posting the crazy stuff that many of us raise an eyebrow too and say WTF?

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Gotcha. Now back to "random musings on the Mexican armed forces".

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
yeah....I can attest to it....vacation a few years ago....bad things...we'll leave it at that

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Steve Wilkins said:
If John made people subscribe to this forum (except winged aviators and me of course :D ), then that might dissuade some folks from going through the trouble of posting the crazy stuff that many of us raise an eyebrow too and say WTF?

*cough* Use the Private Forum more *cough*

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Steve Wilkins said:
Mexico has an armed force? When did this happen?

There are a couple of them around, I saw two of them walking along the beach in Cancun with M-16's........:confused:

sh89

zab1001 said:

If you're referring to my post, just know that I was only kidding. :icon_wink

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Mexico has selected the Sukhoi Su-27 Flanker for its strategic surveillance role. The Mexican Navy selected the Su-27 over the Saab/BAE Systems Gripen and the Flanker will equip its first air defence unit.

Admiral Armando Sánchez Moreno, head of the Mexican Navy says 10 of the Flankers will be used to conduct strategic surveillance of key areas of Mexico’s coastline.

Discussions with Russia began in early 2005, and the Navy is presently negotiating with Russia’s Rosboronexport agency for the purchase of eight single-seat Su-27s and two Su-27UB two-seat trainers. The entire deal is purported to be approx $410 million including spare parts, tools and personnel training.