• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy Freezes PCS Moves Through September

desertoasis

Something witty.
None
Contributor
^^Yes, how does this apply to commissioning officers? Is it different from USNA to ROTC to OCS? Do we count as "entering or leaving the Navy?"

Pretty sure it will fall under 'those entering the military'. Since SNA's don't get PCSed to Pensacola it shouldn't be a problem for them. The FO's will either do the wait at their home unit like they were trying to get started (though I hear they try to start that every year) or they'll be able to PCS to Pensacola without trouble.

gotta_fly

pilot
The article says it applies to normal rotations and I don't know that moving through the pipeline counts as a normal rotation, so we might be safe.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Not to be a dick, but you guys should be more concerned about getting wings and not when the Navy is going to PCS you somewhere after you get said wings... Food for thought.

exhelodrvr

pilot
Any guesses on how much of an impact this will have on people graduating/commissioning here soon who are supposed to head to Pensacola to start the ol' SNA/SNFO pipeline?
Just wondering since I graduate/commission next Friday (and still have no orders yet)...
Suppose I'll fall under the "holding pattern at present command" category at first.

My son gets commissioned in June; he just found out he will be staying at the ROTC unit until "late August/September."

Looks like they are running out of money in that pot, and most people will have to wait until the new fiscal year.

rugby mike

Not to be a dick, but you guys should be more concerned about getting wings and not when the Navy is going to PCS you somewhere after you get said wings... Food for thought.

Not to be a bigger dick, but if people can't PCS from primary for 5 months that delays them to be able to get said wings.

loadtoad

pilot
Contributor

You're right. I'll buckle down for my last few flights and not worry if my wife should quit her job or if she will be able to start grad school next fall because we're stuck in Milton. Flight school keeps you busy but not that busy.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
My son gets commissioned in June; he just found out he will be staying at the ROTC unit until "late August/September."

Looks like they are running out of money in that pot, and most people will have to wait until the new fiscal year.

Maybe, but things have been that way to some extent for at least the last few years. Most of my friends from NROTC ended up reporting in Sept/Oct following our senior year, and I know there has been talk over the last year or two of holding studs @ their commissioning sources rather than having them languish in A-pool for months on end.

kilikopela

pilot
Spoke to my skipper yesterday and he mentioned this among other budget crunches coming to us in the fleet... My understanding is that the "big" Navy will be affected by these PCS freezes but not so much within CNATRA or leaving TRACOMs heading to the RAGs. That being said...I wing today and we'll see how long it takes to cut orders for me to leave K-Rock!

Pistol719

Will Over Skill
pilot
Contributor
Go chill in OKC. Lots to do there.

Could of fooled me.. Been here for the last 3 months for job training (I work for the FAA currently) Nothing to do here but get fat from random BBQ place A or wait for another Ice storm to hit.. J/k

Actually Im just spoiled because I am from Florida.. OKC really is a pretty nice place and the people here are very friendly.. I suggest going down to bricktown and checking out Tapwerks if you have not already.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Settle down, guys. There's no way they can freeze students in place in the Program. Student flow is carefully planned and managed, and turning off PCS money for students would essentially shut down the flight training program. The resulting train wreck would be phenomenal and take years to un-fuck.

Guys in the Fleet need to worry about this, not students. Chill and study.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

No, not it at all. That's part of the new program to keep students at their comissioning source until they class up, rather than in A-Pool. The theory is that if they fuck up while waiting, it's their problem, not NASC's.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
So, big picture time, this PCS freeze is actually a good thing. They are doing it so as to avoid involuntary separations. That means AN Schmukatelli doesn't have to worry about getting fired because his boss can't pay his bills. Remember, all about the big picture guys...