• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Missing the old “Early Bird” . . . . What’s a good news source these days?

robav8r

None
Contributor
What is your “go-to” news app, web link, etc. I realize there is a LOT of tailored, manipulated news sites on the interwebs, but where do you go for “just the facts ma’am, just the facts.”

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
What is your “go-to” news app, web link, etc. I realize there is a LOT of tailored, manipulated news sites on the interwebs, but where do you go for “just the facts ma’am, just the facts.”
I think that's a difficult question to answer, bc the days of getting your news from the 30 min nightly news has long been over, local newspaper reporting is almost dead from an economic standpoint.

I think @Waveoff gives good suggestions. I also follow folks on X who are considered "experts" in their field to see what they're saying and what their opinions are. I may agree or not, but it gives me a starting point.

I don't rely on TikTok however. 😁

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Ground News has worked pretty well for me. Started by a former NASA engineer, FWIW. Doesn’t boil it down to “just the facts”, but does give good summations and shows the biases in the reporting from various sources pretty clearly.

Only real downside is subscription, but it’s less than the NYT or WaPo, and makes you realize how crazy your Apple Newsfeed and social media have become.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you’re looking for an early bird like product, the CHINFO Clips is a good DoN centric daily aggregation. I get it on the SecNav site.

Waveoff

Per Diem Mafia
None
Military news: The Warzone
Other general news aggregator: google news; doesn’t host any news itself and if there’s a topic you find interesting you can click “view coverage” and see other reporting agencies covering the same topic for different viewpoints.

JoeBob1788

Roca News has a daily letter, app, and Instagram. Highly recommend as a non-biased as possible news compilation, founded as an alternative to the left/right bias news sources.

BBC, politico.eu, npr.

I like the idea of ground news but have been too lazy/cheap to really explore.

I sometimes go to RT.com for a laugh, or to see what “the enemy” is up to. I hate giving them any clicks at all, but I feel like they’re good at cherry picking one fact out of fifty that don’t support my world view and running with it. Again, F*** VV Putin and F*** me for giving that site my time, but I think it’s good to challenge my worldview sometimes. Hindustan times (?) seems to be another “see the BS others believe” site.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Believe it or not, the Christian Science Monitor is one of the best weekly (online) papers out there. No, I subscribe to their faith, but it is not a religious-themed paper and does not evangelize. I would rank it as the best for specific Middle East news coverage and among the top three for other global coverage. Beyond that the other suggestions are solid although I have been disappointed by NPR lately.

Notanaviator

Contributor
For aggregators, both realclearpolitics.com and realcleardefense.com put out a pretty good roundup- on the politics front, there’s also aggregation of polling across national races, and a good cross section of left/right and deep dive/wonky and shallow click bait. Also, honestly, Drudge Report is still a good aggregator, with a conservative bias, although Drudge clearly is no fan of Trump’s.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
For aggregators, both realclearpolitics.com and realcleardefense.com put out a pretty good roundup- on the politics front, there’s also aggregation of polling across national races, and a good cross section of left/right and deep dive/wonky and shallow click bait. Also, honestly, Drudge Report is still a good aggregator, with a conservative bias, although Drudge clearly is no fan of Trump’s.
I still poke around on RCD sometimes, but my main gripe about them is they are sometimes kind of careless in what they aggregate. Sometimes they link to stuff that is total crap, state media nonsense from Rus or other such countries laundered through “western” sites, or just plain wrong. By aggregating that stuff alongside reputable outlets they lend credence to it. Questionable QC, I guess.

hdr777

pilot
If you’re looking for an early bird like product, the CHINFO Clips is a good DoN centric daily aggregation. I get it on the SecNav site.

Is that the one that gets emailed? I tried to find how to sign up but couldn't find it anywhere