• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Naval F-16 A/B??

Sundown

Eight-year-olds, Dude...
I don't know if I'm totally out of line here, but since when did the Navy get F-16s? I was on the naval website goofing around and stumbled into the aircraft fact sheet, which I usually like to read once a month, and saw the F-16 listed with our fighters. Obviously it's new to the fact sheet, but I was wondering if anybody here knew about this prior to it being posted on navy.mil. Also, could we start dreaming about some CV based falcons or is my head way to far in the clouds?

http://www.navy.mil/navydata/fact_display.asp?cid=1100&tid=1150&ct=1

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
I am not the most qualified to answer, but I believe we use the F-16N in the adversarial role at NSAWC.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
HH-60H said:
I am not the most qualified to answer, but I believe we use the F-16N in the adversarial role at NSAWC.
Yes, they're for adversary training, and no, they will not be going to the boat.

Brett

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Not certain, but I'm pretty sure they disappreared a long time ago (independent of what NTPS might still have) because the Navy bent them. Since they were used as advesaries, their service life was used up faster than they thought and they had airframe problems. Since the Navy already had Hornet A-models they needed to get rid of, they decided to give them to the VFC squadrons instead of replacing the F-16N.

Grant

All F-16N's are gone, I believe. But I've read that in the past few years, NSAWC pulled a bunch of embargoed F-16 A/B's out of AMARC to replace the F-16N's. The A/B's were built to be sold to Pakistan in the late 80's-early 90's, but we called off the sale because at the time Pakistan refused to stop nuclear research. Since they were brand new and just sitting there, the Navy decided to put them to good use as adversaries.

JT Eagle

They are F-16A/B Block 15 OCUs. They were originally for Pakistan, as stated, and paid for. Then, in an effort to get rid of them, they were offered to New Zealand, who paid a large deposit towards a lease and probable purchase and then cancelled the deal, forefiting the money. By the time these aircraft were divided up between the USAF at Edwards AFB and the Navy, (14 each I believe) they had earned quite a lot of money for the Treasury. Oh, and they each only have about 11 hours test and delivery time on the clock. Anyone seen one of these jets in the flesh in Navy markings? Any photos on the web?

JT

B

Blutonski816

I have seen a few pics online... I forgot where exactly, but yeah they're all up in Fallon

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You mean they NEVER went to the boat?? I'm SURE I read about that around here a few months ago . . .

Sorry. I couldn't resist.

Chubby

JT Eagle said:
Anyone seen one of these jets in the flesh in Navy markings? Any photos on the web?

JT

For the jarheads...
AggrF16N-07.jpg

And for the swabbies...
f16n.jpg

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
This year's budget I believe had the Navy buying some more F-16Ns.

Sundown

Eight-year-olds, Dude...
what a let down

Thanks for the imput gentlemen. I'm not gonna lie to y'all, I'm more then a little disappointed there won't be a large force of 16s around. I got real giddy when I saw that info on the navy website. My question is if they've been using these planes for training, why did they just currently add them to the fact file sheet? Guess I'll have to strive to be an instructor at Miramar if I wanna fly one of those bad boys.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Sundown said:
Thanks for the imput gentlemen. I'm not gonna lie to y'all, I'm more then a little disappointed there won't be a large force of 16s around. I got real giddy when I saw that info on the navy website. My question is if they've been using these planes for training, why did they just currently add them to the fact file sheet? Guess I'll have to strive to be an instructor at Miramar if I wanna fly one of those bad boys.
Miramar? Why would you find them there?

Brett

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Sundown said:

Try these guys.....they have all the F-16's you could ever dream of; and it gets better....

They have been waiting for you