• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NAS Oceana

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Mefesto said:
Or Rosie Roads, or Barbers Point, or Jax, or let some shoe give Miramar to the Marines... etc etc etc

I'm ok with closing Rosie Roads as a message for the Puerto Ricans. Fvck em.

Though it was still a choice location, that's true...

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
Yeah anyone know what the other options are right now? Word on the street is that Cecil withdrew their offer if VA Beach doesn't pony up.

Yeah, the JAX residents joined the crowd of folks who don't want us...

Some Congress-person from Texas was talking about Kingsville... yeah... that's a good one...

petescheu

K-Rok??? ONE year was enough, I can't imagine having to go back to that dump for a three year tour. I think some Texas congressman needs to shut his cake hole...

codtanker

United Airlines
pilot
This issue is rehashed every few years with Oceana. Years ago when I was stationed there and the higher ups were discussing options, especially with the outlying field to the South (Fentress), Cecil was mentioned again, along with building a floating field just off the coast. Of course The Pilot never reruns the articles that were printed just after 9/11 and how many people loved having those damn noisy aircraft flying 24/7.

Even when I was in Meridian, it was mentioned as a possible option to having the Hornets moved from Oceana. Cheap land and very few people to bother is one of the things that the Navy will look at. The problem with that is though, logistically it seems that it would be a nightmare because of it's location from the Carriers leaving port.

Ex Rigger

pilot
I don't really see how logistically that would be a problem. When I was in VF-211 out of NAS Oceana we deployed on the Stennis out of San Diego...so we had to travel all the way there along with the Prowler guys from Whidbey.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
codtanker said:
The problem with that is though, logistically it seems that it would be a nightmare because of it's location from the Carriers leaving port.

There is ramp space, though. Although I would likely stab my eyes out if I had to spend a fleet tour here.

Lawman

None
nittany03 said:
There is ramp space, though. Although I would likely stab my eyes out if I had to spend a fleet tour here.

Hey whenever your duty assignment gets you down theres a simple thing you can tell yourself to feel better about where you are. At least its not Minot. Thats all the gets my friend Ben through the day as he sits around Holloman.

JData

Lawman said:
Gotta remember the demographic your dealing with In the Oceana Area, lots of people that see it as not only their right but duty to complain about inane little things that effect them in more positive ways then negative.

Isn't that mainly with anyone in the US? People will complain about anything. Although they are far more simpletons out in the mid west than the rest of the country IMHO.

codtanker

United Airlines
pilot
Logistic nightmare

Yea, I know that there is some squadrons that do the cross country thing for deployments and even workups. But can you imagine nearly the entire airwing flying cross country for a 3 day CQ outing. Is that cost effective, probably not.

One of the problems that was present in the VA Beach area is the fact that a lot of the new houses that were sold in the Fentress area were done during a period when the runways were being resurfaced the airfield was virtually closed for a year. Low and behold people started really complaining when the field opened up and the Hornets, Tomcats, Hawkeyes and CODs showed up for 24/7 operations.

Yet for some reason we had one house on downwind that we were not allowed to fly over so we had to alter our turns, abeam position and altitude to please the people on the ground.

So why not put the squadrons in Meridian, hell why not Kingsville, plenty of land there I'm sure.

BurghGuy

Master your ego, and you own your destiny.
Well, anywhere you move them it's either going to be a logistical/support nightmare, i.e. middle of nowhere, or turn into another NIMBY that US citizens are so well known for.