• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy Pilot Flying C-17's

sm13464

I'm coming to the end of my sea tour and would like to fly C-17's for my next set of orders. Has anyone ever heard of orders for navy pilots to go fly air force planes for a few years? I'd also like to make it clear that I have no desire to leave the navy and join the air force.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I'm not saying it isn't, but I am curious what a Navy pilot is doing in Amsterdam on a first sea tour. It's possible, I'm just asking...

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Judging by the ridiculous post, I'd say a pound of their finest Cheebah.

sm13464

Now that people have taken the time to post completely useless replies to my post, yes this is real, no I am not in amsterdam. If anyone has anything relevant to add to this conversation, please do. For those of you who would like to continue pretending you're funny, do whatever makes you feel good.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Ask a weird question, get weird answers. Anyway, C-17s probably aren't the kind of thing where you can just call up the detailer and ask to fly for the USAF. Recommend scouring the message board for messages about exchange tours and the like.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Now that people have taken the time to post completely useless replies to my post, yes this is real, no I am not in amsterdam. If anyone has anything relevant to add to this conversation, please do. For those of you who would like to continue pretending you're funny, do whatever makes you feel good.

I think you wanting to fly C-17s is funny, but you are in good company because I think all of the other posters are funny too.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Come on now...you've got to give a little to take a little. You ask a vague question w/ no details. I stand corrected regarding your location, as the first IP lookup I used was incorrect. So for that, I appologize.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

There a number of exchange/PEP assignments available including instructor duty in USAF C-130J, but you need to reveal more about your background. You need to establish some street cred here and at least provide type aircraft you're flying now for folks to help. BTW- you can expect irrevelant comments when you try to be funny by posting a profile with smart ass comments like: location - in a house

Reactions: Tom

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator

Who's going to take you seriously? Your profile is a joke...at attempt at being funny I take it. Perhaps your way of pretending to be funny, as you put it. It would seem you aren't serious and thus, your question wasn't taken seriously. Now, if you want to be taken serious, grow some thick skin, give some detail and maybe some of these guys can help you.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Funny thing is, I know someone who did get to fly USAF C-17s. Not exactly in the capacity sm13464 is describing, but it happened. Regardless, I'm curious what the definition of "coming close to the end of my sea tour" is in terms of months from PRD. Did you come up with this idea yourself, or is it in the rumor mill? Kind of like that mythical C-12 gig in the PI.

But to answer the question, no, I have never heard of someone (1) from the USN and (2) with no C-17 background getting assigned an exchange billet with a C-17 unit. While you do have jet guys doing that type of exchange (i.e. pointy nose to pointy nose), I have yet to hear of any USAF types doing a 3 year tour with a fleet squadron in any other community (helo guys? anything?).

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm coming to the end of my sea tour and would like to fly C-17's for my next set of orders. Has anyone ever heard of orders for navy pilots to go fly air force planes for a few years? I'd also like to make it clear that I have no desire to leave the navy and join the air force.
Wait, so you're a SWO and you want to do an interservice transfer to the Air Force to fly C-17's..?

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
While you do have jet guys doing that type of exchange (i.e. pointy nose to pointy nose), I have yet to hear of any USAF types doing a 3 year tour with a fleet squadron in any other community (helo guys? anything?).

right

edit: Point being, you need SOME kind of common background to make the exchange viable. Jet to jet makes sense (even different platforms). Jet to helo, not so much. Pretty much anything except VR C-130 to C-17? Even that's a major stretch. This guy said he's a Navy guy. Unless something major has changed recently, sounds like a pipe dream.

(Keep in mind, I said the same thing about USN CWO pilots...)

edit 2: if you have that big of a hard-on to take a full on shower in the AF kool-aid, there´s always T-37s (for how long who knows), T-6s, and T-1s as an IP.