• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Naval Aviator Wings Cover Device

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Tried several searches to no avail, but I remember seeing it on here before (perhaps in the AWG's thread?) but are the mini-wings still permitted for wear on the garrison cover? This article seems to suggest no, but I recall seeing it somewhere around here... Just curious.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Tried several searches to no avail, but I remember seeing it on here before (perhaps in the AWG's thread?) but are the mini-wings still permitted for wear on the garrison cover? This article seems to suggest no, but I recall seeing it somewhere around here... Just curious.

Your ref. article says nothing that I can find about mini-wings on the garrison cap. It says only says collar size rank device on one side, and half-size cap device on the other.

I believe NA wings on 'P-cutters' ended just after WWII. I've seen photos of them on both AWG & Khaki garrison caps. One was of ADM Marc Mitscher on the bridge, and other of ADM Bull Halsey! One, or both of these photos may have been on AW a while back, I'm not sure.

* I'm guessing the first post-WWII 'Shoe' CNO had a hand in their demise!:rolleyes:
BzB

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
I've seen mini-wings worn on garrison caps on numerous occasions. First guy I saw wearing this was one of my first CAG paddles. I also remember seeing a lot of VF guys sporting the mini-wings circa '03-'06.

Personally, I kinda like it and would like to see it normalized.

With respect to BusyBee's historical insight - if "we've" brought back service dress khakis, why not this?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What would the point be? It's not like we don't already have plenty of ways to distinguish ourselves from our SWO brethren. IMO, the officer's crest on our garrison covers says, "officer first, designator second."

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Well thanks for the advice. I was just curious as I had head rumors it was still authorized and saw several of the mannequins in the Naval Aviation museum wearing them but obviously couldn't find it in the regs at all.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
When you're mentioned in the same breath with Halsey and Mitscher, you can wear mini-wings on your cover.

6a00e550199efb883301116847083f970c-800wi

Renegade One

None
What would the point be? It's not like we don't already have plenty of ways to distinguish ourselves from our SWO brethren. IMO, the officer's crest on our garrison covers says, "officer first, designator second."
Well, perhaps when we get an aviator back in the CNO's office . . .
Concur with Brett. And to respond to Robav8r...my educated guess...not even then. There was "one brief shining moment"...the CONA year...when this MAY have worked...but only for that 12 months. If you tried to do it now...it would of necessity have to now include every sort of breast insignia now authorized...officer as well as enlisted, so what's the point in that?
Separate question (no thread-jack intended...) I had heard a couple of years ago that there was a plan afoot to award all newly-designated Naval Aviators who got their wings during the CONA year the "old-school pattern" NA wings...with the feathers instead of "little dots" in the "armpit" of the wings...if that makes sense. Did that ever come to fruition...?

CAMike

None
Contributor
Never trust a "Mannequin" or look alike.

Unless of course you trust Barack Obama! (and his sustained "I am God" line of credit)

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Never trust a "Mannequin" or look alike.

Unless of course you trust Barack Obama! (and his sustained "I am God" line of credit)
You're just as bad as the idiots who post politically motivated things in aircraft mishap news story message sections. Take your partisanship elsewhere.

CAMike

None
Contributor
UnSat retort Brett...

You have absolutely no basis for defending #1 who tripled the national debt since George Bush, yet continues to blame GW even though he can't work his way out of the current situation.

Wings on a cover device? Actually YES, the wings of the Officer Crest do qualify as wings on the Garrison cover if you choose to look at reality that way. I grew up near Berkeley but I saw the light at a fairly early age. The way you choose to view reality is fair game.

gparks1989

pilot
Contributor
UnSat retort Brett...

You have absolutely no basis for defending #1 who tripled the national debt since George Bush, yet continues to blame GW even though he can't work his way out of the current situation.

Wings on a cover device? Actually YES, the wings of the Officer Crest do qualify as wings on the Garrison cover if you choose to look at reality that way. I grew up near Berkeley but I saw the light at a fairly early age. The way you choose to view reality is fair game.

He's never actually defended Obama, just told you and others to take your political rantings elsewhere...doesn't really jive with the rules of conduct of the website. Your reply had nothing to do with the topic at hand.

And no, I'm not a Trotskyite...a Republican, in fact.

SynixMan

Mobilizer Extraordinaire
pilot
Contributor
Separate question (no thread-jack intended...) I had heard a couple of years ago that there was a plan afoot to award all newly-designated Naval Aviators who got their wings during the CONA year the "old-school pattern" NA wings...with the feathers instead of "little dots" in the "armpit" of the wings...if that makes sense. Did that ever come to fruition...?

*looks down*. Nope, same as everyone else's. Did see a few people with custom 14k gold wings who may have had the old pattern.