• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Missing the old “Early Bird” . . . . What’s a good news source these days?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Is that the one that gets emailed? I tried to find how to sign up but couldn't find it anywhere
Don't know if there's a email distro for it. I just go to the website. There's a link on the SecNav's home page on the lower right.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
although I have been disappointed by NPR lately.

This. Still listen in the morning, but not for the length of time I used to. As a production nerd with a Journalism degree, it's been an interesting (and sad) thing to study over the last few years.

Mos

None
For news, I cycle between BBC, AP, Drudge, CNN, and my local news sites. I listen to NPR during my commute as well, but seems like I cringe every minute, as it's like listening to teenagers do news radio.

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
I have elderly relatives that just stew their brains on FoxNews. Whenever the network brings on one of the 'libruhl' heels, they click over to OANN or such. They then stew their brains on FB posts from their friends about how Dr. Fauci is the devil incarnate.

It's tough to watch.

FLGUY

“Technique only”
pilot
Contributor
I have elderly relatives that just stew their brains on FoxNews. Whenever the network brings on one of the 'libruhl' heels, they click over to OANN or such. They then stew their brains on FB posts from their friends about how Dr. Fauci is the devil incarnate.

It's tough to watch.
Partisan news is a big issue, so I propose a game! Both parties sacrifice a horrible news source at the altar at the same time. Round 1: Fox and CNN. Round 2: Breitbart and the Young Turks.

Let’s keep going until we make politics boring again 😁

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
Partisan news is a big issue, so I propose a game! Both parties sacrifice a horrible news source at the altar at the same time. Round 1: Fox and CNN. Round 2: Breitbart and the Young Turks.

Round 3: Al Sharpton for Ben Shapiro and a player to be named later (Dan Bongino) 😆

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I use Google News for a quick overview of what is going on regularly before diving in deeper with my preferred sites, I stay logged out of Google and it doesn't filter things based on what it thinks my preferences are. Where I rarely visit is the cable news network websites, I find all of them poorly laid out, too busy and they often have insignificant stories for their headlines.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator

Fox is not analagous to CNN. MSNBC, maybe. There's bias, then there's craven partisanship. Only one of them was successfully sued for nearly $1B for lying to the public on a major issue.

FLGUY

“Technique only”
pilot
Contributor
Fox is not analagous to CNN. MSNBC, maybe. There's bias, then there's craven partisanship. Only one of them was successfully sued for nearly $1B for lying to the public on a major issue.
I would say that it is analogous. Of course two different outlets are never going to be -exactly- the same, but to argue that Fox is inherently a worse news source reeks of partisanship to me. One 750+ million data point is nothing to be dismissed, and is the largest I’ve heard of in recent history, but that is still one data point. Also, (without going on a tangent) a quick google search would reveal that CNN is currently being charged with multiple defamation suits to the tune of hundreds of millions of dollars and chose to settle a 250+ million defamation suit for an undisclosed amount. Let’s not pretend that CNN isn’t guilty of spreading serious misinformation.

I would buy that CNN is a more polished news source, and Fox is more rough around the edges. CNN definitely tries to brand themselves as impartial, and Fox makes no bones about being conservative, but to infer that CNN is inherently less partisan or more truthful? That doesn’t pass the sniff test for me. They are both essentially the go-to news source for their respective camp, and sensationalize appropriately to their viewing demographic.

At the end of the day, the tribalistic aspects of human nature rears its ugly head in most outlets these days. Conservatives and Liberals are both equally human and equally flawed. I hope most would agree with that assessment.

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
I would say that it is analogous. Of course two different outlets are never going to be -exactly- the same, but to argue that Fox is inherently a worse news source reeks of partisanship to me. One 750+ million data point is nothing to be dismissed, and is the largest I’ve heard of in recent history, but that is still one data point. Also, (without going on a tangent) a quick google search would reveal that CNN is currently being charged with multiple defamation suits to the tune of hundreds of millions of dollars and chose to settle a 250+ million defamation suit for an undisclosed amount. Let’s not pretend that CNN isn’t guilty of spreading serious misinformation.

I would buy that CNN is a more polished news source, and Fox is more rough around the edges. CNN definitely tries to brand themselves as impartial, and Fox makes no bones about being conservative, but to infer that CNN is inherently less partisan or more truthful? That doesn’t pass the sniff test for me. They are both essentially the go-to news source for their respective camp, and sensationalize appropriately to their viewing demographic.

At the end of the day, the tribalistic aspects of human nature rears its ugly head in most outlets these days. Conservatives and Liberals are both equally human and equally flawed. I hope most would agree with that assessment.
I'd respectfully disagree. As a news organization, CNN does a much better job of covering international events, bc they have far more reach. FoxNews really doesn't have that reach, and focuses more on Infotainment types of programming. Gutfeld featuring former pro wrestler Tyrus in prime time? CNN's prime time hosts are more objective than Fox's IMO. Not saying I agree with them, but it seems a lot more 'fair and balanced'.

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
Also, they send journalists like this to cover the annual southern border caravan horde story...nice kid's backpack Lawrence. 😆

vest_list (1).jpg

Compare that to some of CNN's Clarissa Ward's international reporting. Fox has no analog.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot

While I don't disagree with your sentiments, I think a lefter news outlet could also have been successfully sued for $1B if the spotlight had been cast differently back then (*cough*COVID "reporting"*cough)

taxi1

pilot
One 750+ million data point is nothing to be dismissed
There’s another one trundling through the courts right now. A $2.7B claim from Smartmatic. Fox will no doubt try to settle that one out of court for a Billion or so.

I wish they would come to court. We The People need to hear the evidence.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Whatever the quality of their reporting I just don't like their websites as they are too busy, poorly laid out, have too many ads and often start videos when I don't want them too. I guess the Boomer in me prefers just reading straight news. Fox's website is often a special kind of stupid that often seems to have content with little actual 'news' value.

While I don't disagree with your sentiments, I think a lefter news outlet could also have been successfully sued for $1B if the spotlight had been cast differently back then (*cough*COVID "reporting"*cough)

Eh...BIG difference between biased reporting and defamation, and I think you would be hard pressed to find an 'injured party' (in the legal sense) that could sue for that kind of reporting. If there was it would have happened by now, there are organizations that specialize in that sort of thing nowadays and would be salivating at the chance to sue if there was a case.

Last edited: