• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy Pilot Flying C-17's

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
There is/was a helo exchange tour that sent sent an HS (maybe other communities?) to the Air Force 60G RQS, but that is not an operational unit.

hscs

pilot
The helo exchange is to an operational unit -- I ran into one of my 2Ps on exchange with them in the desert. Think twice before doing this exchange...

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I knew a guy who was HSL (read was sh!tcanned from HSL) and transitioned to VP. He didn't make O-4. He never even made HAC or 1P in either community...no time.

Also knew a Navy O-4 HS pilot who flew station air C-12 and H-1 SAR out of Lemoore to earn fixed wing time. Got a transition to MAJ in the USAF flying heavy tankers for the USAF.

It can be done...but probably not out of a first tour.

Scamahmrd

Boiler Up!
pilot
HSCS,

Why do you say to think twice before doing the exchange (other than obvious career implications?)

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
The helo exchange is to an operational unit -- I ran into one of my 2Ps on exchange with them in the desert. Think twice before doing this exchange...

Is there more than one helo exchange? There is a guy in my neighborhood who did one to the RQS only.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I have NO IDEA why a Navy guy would want to fly Air Force C-17's ... just be a man of your convictions and get out and fly 747's for the airlines ... that's what all the Air Force C-17 guys want to do .... :)

Believe it ...

FA-18 Mousse

Reserve Hornet Bubba
pilot
Better yet, get out at the end of your obligated service, fly 747s for your day job, and join the AF Reserves flying C-17s on the side. Great way to make ends meet during the "lean years" with the airlines.

FYI- The C-17 guys in McChord are always hiring folks....!!

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Better yet, get out at the end of your obligated service, fly 747s for your day job, and join the AF Reserves flying C-17s on the side. Great way to make ends meet during the "lean years" with the airlines.

FYI- The C-17 guys in McChord are always hiring folks....!!
Better still yet ... get out ... fly 747's across the Big Pond ... fly A-4s in the Adversary unit @ NAS Dallas ... and .... and ....

You meant they're all gone??? The 747's AND the A-4's ???:eek:

Side note: during my first airline furlough ... I flew hot & heavy with the Reserves -- over 120 days the first year of furlough. Put food on the table, paid the electric bill, and then some ....

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
...FYI- The C-17 guys in McChord are always hiring folks....!!
And there's a reason why .... :)

Here's a story problem: What is the name of the "famous" aviation author/expert-on-virtually-everything/renaissance man/bon vivant that the McChord Wing fired from his Reserve job after Gulf 1 ??? :)

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
...Side note: during my first airline furlough ... I flew hot & heavy with the Reserves -- over 120 days the first year of furlough. Put food on the table, paid the electric bill, and then some ....
Preach'n to the choir, my 'bruddah'…….

With my own airline furlough (just off probation pay) and as a new Reserve "without pay" on the long list waiting for a Reserve flying billet, I accepted the BuPers' Combat Placement Officer's repeated requests for my return to extended active duty on a short term 'contract', supposedly due to a pilot shortage.

I accepted, flew A-4's for two years, mostly ACM, and surprisingly had one of the better experiences of my personal, flying, and naval career. Even CBS sent a crew to follow me, and document my reverse, airline-to-active-duty experience, which segment was shown a couple of times on national news.

Subsequently, I lost my airline job to Frank Lorenzo, but the Reserves saved my bacon. And eventually (although I loved the A-4) the Reserves allowed me to return to part-time flying the F-14, which I had flown on active duty, and to fill the gap while I eventually gained other airline employment.

Bottom line? All your advice on this subject is spot on!

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
A4sForever? :icon_tong
46499391bl1.jpg
:skull_125

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Preach'n to the choir, my 'bruddah'……....Even CBS sent a crew to follow me, and document my reverse, airline-to-active-duty experience, which segment was shown a couple of times on national news.....!
HEY!! ME TOO !!! Kinda .... sort of ...

KDFW (WFAA?) was going to feature me (amongst others down on their luck) on the evening news hour in Dallas during the "Reagan Recession" ... at least they would ask me a few questions while I was waiting my turn in the unemployment line shortly after the airline bankruptcy ... when my "turn" came, they stuck a camera in my three-day-old-beard-face and asked something to the effect of:

"... And what was YOUR trade prior to becoming unemployed during this current economic downturn ... "??

To which I replied, of course, "Oh, me?? I'm an airline pilot and a Naval Aviator. I'm going flying tomorrow with the Reserves ... "

"CUT"!!! And they moved on ... thus ending my opportunity to share the pain and humiliation of unemployment across the dinner table with the American public ... :D

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
while I was waiting my turn in the unemployment line shortly after the airline bankruptcy ... ... thus ending my opportunity to share the pain and humiliation of unemployment across the dinner table with the American public ... :D
It's easier now days....no unemployment lines....you can do it all over the phone or via the internet.....no public humilation.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
It's easier now days....no unemployment lines....you can do it all over the phone or via the internet.....no public humilation.
Ahhh ... kinder & gentler ... and -- as a result -- less scrutiny of a real "job hunt" as well, I would imagine.... :)