• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Military Training Routes

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Nope. No FMS in the E-2. We can put points into the INS system, but if they tell you "cleared direct RYNOL" or such, unless you have pre-programmed it, you have to define it to the system.

Some planes have a COTS Garmin GNS-530, maybe about half of the planes at the RAG. Can't speak to fleet squadrons, but I think it's similar.

I just threw the HSI comment in there because I thought it was odd that we only have a T-34 style CDI in there. The "Glass Cockpit" upgrades the CODs are getting now is NICE, and I look forward to the far future when the E-2Cs get the retrofit.

I guess we're spoiled. From what I know of the Rhino system, if you don't have it programmed into your mission card, it's all L/L based, so we may be the only TACAIR nav system with simple direct capes. Our EGI "bricks" can hold almost all of the DAFIF information for CONUS, so you can just type in any three, four or five letter identifier and be on your way, to include any locally generated points such as "1355B" for VR points, etc. Certainly makes it easier when center throws a STAR at you.

Brett

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
so we may be the only TACAIR nav system with simple direct capes

A bit off topic, but a Rhino pilot told me the other night that Prowlers weren't "TACAIR".....I had never heard this before. True? False? VAQ-hate perhaps?

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A bit off topic, but a Rhino pilot told me the other night that Prowlers weren't "TACAIR".....I had never heard this before. True? False? VAQ-hate perhaps?
Pointy-nosed wanking.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor

It's false and ignorant - probably why the guy is stuck in a TRACOM job (and you can tell him I said so). I would even include E-2s in TACAIR, although some may argue that point.

Brett

Kickflip89

Below Ladder
None
Contributor

I've heard this a few times. I figure I don't know what "TACAIR" really is anyway, but I don't think the VAQ dudes like this attitude very much.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've heard this a few times. I figure I don't know what "TACAIR" really is anyway, but I don't think the VAQ dudes like this attitude very much.

It's not a matter of attitude. TACAIR is a tactical aircraft, as opposed to a strategic one like a tanker, or EP-3, or RC-135. As far as the Navy is concerned, TACAIR is any aircraft that participates directly in A/A or strike warfare, especially carrier based (my definition). The EA-6B is a tactical jamming platform, for crying out loud. If someone thinks that TACAIR is just another term for strike fighter, then they fail strike warfare 101 and need to revert back to a level I and report for remedial training.

Brett

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
By your definition Brett, any Hellfire equipped helo can be considered TACAIR.

But you're not going to have helos participate in a traditional strike. THis isn't some kind of dick measuring contest about who gets to sport the mighty moniker of "TACAIR." It's about using the proper standardized nomenclature.

Brett