• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Myth : The days of dog fighting is over

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
f35-gun-pod.jpg

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
I'm with turnandburn on this one. FACs do call for the guns a lot. Even a 500 pounder has a pretty obscene kill radius when you're talking about MOUT. In OIF I we were trying to give whole divisions of F/W to the FACs, but they would just switch them back to us. Couldn't keep'em in the stack for no reason so we'd push them deep. The whole time, the facs were screaming their asses off for skids. It's so fucking frustrating telling guys in contact 2000m away that "they weren't the main effort" so we couldn't get helicopters to them. I had a problem with that for a long damn time...one of those things for when Im the ACE commander or hell, even the fragger.

Did I just go off on a mad friggin' threadjack?? Oh well, Im not erasing it.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
No kidding. That's what, 2 or 3 seconds worth? You might as well put a little flag on there that sticks out and says "bang".

Let one Harrier from one section burp at your house and car with HE rounds and see if you start having a bad day or not.

Hursel110

None
Oh, I know full well what 2 or 3 seconds could do, but I sure as heck would want to be bringing a little more than that to the fight.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Oh, I know full well what 2 or 3 seconds could do, but I sure as heck would want to be bringing a little more than that to the fight.
Any more bullets and there wouldnt be enough gas to come play, you rarely get more than 1 maybe 2 passes from a Harrier anyway-they have enough gun. I hope the JSF can do a little more off a boat without tankers but who kows maybe the Osprey can do tanker duty.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
EOTS should negate the need for an external pod, itbasically is an internal sniper pod:
http://www.technologynewsdaily.com/node/7125

Say what? You're confusing the gun with a FLIR "pod". Sniper competed for Navy ATFLIR contract (run by Boeing) for F/A-18 and lost. LMCO kept it alive, got an international sales effort underway and then got USAF interested in it as a LANTIRN replacement. The JSF "internal" arrangement takes the SNIPER components out of the pod and integrates them into the F-35 internally. No way it takes the place of the gun as suggested. It is a targeting device, not a kinetic weapon.