• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy Attack Helos?

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
Navalized AH-64 helo model??????

52.jpg

Years ago when the army was beginning to field the AH-64 Apache, McDonnel-Douglas released an artist's conception of a navalized AH-64 helo - brimming with Hellfire missles,lifting off the deck of an FFG. This illustration was printed in Proceedings and from what I heard (pure rumor) was that the light attack community just about had a heart attack. I don't know all the details but you never, ever saw that picture again.

never say never :D (got to love google)

Attachments

• 21cc.jpg
    21cc.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 123

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I'm sure Skid, Stearman, or bobbybrock can comment better on this, but in general, yes, the Army will come out and recover on the LHAs. It's an easy way to get them into theatre when we don't actually occupy real estate in the troubled area. The Army initiated JSHIP a while back, which integrated naval training...basically getting them familiar w/ shipboard ops and making sure they know what's going on. In the end, they practice on both small decks and big decks.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Just a few years ago a whole carrier was overtaken by Army helos for a mission.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Didn't the Navy have attack helos back in Vietnam? What were the names. . .umm. . . Seawolves, I think. They basically flew UH-1s with rockets and miniguns on them. Why did that die out? Also, why not bring them back with say a UH-60 mounted with rockets and miniguns? Seems like that would be a good asset for brown water operations.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
See above posts... Also, there was thing called the cold war. Kind of refocused everything towards blue water Navy and killing the Red horde. Again, the -60 Seahawk is either getting those things or has them.

HH-60H:

I can't remember, did you guys ever get the GAU-17, or did that just get tested and then disappear?

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
I wish we could get the DAP version of the 60. From what I have been told, the "Armed Helo Kit" for the 60S is supposed to come online in Oct. 06. As of now it is supposed to include 2 internal aux tanks, capability to carry up to 8 hellfires or guided rockets in addition to the window mounted guns. Unfortunately I dont see forward mounted "flex" guns in the near future. There seems to be serious opposition to that idea with the higher ups in the Navy. Something about not wanting our Helos with a direct action role overland... Although with the new capabilities we have, things seems to be moving up. I definately dont see a full attack helo in our inventory in the future.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Which again goes back to LOGIR (there's a thread on here about it). Everyone wanted forward firing guns until just this year when NAVAIR came out w/ what they want to give us. Once everyone saw it, they said they wanted that. Time will tell.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
HH-60H:

I can't remember, did you guys ever get the GAU-17, or did that just get tested and then disappear?

Well, it's in our NATOPS, and the Hotels are supposed to have the controllers for them, but I have never seen one.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
For those of you that have actually detted out to the small boys, are the helo crews busy doing actual missions alot, or is most of your flying time spent "fooling" around?

Actually, helicopter pilots just fly to fill time between those lucky days when we get to see jet guys and listen to their stories about actual missions.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
We don't need gunship helos, we need a P-3 with a belly turret equipped with two mini-guns and wings filled with a sh!t ton of mavs. Hell, i'd settle for fake guns if it made us look tough!

really, i just want something to make this pig at least kinda cool. To quote someone in my squadron observing an emergency landing recently, "Even our emergencies are lame."

//end threadjack//

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
We don't need gunship helos, we need a P-3 with a belly turret equipped with two mini-guns and wings filled with a sh!t ton of mavs. Hell, i'd settle for fake guns if it made us look tough!

really, i just want something to make this pig at least kinda cool. To quote someone in my squadron observing an emergency landing recently, "Even our emergencies are lame."

//end threadjack//

HAHAHAHA That made my day. But you get all the extra per diem, so it should balance out right?:D

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
We don't need gunship helos, we need a P-3 with a belly turret equipped with two mini-guns and wings filled with a sh!t ton of mavs.
//end threadjack//

I'll settle for a laser designator in the AIMS pod for upgraded Mavericks. But maybe that's just me.

Propstop have you deployed to the Gulf yet? If not, be patient. You'll have your time. (edit: before anyone jumps my sh!t I'm not talking about shooting stuff)

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
ghost119 said:
Correct this if it is wrong PropStop. I looked up the P-3 and the stats say that this is what it can carry.

Armament up to around 20,000 pounds (9 metric tons) internal and external loads

Bomb Bay:

8 MK 46/50 Torpedoes
8 MK 54 Depth Bombs
3 MK 36/52 1000 lb Mines
3 MK 57 Depth Bombs
2 MK 101 Depth Bombs
1 MK 25/39/55/56 2000 lb Mine

Two Center-Section Pylons:

2 Harpoon (AGM-84)
2 Maverick (AGM 65)
2 MK 46/50 Torpedoes
2 2000 lb Mines

Three Under Outer Wing Pylons,
[Per Wing -Inboard to Outboard):

2 MK 46/50 Torpedo or 1000 lb Mine
2 MK 46/50 Torpedo or 1000 lb Mine or Rockets
2 MK 46/50 Torpedo or 500 lb Mine or Rockets

A total maximum weapon load includes
6 2,000 lb mines under wings
2 MK 101 depth bombs
4 MK 50 torpedoes
87 sonobuoys
pyrotechnics, signals,

p-3-bay.jpg

Can it really carry all this? Or do you just want more.
I don't know where you copied/pasted all that bad gouge from, but it couldn't be a whole lot more inaccurate or confusing. Torps on the wing stations?, B-57s (not MK-57)?, and 87 buoys (not 88, but 87) - ridiculous.

Brett

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
While we can carry a lot, nobody likes to let the fat kid have the fun toys. We're lucky to get smoke flares and a SLAM CATM (training device) on any given mission.

I have dropped a few 1000lb shapes though using our bomb sight (something marginally more advanced than the Nordon bomb sight of WWII fame). Watch out you dirka dirka types, i can put 1000lbs of blue death within 100yds of you!

Zab, haven't been to the Gulf yet, hanging out in the vicinity of John though....