• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Military Aviation and Reading Glasses

Can someone please tell me if pilots are allowed to fly once they require reading glasses? Even the pilots who have 20/15 or 20/10 vision will eventually need reading glasses once they are over 40. How then do such pilots fly? Do they take such glasses with them in flight? Do fighter pilots stop flying after 40 once they need such glasses?

Thanks.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Can someone please tell me if pilots are allowed to fly once they require reading glasses? Even the pilots who have 20/15 or 20/10 vision will eventually need reading glasses once they are over 40. How then do such pilots fly? Do they take such glasses with them in flight? Do fighter pilots stop flying after 40 once they need such glasses?

Thanks.
Once you are winged, the uncorrected 20/40 vision requirement for pilots changes. As a SNA (Class I, no Service Group), the vision requirements are 20/40. Once winged, Class I (Pilots) are further classified as Service Group 1-3. These service groups are defined:

Class I: Naval Aviators and Student Naval Aviators (SNA). Designated Naval aviators are subdivided into three Medical Service Groups based upon the physical requirements of their specific flight duty assignment

Medical Service Group 1: Aviators qualified for unlimited or unrestricted flight duties
Medical Service Group 2: Aviators restricted from shipboard aircrew duties (include V/STOL) except helicopter.
Medical Service Group 3: Aviators restricted to operating aircraft equipped with dual controls and accompanied on all flights by a pilot or copilot of Medical Service Group 1 or 2, qualified in the model of aircraft operated. A waiver to medical Service Group 3 includes pilot-in-command (PIC) authority unless PIC authority is specifically restricted.

The eyesight requirements come from section 12.3 of the NAMI Aeromedical Waiver Guide:

12.3 DECREASED VISUAL ACUITY
Last Revised: APR 15 Last Reviewed: APR 15

AEROMEDICAL CONCERNS: Decreased visual acuity degrades lookout and target acquisition.

WAIVER: A waiver for visual acuity less than standards may be considered in designated individuals, provided the central and peripheral retina is normal and all other visual standards are met.
eyesight.JPG

Since we are talking standards, SNA Standards are:

All applicants for pilot training must meet Class I standards except as follows:

Visual Acuity, Distant and Near:
Uncorrected visual acuity must not be less than 20/40 each eye, correctable to 20/20 each eye using a Sloan letter, crowded, eye chart (Goodlite). Vision testing procedures shall comply with those outlined on the Aerospace Reference and Waiver Guide Physical Exams section.

Refractive Limits: If uncorrected distant visual acuity is less than 20/20 either eye, a manifest refraction must be recorded for the correction required to attain 20/20. If the candidate’s distant visual acuity is 20/20, a manifest refraction is not required. Total myopia may not be greater than -1.50 diopters in any meridian, total hyperopia no greater than +3.00 diopters in any meridian, or astigmatism no greater than -1.00 diopters. The astigmatic correction shall be reported in minus cylinder format.

Cycloplegic Refraction: This is required for all candidates to determine the degree of spherical ametropia. The refraction should be performed to maximum plus correction to obtain best visual acuity. Due to the effect of lens aberrations with pupil dilation, visual acuity or astigmatic correction, which might disqualify the candidate, should be disregarded if the candidate meets the standards for visual acuity and astigmatism with manifest refraction. A cycloplegic refraction should be performed at least 30 minutes after instillation of 2gtts (5 minutes apart) 1% cyclopentolate.

Last edited:

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Glasses are authorized, along with contacts and various eye-surgeries. On Day One of flight school, I was issued glasses. The days of everyone having to be 20/20 were long ago, and even then, that was only for applicants. Once in, folks would wear glasses back then, as well.

ETA: Ninja'ed.

Thanks...lots of info.

Basically, I wanted to know what happens to a fighter pilot once he/she is over 40 and needs reading glasses. I could see it not being so much of an issue on a transport plane, but in an F-18? Is the pilot really going to place his/her reading glasses on while wearing a helmet and going close to mach2?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Yes.

I've never been Mach 2. I have been Mach 1+. It was anticlimactic...other than being able to say you went Mach 1+.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thanks...lots of info.

Basically, I wanted to know what happens to a fighter pilot once he/she is over 40 and needs reading glasses. I could see it not being so much of an issue on a transport plane, but in an F-18? Is the pilot really going to place his/her reading glasses on while wearing a helmet and going close to mach2?
The chances of you actually still flying in the cockpit of a Super Hornet (or Joint Strike Fighter) over 40 are greatly diminished after multiple selection and screening boards throughout your career. I would first concern yourself with earning a commission and earning your wings. The rest will come...

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
But it's an interesting question none the less - I dont believe the NAMI standards address near vision acuity - I still have 20/20 vision at age 51. But my Airman Medical Certificate requires that I have reading glasses with me anytime I operate as PIC. I cannot read the text of a display or chart product inside about 18 inches. HUD's are focused to infinity correct?

But surely there are over-40 aviators flying. They would absolutely need reading glasses in most cases.

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
Husband is not a jet pilot, but as a dirty rotary wing guy (who is over 40), he is still flying and he does have a prescription for reading glasses, which he got about 3 years ago. He only needs them for up close (about arms length and closer, as far as I can tell), and I have no idea if he wears or carries them in the cockpit.

Just chiming in to add a data point.

ChuckMK23

pilot
The slim, open top reading glasses are best for flying - 1.5 to 3 X magnification. No prescription needed nor required.

Thank you. I realize my question is hypothetical for most of us. But, since this an open forum, I thought I could broach such topics for at least no other reason than the intrigue.

That being said, if it's rare that pilots over 40 fly the Hornet or other such jets, then who are the squadron XO and COs? Aren't they 40, over 4o, or close to 40? What about the CAG and DCAG? They must certainly be over 40. Don't they still fly? Or, are they pretty much just managing younger aviators at that point in their careers?

And, if they are still flying, once again how the heck do they see the controls on the dashboard?

Thanks for any useful information y'all can provide me.

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
<-- 52 and use reading glasses only at night for checklist...sometimes. I'm 20/20 at a distance, but have a light prescription on my bifocals to get me 20/15 at a distance and 20/20 so I can read in close. It takes a lot of tweaking to get a pair of readers or bifocals to work right with NVGs. Mostly I had to mess with the nose/bridge adjustment to allow them to droop down my nose enough to get the near vision lens under the goggles while not having the top edge of the glasses in the goggle eyepiece.

Most of the time I just carry them with me and throw them on as I am shutting down after a long night.

ChuckMK23

pilot
<-- 52 and use reading glasses only at night for checklist...sometimes. I'm 20/20 at a distance, but have a light prescription on my bifocals to get me 20/15 at a distance and 20/20 so I can read in close. It takes a lot of tweaking to get a pair of readers or bifocals to work right with NVGs. Mostly I had to mess with the nose/bridge adjustment to allow them to droop down my nose enough to get the near vision lens under the goggles while not having the top edge of the glasses in the goggle eyepiece.

Most of the time I just carry them with me and throw them on as I am shutting down after a long night.

You can change the diopter setting on the goggles correct? So you can correct and optimize for near vision acquity if you desire.

(Never flew with NVG's since the backwards ass senior leaders in the Helo community in the 80 and 90's didn't "believe" in them - fucktards. )