• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Military Aviation and Reading Glasses

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
You could theoretically do that, but you really need distance vision in the goggles. You shouldn't read a checklist or even read the instrument panel through the goggles anyway. So I set my bifocal lenses just under the goggle eyepieces. It works well looking down, but not so much looking up at the overhead panel.

Cooperd0g

pilot
XOs, COs, and CAGs are around 40+. Compared to the number of LTs they are few and far between and it is not easy to get those positions. Having said that, I agree that there is nothing wrong with asking out of curiosity. I still ask questions all the time. Most people don't need reading glasses until they are closer to 50. LASIK and PRK can accelerate that timeline a bit.

As for NVGs, Rob is right. They are total shit for up close so you look underneath them for anything. It is awkward at first, but you figure it out after a while.

XOs, COs, and CAGs are around 40+. Compared to the number of LTs they are few and far between and it is not easy to get those positions. Having said that, I agree that there is nothing wrong with asking out of curiosity. I still ask questions all the time. Most people don't need reading glasses until they are closer to 50. LASIK and PRK can accelerate that timeline a bit.

As for NVGs, Rob is right. They are total shit for up close so you look underneath them for anything. It is awkward at first, but you figure it out after a while.

Thanks. I realize most do not make it to DCAG/CAG or even CO of a squadron. However, I wonder how the ride is for the few that make it that far. After a certain age, 20/20 vision or not, the eyes just can't adjust from looking at the horizon to suddenly looking down at the control panel. I figure in a commercial airliner, it's not such a big deal. But, in a fighter jet, especially in a combat situation, I would imagine every second could mean the difference between life and death.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thanks. I realize most do not make it to DCAG/CAG or even CO of a squadron. However, I wonder how the ride is for the few that make it that far. After a certain age, 20/20 vision or not, the eyes just can't adjust from looking at the horizon to suddenly looking down at the control panel. I figure in a commercial airliner, it's not such a big deal. But, in a fighter jet, especially in a combat situation, I would imagine every second could mean the difference between life and death.
I don't think it's that big of a deal....That's why the instruments & HUD are an arms length away. Outside of most effects of presbyopia and utilizing your far vision vice your near vision.

I don't think it's that big of a deal....That's why the instruments & HUD are an arms length away. Outside of most effects of presbyopia and utilizing your far vision vice your near vision.
I assume you're correct, especially if the pilot is familiar with the cockpit and controls. It's not as if he/she is up there reading the morning paper.

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
Funny pic...is that an ad for DD? It appears he has room to take those glasses on and off. I am curious what would be the situation if he was in a tight growler or hornet cockpit with a helmet.

Thanks.
Not an ad for DD...just me doing the DD in the MD-88. You are correct...plenty of room to take the glasses on and off. Regarding the situation in a Growler or Hornet with a helmet...I have no idea since I was a rotorhead when I was on AD.

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
mad dog is DD. DD is mad dog. Where there is one, there shall be the other. It is written.
And here endeth the lesson.

Thanks be to the almighty DD.

Amen.

:D

Boston Logan circa 2008...
image.jpeg

Last edited:

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I know plenty of guys who wore glasses ("cheaters") around the boat during their first tour. God and Paddles know I should have done the same, but I suffered through it without for some reason and took my fairs like a man :) Seriously though, like was mentioned CO/XO and CAG/DCAG are mostly all 40 or older. I've known 2 Admirals now who flew plenty, and contrary to legend, did it in single seat jets both ashore and at sea. Both those guys had to have been 50 at a minimum.

I know plenty of guys who wore glasses ("cheaters") around the boat during their first tour. God and Paddles know I should have done the same, but I suffered through it without for some reason and took my fairs like a man :) Seriously though, like was mentioned CO/XO and CAG/DCAG are mostly all 40 or older. I've known 2 Admirals now who flew plenty, and contrary to legend, did it in single seat jets both ashore and at sea. Both those guys had to have been 50 at a minimum.
These admirals flew as admirals? I thought once you hit flag rank, the flying days were over. May I ask in what capacity they flew?

Perhaps not everyone over 40 needs reading glasses. I simply assumed most did. I imagined it would not be an issue for a sub or surface CO, but an aviator?

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
Holy smokes, kid. Maybe it's an issue, maybe it isnt! Are you a reading glasses manufacturer trying to market to the aviation community?

Admirals get to fly because they either own the planes or they own the runway or ship the planes land on. Also because they write your boss a nice letter later thanking you for the flight.

But seriously - I'm 33, and I use reading glasses all day at work. I don't need them, but the $20 CVS +1.25s just keep me from getting a headache while I fly my desk. If I was doing the pilot thing, I'd leave 'em at home. If I needed them to fly in a helo, I'd have them on w/ some croakies, maybe w/ a velcro breakaway thing if I wanted to get fancy. If I needed them to fly in a jet, I'd figure something jet-like out.

Whether or not it's prohibited is here or here. I challenge you to come away from those documents still uninformed.

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
Definitely not prohibited in Army Aviation. Just got issued 4 pairs of sexy looking glasses from the gub'ment.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
These admirals flew as admirals? I thought once you hit flag rank, the flying days were over. May I ask in what capacity they flew?

Perhaps not everyone over 40 needs reading glasses. I simply assumed most did. I imagined it would not be an issue for a sub or surface CO, but an aviator?

Yes, as in they manned up and started a single seat jet with ADM stars on the shoulders of their flight suits. Afloat, mainly tanker duty……I doubt many Admirals can spare 12 hours out of their day to fly a combat mission over the beach. Ashore (different Admiral), mostly red air as a wingman. Again, the ADM doesn't really have the spare time to mission plan/brief a flight/lead/debrief. I'd say a lot of senior guys no longer fly, but it just depends on the job they are in. There are flying O-7+ jobs, though the flying part is more of a secondary benefit than the actual job description.

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
...If I needed them to fly in a helo, I'd have them on w/ some croakies...
Yeppers...Croakies...they're like sore dicks...you can't beat'em. :D

When my over-the-counter CLIC cheater's aft headband busted, I used my Croakies (from circa 1989) to save the day...works great lasts long time! :D

image.jpeg

image.jpeg