• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy Attack Helos?

Stearmann4

I'm here for the Jeeehawd!
None
For the Navy to fund a dedicated attack helicopter, it would probably take a demonstrated instance (or several) of side mounted weapons not being able to accomplish the mission.

As for the MH-60L (DAP), extremely capable dedicated gunship. But, it's just that, a gunship. DAP pilots are on the live fire range 3 times a week at least when we're not deployed. It would be extremely hard for the Navy to fund that kind of proficiency. Also. The DAPs are capable of having the wings removed for an assault configuration. I suspect, a Navy version would spend most of it's time in the stripped down/assault configuration so it could VERTREP, ASW, etc. in order to get the most for the money. My personal opinion is with the HSC/HCS guys finally getting their feet wet(or dry as it may be), the Navy could get value out of plumbing the R/S for a refueling probe. That way the -60 guys aren't tied to an FOB. Although, it does increase your mission planning ten-fold!

For the current maritime threat, I can't forsee any problems that a R/S -60 and a motivated door gunner with a GAU couldn't get rid of.

BTW, we're at NASNI for the next week or so. PM me if any of you guys here want the tour.

Mike-

Stearmann4

I'm here for the Jeeehawd!
None
I guess it depends on what you consider a "good" story. I will tell you that I suffered from several months of culture shock after transfering over. The flying is great, but if you haven't grown up in the Army culture, it takes some getting used to.

As for stories I lived in Coronado for 12 years, only to be sent directly to Ft Rucker AL to check into Warrant Officer Candidate/Flight School. Since I hadn't been issued any Army uniforms, I checked in (or "inprocessed" in Army speak) wearing my typical attire, A Night & Day Cafe T-shirt, surf shorts and flip-flops. Guess how well that was received?

Lastly, the type of flying I do and the unit I was fortunate enough to belong to have afforded some great opportunities, and alot of flying. That said, based strictly on quality of life issues, I'd go back to the Navy without a second thought. Maybe I'm getting soft in my old age.

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
wearing my typical attire, A Night & Day Cafe T-shirt, surf shorts and flip-flops.
I haven't been stationed at NASNI since '94, but I was just talking about the Night & Day to my wife last night (the diner in LA Confidential reminds me of it). What a great spoon that place is... :)

Lawman

None
I don't know where you copied/pasted all that bad gouge from, but it couldn't be a whole lot more inaccurate or confusing. Torps on the wing stations?, B-57s (not MK-57)?, and 87 buoys (not 88, but 87) - ridiculous.

Brett

Wait.... isnt the B-57 a Tactical Nuclear Weapon? Yeah thats a bit more then a minor typo.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
B-61s and B-83s don't fall under START II?
I'm not an expert and I'd have to review the language of the treaty, but it has to do with method of delivery, among other things. We used to practice loading B-57 shapes in my P-3 days up until '93, although the hardware in the aircraft for carrying/arming/delivering the weapons was still installed after the treaty went into effect. I have no first hand knowledge of what the A-6 community did at that point, but I suspect that their nuke carrying days ended at that point as well. The carriers were supposedly "nuke free" after that and the only aircraft deliverable weapons were on strategic bomber platforms like B-52/B-1, etc.

Brett

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm not an expert and I'd have to review the language of the treaty, but it has to do with method of delivery, among other things. We used to practice loading B-57 shapes in my P-3 days up until '93, although the hardware in the aircraft for carrying/arming/delivering the weapons was still installed after the treaty went into effect. I have no first hand knowledge of what the A-6 community did at that point, but I suspect that their nuke carrying days ended at that point as well. The carriers were supposedly "nuke free" after that and the only aircraft deliverable weapons were on strategic bomber platforms like B-52/B-1, etc.

Brett

Hmm ok. I'm willing to bet we have more than enough B-61 and B-83 for our Hornets, Vipers, and such though....

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor

Brett
I was the Nuke Weps guy on the TR when this all came down. The official publically stated policy (as of then) was that the tactical nukes were to remain in the inventory with the capcity to regenerate squadron delivery capabilities. While the U.S. reserved the right to deploy these weapons at any time without notice, we just did not do so as a routine policy anymore except on SSBNs. (Obviously not the exact wording).

Lots of things wrong or missing from that P-3 load out ghost posted.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hmm ok. I'm willing to bet we have more than enough B-61 and B-83 for our Hornets, Vipers, and such though....
We may have the shapes, but I'll bet they don't train to that mission.

Brett

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
from Navy attack helos all the way to the nuclear option in 22 easy posts, talk about escallation.