• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Myth : The days of dog fighting is over

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
Say what? You're confusing the gun with a FLIR "pod". Sniper competed for Navy ATFLIR contract (run by Boeing) for F/A-18 and lost. LMCO kept it alive, got an international sales effort underway and then got USAF interested in it as a LANTIRN replacement. The JSF "internal" arrangement takes the SNIPER components out of the pod and integrates them into the F-35 internally. No way it takes the place of the gun as suggested. It is a targeting device, not a kinetic weapon.

I was saying no need for an external sniper/flir pod as it has a pretty good internal one...

the real question is how long will it be before someone designs a new lightning/sniper/etc... pod that will fit on that station and the F-35b and c variants start flying missions without a gun?

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
Say what? You're confusing the gun with a FLIR "pod". Sniper competed for Navy ATFLIR contract (run by Boeing) for F/A-18 and lost

My understanding was that in large part this had to do with the fact that Sniper XR was incompatible with carrier launches... ATFLIR still has a lot left to be desired from what we were promised...

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's in the works, for sure... at least AIM-9X is within the next year or two. JHMCS is still unfunded for the Raptor (I've heard projections it won't be seen until they can evaluate the JSF-type helmet for it)

I was in the Joint Tactical Air-to-Air Missile Office (JTAAMO) USN/USAF FO/GO oversight council meeting in 1993 as the Navy lead action officer and go to hear the Air Force take a pass on opportunity to integrate AIM-9X and JHMCS on the F-22 from the start. It was interesting to watch them protect F-22 at all costs and then even try to constrain AIM-9X/JHMCS for the F-15 (F-15C was USAF lead platform). They foresaw challenges to the projected F-22 buy and did not want to improve the warfighting capability of the F-15 so that it did not need to be replaced.

Even more interesting was the USAF Studies and Analysis brief on force on force encounters between all USAF and USN projected AIM-9X/JHMCS aircraft and the Su-27. No matter what happened, after looking at tens of thousands of runs starting in BVR conditions in OCA and DCA scenarios, there were always merges no matter what BVR weapon(s) were used even by the then still very close hold cosmic F-22. In fact, loss of even a few F-22s made the Cost and Operational Effectiveness Analysis (COEA) very interesting in a not so good way for the F-22 due to its high unit cost.

The Air Force took a position that there would be no merges because improved AMRAAM was so lethal and then claimed that they didn't think the F-22 needed any type of AIM-9 at all and had already gone from a loadout of 4 internal AIM-9 to two AIM-9M as a result. Ultimately, AIM-9X and JHMCS were moving too fast (in RDT&E time sense) for F-22 to incorporate either for the first production lots (similar to Typhoon not having a "helmet" trageting system until later tranches). F-22 was already behind schedule and over budget and didn't want adding anything that would make that worse at the time so AIM-9X and JHMCS were deferred.

F-35 started its development as JAST in spring 1994 (I was at that meeting as well) and that program had sipped the F-22 Kool-aid (first JSF PEO came from USAF ACC DR and had participated in all of the JTAAMO FO/GO meetings). Interestingly, JSF was all over the "helmet", but competitors wanted to do it themselves and go beyond JHMCS (so much for "Joint" and common helmet strategy), but used same arguments as F-22 as to the end of merges due to stealth so AIM-9X was not considered a priority and a loadout of 2 AMRAAMs was selected in lieu of AIM-9X. From the start, the priority was air-to-ground so AIM-9X was shuffled to the back of pack.

So AIM-9X was integrated onto the F-15C in the USAF as the lead platform and F/A-18C for the Navy and Marine Corps. F-16C and F/A-18E/F became the next wave (Navy switched F/A-18E/F to be IOC platform for JHMCS even though it had almost completed DT on the F/A-18C, but that's another story).

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My understanding was that in large part this had to do with the fact that Sniper XR was incompatible with carrier launches... ATFLIR still has a lot left to be desired from what we were promised...

Not quite, Sniper was designed from the beginning for the F/A-18, but an urban legend was seeded that it wasn't carrier compatible when in fact, LMCO committed $35M of internal funding to actually put one on the table when their competitor had not completed design work on their offering.

JIMC5499

ex-Mech
We've heard all this before -- starting somewhere @ the Korean War. Anytime an engineer says "don't worry, trust us ... " .... you'd better watch out.

Hey! I resemble that remark!:D

Doesn't the Air Farce remember the 1950's? They seem to be using the same arguements again and they are probably going to have the same results.

To quote A4's "The more things change, the more they remain the same."

I wonder what the speed and G loadings are for that external gun pod are?

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Hey! I resemble that remark!:D

Doesn't the Air Farce remember the 1950's? They seem to be using the same arguements again and they are probably going to have the same results.

To quote A4's "The more things change, the more they remain the same."

I wonder what the speed and G loadings are for that external gun pod are?

I think you are mistaken, The Air Force version (F-35A) is the only one that has an internal gun. It's the Marine (F-35B STOVL) and Navy (F-35C) that will have the external gun pod. The Navy wants more gas, and the Marines have that huge lift fan, so there wasn't room for an internal gun in either the B or C variant.

JIMC5499

ex-Mech
I think you are mistaken, The Air Force version (F-35A) is the only one that has an internal gun. It's the Marine (F-35B STOVL) and Navy (F-35C) that will have the external gun pod. The Navy wants more gas, and the Marines have that huge lift fan, so there wasn't room for an internal gun in either the B or C variant.

Sorry I was referring to the Sidewinder capability on the F-22 more than anything. The Navy fouled up too when it got the Phantom without guns in the 60's.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Sorry I was referring to the Sidewinder capability on the F-22 more than anything. The Navy fouled up too when it got the Phantom without guns in the 60's.

Ahh, I misunderstood what you were getting at.

Yeah, leave it to the AF to get a really big expensive toy and not put something pretty important on it.